[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (173KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173KB, 1024x1024px
How can I meet a guy who doesn't play video games?

Please don't lecture me on how it's not my business, but video games are such an unattractive time waste that prevents them getting important stuff done. I just want a normal man not getting distracted over silly toys.
>>
>>18297152
>but video games are such an unattractive time waste that prevents them getting important stuff done

You could say the same form any hobby.
>>
>>18297152
I'll answer yours if you can answer me this

How can I meet a girl who doesn't shop for hours?

Please don't lecture me on how its not my business, but shopping is such an unattractive time waste that prevents them getting important stuff done. I just want a normal girl not getting distracted over silly clothes.
>>
>>18297153
I mean at least playing sports as a hobby has its health benefits. Reading? More knowledge. Sitting on your ass playing violent shooters while we're home together? Not so much.
>>
>>18297153
Yes, but video games don't really cultivate and improve you as others do. Reading, working out, and painting are all examples of hobbies that add to you. Of course the argument of everything ultimately being a waste of time is valid but it would be silly to argue that some don't have more of a benefit as opposed to others.

>>18297152
It would be pretty difficult. >>18297164 has a point, you can't really know unless you straight up ask them. Suppose you really hit it off with someone and it ends up they do, what then? So many guys play video games that its difficult to weed out the ones that do. If it's something that bothers you then be upfront about it.
>>
>>18297168

And if I read novels? Stories and fictional shit? Like fantasy of sci fi. Is that worth it?

What about being a cinephile? Or drawing? Or building with wood?
>>
Start with a hobby of your own choosing which has a social aspect to it and meet men through it.
Example: bouldering, couple's dancing.. tandem bicycling..? You get the idea
>>
>>18297172
>Reading, working out, and painting are all examples of hobbies that add to you.

Read here: >>18297180
>>
So what if you find a guy who reads, works out, plays a sport, etc etc AND plays games? What then?
>>
>>18297168
>reading gives you knowledge
do you read text books as a hobby?
>>
>>18297216
You don't have to read a textbook but books such as Republic or Utopia fill you with knowledge and insight into humanity
>>
>>18297219

And if I read Harry Potter?
>>
>>18297152
just go for literally any athlete
he may play hearthstone or something but he probably won't have time for real video games
>>
>>18297164
A girl who looks pretty has to shop for hours. That's how she gets nice clothes that match and flatter her body. I like playing video games but let's not pretend it's not one of the most unproductive hobbies.
>>
>>18297219
nobody and i fucking mean nobody has ever read Republic as a hobby, and unless you have a background into philo, no it wont give you insight into jack shit. 10 times out of 10 when people list reading as a hobby, they mean anne rice.
>>
>>18297152
Buy flantasy flan
>>
>>18297234
>A girl who looks pretty has to shop for hours.
bull fucking shit. just wear something, who gives a fuck about your clothes?
>>
I think OP is trolling us very poorly. OP expected us to jump to defend Video Games like fanatics, but instead we are poking holes in her theory. Books doesn't automatically mean smart, everyone knows that. Twilight is a book.
>>
>>18297236
I read it for fun. Go on /lit/ if you want to be surrounded by people who read that type of literature for fun
>>18297226
>>18297248
You're right, not every book is conducive to one's intelligence. When I mentioned reading I should have specified that I meant literature that was meant to improve the reader.
>>18297234
Lol shopping for hours isn't a great hobby. Wasting time on materialism is no better than playing video games for hours on end.
>>
>>18297234
I somewhat disagree depending on the age of OP.

If the guy is under 25 and/or not building a career yet it can be beneficial to play online video games.

Thanks to online video games I have friends all over Europe now who I can visit and stay over at whenever I'm travelling. Other than that getting to know so many different cultures has really helped me while building a company with a lot of international relationships.

It really helps for example that I have friends in Norway who I visit frequently when I meet with a Norwegian client. Breaks the ice to know stuff about every culture on your continent.
>>
>>18297259

So what about drawing anime? Or comic books? Or reading comic books? Or fishing? Or carving little stools and shit? Or making funny edits in photoshop to upload to reddit? Or watching shit on Youtube? Etc., etc.

