[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning up hoarder's house to live in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1493073553798.jpg (426KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1493073553798.jpg
426KB, 1024x683px
>getting some stuff together to live in and clean up two stories of a hoarder's house
>no one has lived in it for 15~ years
>crashing somewhere and have already overstayed my welcome here
>have one room cleaned out and a small bathroom that's usable (sink/toilet are fine, have to go to a 24 hour gym to workout and shower after)
>wanting to get power on, water on
>water is no problem, have my name on the utility now and it's being turned out tomorrow
>power company won't turn the power on without an inspection since the house hasn't been powered in over a year
>can't let them in to inspect with the shape of things on the inside as they'd likely immediately fail it thus wasting the $80 inspection fee
>have to remove everything from the house and clean it out a bit before I can get an electrician in
>going to take at least two or three weeks of intense effort to get it in decent enough shape for inspection
>not sure how I'm going to remove everything from the premises in such a short period of time since I can't just throw everything out
>some of the stuff has to be sorted/saved, per agreement

Not sure how much more I can stand living out here or living in a car or something. What would be the best way to approach this? House is around 2,000sq ft and I'll be the only person going through anything and removing stuff (outside of some of the appliances, which I'll do last and hire some people for).
>>
File: 1493179790244.jpg (22KB, 418x405px) Image search: [Google]
1493179790244.jpg
22KB, 418x405px
>tfw no replies
>>
File: el104_b_big.jpg (27KB, 300x444px) Image search: [Google]
el104_b_big.jpg
27KB, 300x444px
>>18283685
>inspection
Stop being retarded. All you have to do is to clear way to your electrometer and fuses. The dude will look inside, see your fat mom inside, turn it on, wait for a while if it will catch on fire and put new seal on it.

Just call them and describe situation. It wont be problem at all if you have money to pay the bills. The company couldnt care less if your house will burn down. Everything past the electric clock is YOUR responsibility, not yours.
>>
How does one go about purchasing a hoarded house. Where did you find one?
>>
>>18283792
That's it? I assumed he'd be taking readings from at least on or two rooms as well as checking the fuses. Fuses are immediately on the inside of the backdoor, where nothing except stairs are exposed and the meter is outside.

>>18283796
Government auctions, I'd assume. This is a family member's that I'm taking over.
>>
>>18283792
>>18283820
I just called the power company to confirm this, and this is false. They require a certified electrician to come in and inspect room by room to make sure that there's no damage via rodents, disuse, etc, because as I stated in the OP it hasn't had power turned on in over a year. He has to report directly to the state inspector, who in turn reports to the power company.
>>
>>18283685

The not being able to throw out most of it is what's fucking you here. Is the horder still around, because they won't let you toss anything if they are.

Only way to get this done is put your head down and grind through it. If it's pure garbage, chuck it, important, have a keep pile, possibly important or useful, that's another pIle.

Clear one room first- this is where the keepers can go as you organize.

Just take it one pile, one room at a time. Take walks and breaks as needed.
>>
>>18283904
One died and the other wants the stuff out, but has some stupid requests for going through things and making sure about what to get rid of. It's going to be a pain, but I think I can force most of it through if I can somehow show that I went through things carefully.

Really don't have another option in terms of living arrangements, so I have to get this done with.
>>
>>18283944

And from the sound of it, the living relative isn'the helping sort? If they live in a different place, get some boxes (cheap, milk crates, boxes from a supermarket, etc), put the impotant/keepers in there, and bring them once full to the relatives home. They can do a sort through these on their own if they are particular. Athe this point, you'very already tossed their garbage and done the hard part.

To make it harder for them to bitch about leaving these with them, say that they can call you to dispose of the rest once they have decided what to keep.

It will help you make space as you sort, and space is both helpful and encouraging.
>>
>>18283981
Yes, they live around an hour away or so but are in town all of the time. Really hoping that they don't come into town and "help" me along by convoluting my process of cleaning/sorting or insist on ultra deep inspection of everything.

The idea is to work clockwise around a room and only 'save' things that are worth donating/actually using (which is nearly nothing), end up at the doorway I started, and then move on. No recycling really, just tossing stuff into a trailer/truck bed for a dump run and being done with it. After all of the rooms are done, I'm going to start stripping wallpaper, taking up the carpet (might have to leave some down due to appliances, some heavy furnature), and then washing everything down once.

This would be followed by an ozone treatment to get things breathable in there for other people, then having people come in to remove super heavy things I can't take out myself. Things like a deep freezer that's something like 5x3.5x4 and completely full, which hasn't been plugged in in 10+ years and is completely full of meat, vegetables, etc, so I want it to stay closed. Same with two fridges, and then I need to take a massive 1920s iron range/oven with storage that's all one piece out of the main floor kitchen as well. Basement kitchen has some basic appliances, but I don't think it's really going to be that big of a deal.

The rooms I'm going to have issues with are the utility room, which I'm hoping others won't mind helping me with, and then the furnace room that is full of worthless shit and covered in dust/hair/whatever is ejected from the ducts down there. Suppose the basement pantry has exploded wine all over it is going to be a pain to clean up since the shelving is built into the house, but that's going to be tedious more than anything else and isn't absolutely essential to make the house functional.
>>
>>18284035
You know what, not sure why you came here. You have a plan, and you seem to know what you're doing.

You'll be fine anon.
>>
you're just going to have to roll up your sleeves, OP and get stuck in.

get rid of old newspapers and inflammable materials as a priority. shit carpets, the lot. get rid of as much as you physically can before even attempting to clean things up. although you could clear out one bedroom and crash there for the time being, sans electricity. (don't get an oil lamp if the place is a fire trap...)

maybe keep one room for the crap you have to hold onto or are not sure about.

and use your better judgement and avoid being confrontational with your relatives, they'll have forgotten this shit if you just sweet talk them into believing everything is fine. you can always later claim the electricity guy said "fire hazard" and had to chuck that stuff.
>>
>>18284145
Maybe he just wants to bitch. Makes sense, though this is advice, not /bitching.

Anyway, OP, we're gonna need photos of this place. Stat.
>>
>>18284878
also, video footage of when you finally open the freezer - outside, with 6 foot tongs, wearing a wetsuit and full gasmask.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.