[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wut do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1490310693574.jpg (840KB, 3096x1857px)
1490310693574.jpg
840KB, 3096x1857px
A crossroads is before me.
I'm not so young anymore. At 22, I have a little less legroom to fuck around and I realize that pursuing what I thought was my "passion" in an academic setting might be a mistake. I've put two and two together, and realize that I should be considering programming. I can appreciate some of what it entails, especially the creative applications and the challenges it presents. Others, particularly the more memorization-based shit, grate on my nerves. So this isn't a clearcut decision.

The only other skilled thing I probably could tolerate is art. I earn some money that way but I have a ways to go until I could actually support myself off of it. I'm not really afraid of being a starving artist.

Theoretically I could pursue both.
Either ways, I think I might have to change my major to only one and, whew, this is a problem in itself.
The computer science program here is nearly impossible to get into and I might be unable to get the actual major (though I could attend classes), and that the art program here is kinda shitty and in its own way might discourage me...I might have to transfer, and that in itself is a huge pain and will take many months. Getting into as good as a college might be out of the question, too.

I dunno what to do, or to think. How do I know programming is for me? I know both programming and art demand my all, but programming is the terrifying one because how do I know that I can actually develop a workable program? How do I know it won't all be for naught, that I'd be less than mediocre?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170505-183024.png (419KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170505-183024.png
419KB, 1080x1920px
I'll give you a bump for the pic
>>
File: 1491011484929.jpg (69KB, 395x450px) Image search: [Google]
1491011484929.jpg
69KB, 395x450px
>>18288720
Thanks anon.
>>
a job and a career is a tool to make money and support yourself, it doesn't need to be your passion-- but you shouldn't hate it either

>How do I know programming is for me?

go to codeacademy dot com , do some simple work on there that requires no sign up, see if you like it

>how do I know that I can actually develop a workable program?

do you think people woke up being good at programming? they had to learn it just like everyone else. It's not easy, but at least when you work your ass off in programming you'll get compensated fairly.

don't work your ass off for a major that won't pay off in the end. that's the way I feel about it. I'm in college and I'm going to make it count
>>
>>18287840
>develop a workable program
Kek, that's a good. Most people are shit programers OP. They get hired by large companies to do a job, and then need to be retained by those companies because they produce a pasta program that needs constant fixing and bug updates. For years the bugs will keep showing up OP, and first release is usually the "workable if all the jankie criteria is met, or otherwise spits back out crap to you" release.

Programming is neat OP, and even though it's not my job, I still use it frequently for it to made the heavy lifting computer tasks much easier. It's a nice outlet to try to get creative, since I can constantly look at my program and see how it can be improved or see different ways of building it.

But idk OP, it all depends on you
>>
Programming is a stupid, pointless and selfish career choice. I will never understand why it's so popular.
>>
>>18288909
>says the betacuck who probably works as a janitor
>>
File: 1491092272788.gif (421KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1491092272788.gif
421KB, 700x525px
>>18288887
I've been thinking about that as well...the thing is that even if it's like >>18288873 said and I acknowledge that a job doesn't need to be my passion, there's a few things I'm outright against doing.

I'd not want to be stuck working on some bullshit program/server/whatever for some bullshit company, stuck running a mouse wheel for them.

How feasible is it for me to be an independent programmer developing my own shit? That's what I'm worried about.
>>
>>18288963
Independent programer? That depends. There are website and resources where you can get contract work, but the pay is bad. The benefit of the company route is that the pay is high, but like you said it's literally bullshit and becomes very monotonous if your working on a long term project. There is also the route of working for the company by day, and then working out your own programs at when you get home that might end up generating money. For example, you could get the business paycheck but try to create a website or app, and if it takes off you can potentially quit the desk job.

There is also the route where you do consulting. For example, you could potentially teach courses for pay, usually again to big companies that are trying to train their staff. The money is better this route than from independent contracts, but it comes at the cost of frequent travel, and can again start to become monotonous.

It all depends on you want your standard of living to be. If your fine with a modest standard of living, you could go the contract work route
>>
Oh you're absolutely precious. 22 and you think time is running out? I changed careers at 30 and I regret nothing. I can tell you right now getting an art degree is a huge fucking waste of time and money. You don't need a degree to do creative work and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying out of their ass.
>>
>>18287840
>falling for the going into STEM to make money meme
>>
24 year old here, graduating now and going through his own existential crisis. All I can say is that don't do something that feels like a chore, or at least don't do it unless you know you can get big pay offs from it that are worth it. Being stuck doing something you don't like and/or not achieving anything with it sucks horribly.
>>
>>18289014
Hah, yeah, that's a given. I mainly was considering it because I have an almost full ride scholarship that goes for two more years and that, ultimately, I wanted to at least study something I can actually use to create things. My current major is too academic/research based.

Art is a consideration because, again, the comp sci major here is nearly impossible to get into. You need something like a 3.6+ GPA in several programming classes to get in. So that leaves me in a perilous situation: I might be forced to pay off my grants if I take programming classes and then dropout with no intention of getting a degree. I dunno this for sure. But yeah. That scares the fuck out of me.

A programming minor might be an option.

Most comp sci rejects flock into the cognitive science major here because it has quite a few programming classes. Nonetheless, I'd still have to deal with taking a ton of irrelevant classes.

The thing is with transferring to a school with comp sci openings (or a better art program) is that I'm no longer a good candidate, and I'd pretty much have to transfer in middle of the 2017 academic year. That, and my financial aid might be fucked.

Note: there is a bit of a upside here. I know a college that I can sign up to take free online accredited programming classes. Could be a way to catch up, maybe.
>>
>>18289057
Ah. A scholarship makes things easier for sure. And yes jumping through the hoops for the irrelevant bullshit courses sucks. But life is sadly full of that shit. Try dealing with usda paperwork sometime. I don't miss that. If you're really interested in doing compsci make it happen. If not, or you're not sure you physically can, ger into engineering or material sciences. Lots of computer related skills there, and a much wider field of jobs. And, ya know, you don't really need a computer degree to get into computers. My dad was a mechanical engineer that taught himself and now does computer security for the bureau of reclamation.
>>
File: 1490412779157.png (136KB, 500x477px)
1490412779157.png
136KB, 500x477px
>>18289079
>make it happen
You're right.
C# seems like a good start for me.
All I can do is make things easier for myself. Apply to other colleges, talk to their admissions departments. Self-study programming and art and not be a lazy little shit.
If worse comes to worst, I may just transfer to the college my childhood best friend was just accepted to. Easy as fuck to get into, looks better, and still in my college system. Better art program, and a serviceable+accessible computer science program.

With that said, there's something really embarrassing about spending a year and a half here and then jumping ship. It'll take a while getting over it.

As for the engineering and material sciences stuff, I, well. I'm pretty much a stereotypical girl here. I hate that stuff with a burning passion. I'd sooner ship myself off to the army then study any of it. I mean it when I say it's art, programming, or bust.
>>
>>18287840

What about trying out an online tutorial such as:
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html

and then apply your newly learned skills to an actual challenge:

https://www.codingame.com/leaderboards/challenge/code-vs-zombies/country/nl
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.