[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saviour Complex?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

I need to at least vent this, and maybe it alone will give me some insight but I'd love to hear the thoughts of others.

I think I have a bit of a saviour complex. I had a lot of problems and issues when I was a kid that I couldn't really fix by myself, and nobody was around to help me with them. So when I went through tough times, I felt like it was all on me, but I really wished someone would've been there and helped or at least given a little emotional support. I had lots of people to tell me what they thought I'd done wrong, but nobody offering any means to help, and it was really demoralising.

Fast forward and I have two people I feel like I need to save. One is a person in an abusive relationship (controlling, emotionally - not physically as far as I know), they've been isolated and cut off from everyone else, and have an anxiety disorder. It's emotionally rough for them, and they're started to have disassociation issues. I know I can't fix their life for them, they have to make the choice to change their life direction. But I want to take a couple of weeks with them, to take them out to places, enjoy themselves, feel some connection again.

The second is in a real bind, they're not very old, just 19. They have a sleep disorder and an unknown illness. They get some PIP, but their family is not sympathetic. One of their uncles threatened him with significant violence. He had to go and live with his dad, but he's not much better, he's highly controlling and talked of destroying his phone/computer so he has no contact with people he considers a threat (myself included in that). I know I can't fix his life, I can't provide for or care for someone like that long term, but I want to get them away from those negative people, and try to bring him into some normality so that he can lead the best life possible - although we don't know how good that will be right now.

Cont.
>>
Cont Pt 2

It gets me wondering if there's a pattern to this kind of thing, like it's some sort of complex or extensive validation mechanism?

I tend to have a few rules about things like this; I don't try and change people that have landed themselves in shit with gambling, drugs, drinking etc. I think that's well beyond my means. I still try to ensure I have enough, or have the prospect of having enough (like if it means I can't buy something this week and it has to wait 2 weeks, I'm kind of ok with that).

I feel like there are lots of people that have situations that they can't really change, and I dunno, I guess I don't want them to go through that alone? I want them to have some happiness, to feel like someone somewhere really cares that they're ok.

If nothing else, it's worrying that I have some sort of instinct to seek out vulnerable people, I don't wanna become part of the problem.
>>
B-Bump
>>
What is the question tho
>>
>>18294401
Do you think that my behaviour is weird or unhealthy by wanting to help these people? Like am I just collecting people in bad situations, or do you think it's ok, or what?
>>
>head frozen in time
>that one night before and morning after
>night before: staying late in the office unpaid (for months) desperate to finish this one guy's legal petition
>morning after: court rejected the petition for non-payment of fees
>"Are you sure? I swiped the debit card myself in person at the clerk's window. The client deposited the money for the fees into that business account just hours prior."
>Turned out the bitch who stole everything stole that too
>Family man who desperately needed bankruptcy protection couldn't get it

Don't try to save everyone; you'll just get a closer look at how evil the world can really be.
Not much else to share besides that.
>>
>>18294543
No it's pretty normal to care about people around you but it's unhealthy to not know your limits and overcommitting to everyone
>>
>>18294554
Damn Anon, I'm sorry to hear that. I guess that's what I'm a little afraid of, but I feel like as long as these people aren't fucking themselves up heavily, they deserve some happiness.
>>
>>18293905
>demonstrates normal human empathy and compassion
>does something about it

That is far from a complex... Why would you even think that, you just give a fuck.

Anyway my general advice is you cant help them. They need professional medical care and their own realisations. The best you can do is encourage them to see a doctor. Let them know help exists.

But nagging people and giving information straight up does literally nothing to help. All you can do is be a friend. Exist in their lives and act normally and be there for them, dont judge, dont offer unsolicited advice, and if they ask your opinion give it.

But dont tell them how to be better. If they ask tell them to figure it out themselves, and if they complain about their own short comings problems or issues, say "professional help exists. Maybe you should look into it."

Source:

Me. I have a pretty decent psychology education. Im not a doctor or an expert but i know a lot more than most people. And i know how to help people like this and still i say to them "go see a doctor." or "you already know what the right answer is. You have to do it yourself."
>>
>>18294757
Yeah I don't really want to be forcing them to change their lives, I just want to be there and encourage them to live with some normality. You know I want them to not feel afraid of going outside, or having friends, I want them to laugh a little.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.