[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English help (native speakers)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 5..jpg (1MB, 2532x2003px) Image search: [Google]
5..jpg
1MB, 2532x2003px
1.The offer must include shipping cost.

2.The offer must include shipping costs.

3.The offer must include the shipping cost.

Which one /adv/?
>>
>>18284990
Thank you, just need more feedback.
cost is both countable and uncountable.
>>
>>18284984
It's not a well-formulated question. Both 2 and 3 are correct. "Costs" is often left plural because sometimes there's more than one type of expense incurred by the shipping process (you can see the same thing with the word 'expense' itself, as in: "I incurred significant expenses ..."), and the lack of the definite article ('the') is extremely common in contexts like this and doesn't make the sentence wrong.

"The shopping cost" is not wrong, either. Both are in common usage.

1 of course is wrong.
>>
>>18284992
it's no. 2 mate.
ffs.
>>
>>18284993
Yea I was wrestling with 2 and 3 for a while. 2 seemed appropriate if the offer was one that was reoccurring or had many parts. 3 would be correct if it was a single transaction. I decided on 2 because it seems more common in speech to says costs.

>>18284992
what are you asking exactly?
>>
>>18284999
Just need it for a university project (Im not a native speaker).
It's a popup to send an offer, as a placeholder in the textfield Im writing it should include the shipping cost/costs.

everybody seem to go on 2. Even if most major sites actually use 1 because as I said before it's both countable and uncountable.
To me 2 sounds the best.
>>
>>18284999
2 is more common. If you're trying to figure out how to word this for your own usage, then go with that one.

If this is a homework problem that you're working on, tell your professor "Both 2 and 3 are in reasonably common usage, and neither is wrong. It's a bad question."
>>
>>18285006
I will go with two, thank you.
>>
>>18285006
The offer must include shipping costs.
Shipping costs will not be added at checkout.

Final. All good?
>>
>>18285012
looks good to me
>>
>>18285012
Yep. That's great.

>>18285004
FWIW, 1 is just wrong. It either needs to be plural or you need the definite article.
>>
>>18285018
Thank you.
>>18285030
Same thing I thought about. Thank you so much.
>>
>>18284984
English teacher here

All are equally acceptable in business English (which is sometimes brusquer than conventional, and can drop words like "the".

The second is better from a business sense, since it makes clear that you want ALL costs (packing, shipping, customs, whatever) included. The others, with the singular, could (though it's unlikely) let the sender add everything but postage separately.
>>
>>18285043
Thank you so much.
>>
>>18285043
what grade do you teach?
>>
>>18285043
Op here again...
This time is the message center:

1.Conversation list currently empty.

2.Conversations list currently empty.

Im leaning toward 1. I know it might seem weird to ask such small questions. Just, it's my first assignment in the US.
>>
>>18285055
bump
>>
>>18285055
number 1
>>
>>18285088
thank you.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.