There are plenty of ways to waste time. You can defend any hobby by saying "it helps me unwind" and that in itself makes it worth it. But you fixate on video games. Also, having a hobby doesn't mean people don't do useful shit the rest of the time.

If you just want to avoid basement dwellers that spend their lives on video games, then you'll be safe, they don't leave the house more. If an hour or two of video games is somewhat worse than an hour or two of computer/TV time, then you are just being judgemental with no fundation.
>>
>>18297152
> playing video games in fantasy land
> being a man

pick one
>>
>>18297276
Yes, the cathartic nature of some hobbies is quite valuable. I waste my time too going on youtube and watching TV. I was using video games as an example because that was what OP brought up for discussion. Also, many young men spend too much time on them so it made for an appropriate example.

I'm not of the opinion that every hour needs to be spent on a productive task. However, recognizing that video games for the most part are a waste of time is helpful. I played countless hours playing video games as a teenager. I had around 60 days logged into Call of Duty 4 alone. A lot of that time was spent having fun with friends but when it was time to grow up, I did. I don't knock someone for playing once in a while but I think if you're over the age of 25 then you shouldn't devote more than 10 hours a week to it.
>>
I will never understand the hatred society has for video games. How is indulging in one piece of entertainment different from another?
Why is a couple hours of games terrible yet a couple hours of Netflix or movies just fine?
Can't one enjoy games without being critiqued? I get a lot of people just use them as a time waster but what about people who legitimatly love to play games?
>>
>>18297246
t. autism
You can tell a lot about a person by how they dress.

>>18297298
Watching a movie ideally teaches you something about the world or human nature, as the director's intent. Movies are still a better hobby than video games unless you have bad taste in movies.
>>
>>18297295

So you are not OP? Still, let me give you a little bit of book knowledge: Read "Don Quijote". Or I can give you the cliff notes.

A dude reads so many novels about knights than we he starts going old and insane he decides to become a knight.

The point is, obsession is nothing new. People that obsess over games would be obsessing over something else if games weren't here. They want to escape their shitty lives or they want to be kids forever. Having a rage boner for games is silly, when, as you say, you watch shit on TV and YT. I know people that sit for hours watching shit online. So what, someone that regularly goes to YT isn't a good date, either? Or one can have fun in moderation with video games and other stuff?
>>
>>18297307
Video games can teach you a fair amount about human nature. Video games can be just as moving and artistic as any other medium of entertainment. I'm not the one you were originally responding to but to state that video games can't have such an impact is silly.
>>
>>18297307
>Movies are still a better hobby than video games unless you have bad taste in movies.

So you can waste time with movies. Same as we proved with books earlier. Why the focus on video games?
>>
>People falling this hard for such an obvious bait
>>
>>18297314
No I'm not OP lol. I don't know why OP doesn't want to date someone who plays video games. I also don't necessarily agree but I see where she is coming from. I don't think that playing video games makes you a bad date or a worse human.

My point isn't that someone shouldn't play video games if they want. Do whatever brings you joy. The pith of my argument was that certain hobbies are inherently more valuable than others. I realize the time I've spend on YT and watching mindless TV is time I have lost. I have only my lack of discipline and self control to blame for not allocating this time to something more useful.
>>
>>18297319
At this point everything on this board is bait. It introduces interesting conversation so it doesn't even matter anymore.
>>
>>18297328
>I have only my lack of discipline and self control to blame for not allocating this time to something more useful.

Go a couple of months only doing "useful" stuff an let's see your stress levels. Decompressing is fine, stop shitting on other people's fun. You are even ruining have fun for yourself if you really mean what you say.
>>
>>18297318
Because video games are not a serious art form. They were time wasters, first and foremost, all the way from Tennis for Two till Overwatch. Any "artistic" video games are analogous children's cartoons that try to be adult and serious.
>>
>>18297337

So your problem is not wasting time, it's just that video games are not art. But if they waste time with other stuff, it's fine.
>>
>>18297307
>>18297337
But games and movies are both made using the imagination and creativity the human mind has. These pieces of entertainment are made to appeal to us and have enjoyment or feel something.
How can one be better than the other in this case? Is what I just described not considered art? Why does ones passion or hobby have such a huge impact on op? I just don't understand.
>>
>>18297333
Doing something useful could be improving my drawing ability or dedicating more time to meditating. There are activities that relieve stress whilst still being productive. I hope to slowly evolve to that point anyway. Not completely but using around 90% of my time doing something productive.

