[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of joining the Military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

Im thinking of joining the military in 2 years, trying to get my fatass /fit/ in the mean time

Im thinking of joining so i can get some education/experience in a in demand field that pays well, ideally IT/Computer related fields although im open minded. As long as its good outside the military

What i want to know is

1. What is it geinueily like day to day

2.is there every any down time

3.ive read some things on how the military isn't all its made up to be, how its hard to get the college/job experience

4. Any other general things i should know

I appreciate anything informative tbqh
>>
>>18286802
What branch and what field are you looking into?
>>
File: military benefits.jpg (96KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
military benefits.jpg
96KB, 1280x720px
>>18286846
>branch
Definitely non the marines, i am not nor do i dream to be some elite warrior bad ass.

Ive heard the Airforce/Navy is better apparently, althought desu im not super educated on what certain things offer. Ive only really considered this recently, and i dont know anyone personally that has enlisted so i can't ask them

i saw this on FB, but ive also heard recruiters lie alot so i am a bit skeptical on things that sound too good to be true

So ideally i guess Navy/Airrforce but whatever helps me get a good job later on works

>Field
Im guessing you mean job field, in which case I wanted IT/Computer related things, but im open minded to anything that pays well and has a future outside the military.
>>
>>18286802
Have fun becoming an unthinking drone.
>>
File: 1460996477347.png (460KB, 588x598px) Image search: [Google]
1460996477347.png
460KB, 588x598px
>>18286909
I dont mind tbqh,its not like ill be there forever.
do 5-6 years and get out.
>>
>>18286802
>IT/Computer
I was in the Navy, submarines.
Both my sons are Marines
Daughter is in the Army.
All of the services are quite a bit different. Navy is mostly like an office job locked in a metal box far from home. You may go an entire career and never touch a rifle or pistol. The food was excellent, but work hours are long. You have to keep sort of fit, but at least in the submarines you study all of the time. If you like school, the Navy is probably the way to go, they have huge IT needs and even non-IT jobs have a lot of tech.
Marines spend a lot of time out in the dirt. Way more into fitness and boot camp is much more about turning you into a robot. Much less tech, but they do have some computer and communications guys. Both of my sons are in serious shape and are true badasses.
>>
>>18286802
>Have fun becoming an unthinking drone
Exactly backwards.
The military emphasized how to think and make decisions, college was a bunch of memorize the propaganda.

I have a Ph.D. and two M.S.s
The military had by far the best schools I've ever been in. Morning was spent in theory and all of it was applicable. Afternoon was spent on the actual equipment, homework in the evening. I learned more in a week than a semester of school.
Then a bunch of BS powerpoint about sexual harassment or some such shit, but less than at college.
>>
>>18286802
>recruiters lie alot
No. But you have to listen to what they say very carefully. They will cheerfully let you think the wrong thing.
>>
>>18286802
I did 6 in the AF in telecommunications. I got a job afterwards making twice what I made as an E5.

My recruiter was fuuuuuuullllll of shit. But it wasn't bad. Lots of boring, but not bad.
>>
File: 1460899708645.png (78KB, 288x291px) Image search: [Google]
1460899708645.png
78KB, 288x291px
>>18286923
Navy sounds pretty good to me, now that you talk about it like that
Im not really concerned about whether nor not ill actually see action, if i must i will, but i dont have some sort of dedication to servicing like some people seem to.

Two question i have for you though specifically:

1. This may sound stupid, but does people in the navy had ready acsess to some kind of gym? i hate to make progress only to loose it due to lack of ability to work out. Normally i assume there is a gym available but idk in a submarine (prob not)

2. ive read that downtime comes in BIG swings, like one day your working 20 hours straight , next you have the whole day off for a few days kind of deal.
Besides wanting a good job, i consider myuself an artist and want to improve at that. I need time to dedicate to it, so i was wondering if its possible to just like maybe 2-3 hours of free time a day or so.
>>18286930
Thats good to hear
>>18286933
Aaaaah, like a lawyer then?
>>18286935
What kind of things do you mean by "full of shit"
>>
go to college and get an IT or CS degree and join the ROTC program at the school. they will pay for everything, then when you graduate you get a guaranteed officer job
>>
>>18286958
Why do you say this instead of the traditional military?
>>
>>18286951
In the end... it didn't matter. All the shit he lied about was trash. He lied A LOT about basic training (like the diet Dr Pepper version of boot camp) which wasn't that bad.

