/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it too late for a good school?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: HELP.jpg (29KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
HELP.jpg
29KB, 300x250px
Hey guys I need some help with my situation regarding grad school. I am currently an EE sophomore (Junior after summer) and want to go to pursue either a masters or phd. The problem is that I just recently realized this goal and have no research experience yet. I'm going to try to get some next year or summer, but would that be enough to get into a top tier EE grad school? My grades are fine at a 3.97+ gpa.

I could also prolong my last few credits and take another year and summer of research. At most I could likely get 2 + years of research by graduation. Would this be a better idea?
>>
Also by top schools i mean MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Berkeley, UMich, UIUC, CUBoulder, UTAustin, GeorgiaTech, UCLA, Cornell, Princeton, etc...

By now I dont have much hope for the first four, but maybe the others I could get into?

And would performing summer research at a university help chances to get admitted there?
>>
Start talking/emailing admissions departments of schools you are interested in, and just be frank with them. Tell them your interest, and yet your insecurities of the situation. Talk to your current school about your options.
>>
Don't go to top schools. There's a strange wave of poison passing through academia, and the famous ones are the biggest targets.

Especially don't do Ivy League. They became famous in the first place by playing football, and they only held onto that fame by being picky about who they admit. They might admit you, but it's not going to promote you into the elite class and the non-elites are just going to think of you as a trust fund baby.

What's more important, the name or the qualifications? Do what you gotta do to get the qualifications.

Just like dating or jobs or buying things, you're supposed to weigh multiple options. Send out a bunch of applications to varying places, and make your choice after you've gotten your responses.

Also: don't go to school in California, even if you live there. Hell, especially if you live there. If you were born and raised in CA then treat university as your one big chance to escape. Apply for jobs all over the country after you graduate, and go live where you're hired.
>>
>>18294579
Yeah I probably won't go to any of the California schools unless they are my last chance.
>>
>>18294569
Okay I will email a few and see how they respond. By current school do you mean my major adviser or maybe the career/grad school advisers or both?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.