I don't think I'll stop shitting on other's fun. As previously stated, I won't stop anyone from doing anything. If you enjoy nothing more than playing hours of video games, by all means go ahead. I'm not ignorant to the joy they bring. I will continue to maintain the opinion that they are a waste of time. I don't think I am ruining my fun. I would rank video games as an ephemeral pleasure. However, to me the deeper pleasures are held in more meaningful activities.
>>
>>18297358
>I don't think I'll stop shitting on other's fun. As previously stated, I won't stop anyone from doing anything.

No, you won't stop others. You'll come off as a pedantic ass, though, so good luck when you tell a proffesional that makes more money than you that his hobbies are them wasting their time. Let's see you make friends and grow in life by shitting on people. Good luck. You'll need it.
>>
>>18297364
Lmfao I'm sure the people that will end up earning more than me spend countless hours playing video games. Not sure why you got so defensive unless you spend a good chunk of your time playing video games. I may come across as pedantic but you certainly seem emotional.

Regardless, this conversation has been quite beneficial to me. You opened my eyes that I am also wasting valuable time on this website which does me no good. I think I'll stop coming on here and use my time more wisely. Thank you, Anon.
>>
>>18297376
Before you go op, why the attack against games specifically and not a different hobby deemed a waste of time? I'm just curious why you choose games in particular for your attack.
>>
>>18297376
>Lmfao I'm sure the people that will end up earning more than me spend countless hours playing video games.

Nah, you think all hobbies are shit, don't you? Tell you boss he is a rube for watching sports or whatever.

>You opened my eyes that I am also wasting valuable time on this website which does me no good.

Ok, you win. We will miss your transcendence here. Kid, you'll really need help in life. I seriusly mean it: Good luck.
>>
File: USERHASBEENBANNEDFORTHISPOST.jpg (37KB, 597x392px) Image search: [Google]
USERHASBEENBANNEDFORTHISPOST.jpg
37KB, 597x392px
>>18297152
>How can I meet a guy who doesn't play video games?
Enter a luddite cult like the amish
>>
>>18297152
Good fucking luck. Almost everybody plays some sort of video game these days. Even the biggest Chads play CoD
>>
wake the fuck up bitch
>>
>>18297377
Not OP man, I'm pretty sure I agreed with most of the points you made. I wrote >>18297317 so it seems like we are on the same page in some aspects. Video games are incredibly artistic. Denying this is to let one's subjective interpretation of art cloud their vision. I still believe not all art is created equal but I respect your opinion.

>>18297378
No I don't think all hobbies are shit, please read my earlier posts if you need clarification. I do win in the end don't I? I hope one day you too may grow up.
>>
>>18297396

So watching sports is a good hobby? How is that better than playing video games?
>>
>>18297152
You aren't good enough for anyone who spends all their time in productive pursuits, doll.
>>
>>18297317
>Video games can teach you a fair amount about human nature.
Woah there. What videogame ever did this?
>>
>>18297152
Le bait. That's like saying where do I find a girl that doesn't like shopping? Such a waste of time and money.
>>
>>18297345
Art serves a purpose other than to entertain. It educates and stimulates thought. Video games have no other purpose than to waste time. What are the benefits of playing a video game? It is one of the most wasteful hobbies.

>>18297353
Because video games are essentially interactive toys. And playing (as opposed to merely collecting/building) with toys are not an adult hobby. Toys can be artful-esque but it's still childish to be playing with them after a certain age.

By the way, this is coming from someone who still spends at least a few hours a week PC gaming. I do like video games but I acknowledge it's a bad habit moreso than a good hobby
>>
>>18297152
This smells like bait... but on the off chance you are actually serious my best bet would be find a traditional religious community or someone over 40. Maybe you could look for a tribal community or aboriginals.
>>
>>18297486
>It is one of the most wasteful hobbies.

What about watching sports? Or the Transformers movies? Are the American Pie or Scary Movie franchises really education and stimulation?

We have already stablished anyone can waste time if they want to. Catch up to the rest of the thread.
>>
>>18297500
>American Pie or Scary Movie franchises...