In the AF, we worked regular day shift 95% of the time. I had plenty of time to fuck off. I had a gym, nutritionist, and there were personal trainers at the gym that were all other Airmen. So.. it was great. I lifted, did Muay Thai, ran, did ju-jitsu and then I'd go to work and do some old school telecom work on this piece of shit telephone switch.

I got out in 08', but not much has changed. I even got two associates degrees while I was in 100% free to me, and extended lunches to attend on campus classes.

I did my job, kept my shit together, and it was a stepping stone out of the shit hole I was raised in to get me into the middle class.
>>
>>18286975
>I did my job, kept my shit together, and it was a stepping stone out of the shit hole I was raised in to get me into the middle class.
this is a big reason i want to go, my household sucks and this would allow to leave.

Which branch were you in?

Also hearing there is good ammount of free time is good so i can study things relevant to me personally. Also a gym is good for gains.
>>
>>18286951
>1. This may sound stupid, but does people in the navy had ready acsess to some kind of gym? i hate to make progress only to loose it due to lack of ability to work out. Normally i assume there is a gym available but idk in a submarine (prob not)
Yes. We had stationary bikes and a rowing machine tucked in around the missile tubes. Some free weights, a pull up bar and a pad for pushups, sit ups and so forth.

2. ive read that downtime comes in BIG swings, like one day your working 20 hours straight , next you have the whole day off for a few days kind of deal.
Besides wanting a good job, i consider myuself an artist and want to improve at that. I need time to dedicate to it, so i was wondering if its possible to just like maybe 2-3 hours of free time a day or so.

It varies depending on your job and what kind of ship you are in, but basically yes. We worked 16 hr days for 2 weeks, were out to sea for 3 months, got a couple of weeks totally off, and then had 3 months of 30 hr a week Mon to Fri office job. It's actually pretty nice being able to vacation for a couple of weeks twice a year. On of the guys on board was an artist. He seemed to have enough time to draw some pretty cool stuff.
>>
>>18286983
Air Force.

Like I said, no big deal. i deployed a few times, but nothing major. Shit like Qatar and United Arab Emirates.
>>
>>18286951
>Aaaaah, like a lawyer then?
Yea, some are better than others, but everything my recruiter told me would happen, like schools, job, where I would go actually happened. But I talked to another guy who seemed to think he was going to be Rambo mixed with Chris Kyle and play football on the side and the recruiter just smiled and said "maybe".
>>
>>18286958
>go to college and get an IT or CS degree and join the ROTC program at the school. they will pay for everything, then when you graduate you get a guaranteed officer job
I did this. I worked, but you have to apply and get accepted by the program. Most people don't qualify.
>>
>>18286975
>it was a stepping stone out of the shit hole I was raised in to get me into the middle class.
So much of this.
All of the Nukes on the submarine were smarter than most college kids. So why didn't they go to college? For some it was money, others didn't know they were smart until the Navy made them study. One of my best friends was a Florida surfer dude that barely passed high school with C's. Turned out when he actually studied he was a genius.
>>
>>18286802
/k/ has Military Enlistment Generals every day.

>2 years
Nigga what

North Korea will be a flaming pile of radioactive ashes then, the military WILL be downsizing.
>>
>>18287025
im an over 300lb fatass, gonna take time to fix that
doing best i can,maybe some dudes will die and need to be replaced.
>>
>>18286863
If you go for the Navy, especially for any CTR/I/N/M/T rates or other technical rates, when you are talking to the person who gives you a rate based on your ASVAB score and what you want, ***ASK ABOUT AN ENLISTMENT BONUS***, worst case they'll just say there isn't an enlistment bonus for that rate right now, but it's better than not asking and there being an enlistment bonus. Also, any guarantees that a recruiter makes you is completely BS unless you get it in writing in your contract before you sign it, this goes for all branches.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.