[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I stop being a misanthrope?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (207KB, 822x462px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207KB, 822x462px
Basically that. I'm lonely, but whenever I hang out with people I find it so boring I just want to go and be on my own again. I find the topics of conversation invariably revolve around gossip, or asinine 'drama' or stupid memes or makeup or clothing, or I go to parties where people get even more boring and drunk. I have lots of acquaintances but no one I'd call a friend.
Yes, I know this is my problem, I know I'm a terrible person etc. etc. I just can't bring myself to find that stuff interesting. The constant cycle of "lonely so I'll hang out with people/hang out with people so I get irritated and bored and go back to isolation" is really exhausting.

Is there any way to stop being like this? To find people more interesting?
>inb4
>you're just not trying to talk about the stuff you find interesting
I have tried, with different groups-they aren't interested
>you're just boring
Maybe I am, but that doesn't solve the present issue, does it? Besides, I feign interest in what they're talking about well enough.
>>
Shameless self bump.
>>
>>18293380
>find the topics of conversation invariably revolve around gossip, or asinine 'drama' or stupid memes or makeup or clothing, or I go to parties where people get even more boring and drunk.
Maybe you havent found the right people.
>>
I've never been misanthropic, but for a long time I isolated myself from others because I, similarly, at least thought other people and I had nothing in common. I think a big part of being social is fostering the idea that maybe you and other people aren't so dissimilar, and finding people you are particularly similar to and can talk with. I honestly don't know what happened, but I feel by believing people were all fairly similar I really began to see it, and I enjoy exploring the ways I understand people, even friends I had in high school that in the past I only thought of as the people I happened to spend time with but really didn't get and who really didn't get me on any deeper level. Also, by meeting people with similar interests, I've found a lot of people pretty similar to myself.
>>
>>18293434
But I don't know where else to look.
>>
>>18293437
Where have you looked?
>>
>>18293380
You misunderstand the purpose of most casual conversation.

Bear with me - I have to go sideways for a minute. Monkeys and apes like to "groom" each other, picking fleas and nits from each other's fur. But monkey-watchers have learned that grooming is really just an excuse for sitting together and expressing friendship.

Humans generally don't pick fleas off each other. But we make small talk, and for the same reason. WHAT is being talked about is of far less importance than the fact THAT we are talking. Gossip and other trivia are just an excuse to sit together and bond, signaling friendship and enjoying the group connection.

Pay less attention to - and be less annoyed by - the content of small talk, and learn to enjoy the friendliness that is the real point.

("Serious" and "meaningful" conversations are a different matter, and usually require some trigger situation. If you want to talk politics, join a political group, and so on)
>>
>>18293447
Good point, but also
>("Serious" and "meaningful" conversations are a different matter, and usually require some trigger situation. If you want to talk politics, join a political group, and so on)
This is also a reward of establishing a good, real friendship. Look forward to it OP if you bear with the small talk, preliminary stuff
>>
>>18293447
Aye this. Keep trying to have bullshit to discuss about and keep being amazed by that one friend who always keep talkin but never really has anything to say. It's more of an excuse than anything.
>>
>>18293447
not OP but i believe this will help me with the same issue. i never saw the point of talking about the same things all the time at work, did i have a good sleep, if im doing well etc. It always annoyed me because it was the same conversation and they would already know the answer. thank you anon
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.