Poor example, that's stuff you *definitely* should leave behind once you're out of your teens. Poster child for immature crap, that.
>>
>>18297500
Did you even read my posts in full? Movies are a productive hobby, unless you have bad taste in movies. Even then, you can still learn something about filmmaking.

Watching sports has been a hobby since sports have existed. It stimulates strategic and critical thinking, and many people who watch it also enjoy/have enjoyed playing it, the benefits of which are obvious. Some of the smartest people I know are also big sports fans. Do you think football analysts whose jobs are to discuss plays, trades, and the state of the industry are immature and wasting their time?
>>
>>18297510
>you can still learn something about filmmaking.

Playing games you can make games.

>Do you think football analysts whose jobs are to discuss plays, trades, and the state of the industry are immature and wasting their time?

There's the same kind of stuff for video games. People make a lot of money playing games. Look into E-Sports.

>It stimulates strategic and critical thinking

Now you are just giving up. Sudoku and other puzzles games are used to stimulate the minds of old people all the time to keep them sharp. What the difference between them and puzzle games? None.
>>
>>18297505

So the problem is not the genre of entertainment. It's the content. Adults can watch shit on TV if they want to waste their time. Are soap operas that good? It's not teens that watch them.

Also, what about sports? Plenty of adults build a life around watching (not playing) some kind of sport.
>>
>>18297522
Yeah, great, you learn what makes an interactive toy for immature people more fun for other immature people.

E-sports are a valid point, but 99.9% of gamers aren't at that level.

How much further down the rabbit hole are you gonna go? I never said all games were bad. Puzzle games are a fine hobby. So are board games.
>>
>>18297510
>It stimulates strategic and critical thinking...

There's a whole category of games that do that, dude. Respect chess players? Well they themselves respect RTS games of quality.
>>
>>18297531
>E-sports are a valid point, but 99.9% of gamers aren't at that level.

Neither are the dudes that just watch sports on TV, but you defended the whole industry.

Neither are the people that watch celebrity gossip in Jimmy Kimmel and read tweets that may or may to be written by the real actor.

Come on, every hobby has a serious, bussiness like side and a "time waste" side.
>>
>>18297540
Since when does criticizing video games mean I'm criticizing all types of games? Guess video games don't teach critical thinking.

>>18297542
No, because whether it's a pickup soccer game or Olympic-level track and field, you're still getting physical activity. The difference is that only the business-like side of video games has any benefit, whereas the time waste side does not.

Following celebrity gossip is a bad hobby too.
>>
>>18297550
>No, because whether it's a pickup soccer game

What about watching sports? I know plenty of fat asses that watch and never play. Doesn't stop them from getting together to watch a game, go to games, buy shirts and other shit, etc. It's a full blown hobby.
>>
>>18297550
>Since when does criticizing video games mean I'm criticizing all types of games? Guess video games don't teach critical thinking.

You misread. RTS games are a form of "vidja games" and if the mechanics are good enough they're rated well amongst the players of the classics.

Strategic thinking etc. was the criteria, and yeah you get that with the real time strategy games.
>>
>>18297152
Go to the third world.

Our grandparents blood spilled to give us the comforts in life. We enjoy them.

How can I meet a woman that doesn't sit in air conditioning and hold a phone in her face all day? Same shit.
>>
I know a lot of people get mad over OP's post, but I can understand her, that's her preferences.

I know video games are fun now and then, but they don't classify as something I'd do everyday. My long term bf of 4 years rarely plays and we have a pretty active lifestyle. Before him I used to hang out with people who play games all the time 24/7 and I must say I never felt more bored and isolated.

So yeah, don't take it to heart. Not everyone enjoys video games (and it's actually more rare finding people who don't play in my opinion).
>>
>>18297574
>Not everyone enjoys video games

The point is showing her she is being judgemental. Any problem she has finding a date can't be helped by being a bitch.

We have people like her all the time here. Projecting their problems dating into some small insignificant detail.
>>
>>18297579
It's probably just the frustration taking over.
>>
>>18297587

Yeah, when they take too long finding a date, they lash out. But until they face their own problems and learn to stop blaming others, they can't move on.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.