[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/ I have a problem of not standing up for myself not necessarily

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1487847073013.gif (4MB, 432x480px) Image search: [Google]
1487847073013.gif
4MB, 432x480px
/adv/

I have a problem of not standing up for myself not necessarily because I'm a pussy, but because I'm not very easily offended. This sounds like a good trait but I think it goes too far to the point where people get away with walking all over me. When someone is an asshole to me, I don't even notice it until after the fact because it doesn't phase me.

I think this is because when I was younger my older brother would bully me both mentally and physically. He was too big for me to fight back, and my parents never did much to stop him. This meant that the only option I had was to become numb to it and not react, hoping that I don't provoke him to continue further. Now that I'm an adult this is an issue, where people can make fun of me or disrespect me and I don't notice it so it continues.

An example is when I was an RA at my University, I was locked out of my dorm at 10pm at night and so messaged the group chat with the other RAs to let me in. We had all just gotten back from dinner together, for which I had driven five of them to and from. No one came after 10 minutes so I sent a second message. Still no one came for another 20 minutes so I sent a third message saying I was still locked out and one of them finally came to let me in. They let me stand out there at night for 30 minutes ignoring my messages that I was out there, and I didn't even get mad. Not even the people I had driven to dinner helped me, and I didn't have much of an emotional reaction to it nor realize how much of assholes they were to do that. I only noticed how douchy that was after the fact upon reflection.
I have many stories that are similar or worse.

Does anyone else have this problem, and how could I go about turning this around?
>>
>>18281494
Also when I was an RA, I had a resident who kept tearing down my posters, telling me to fuck off, and rubbed his dick on my door knob and another resident who had thrown empty 5 gallon water jugs at my door at night. None of this really got to me, and so I remember later my boss told me to report any residents who didn't show up to our final wing meeting at the end of the year. Those two residents didn't show up, and I didn't report them. I wasn't annoyed that they ditched the meeting they knew about in advance, and I had forgotten about the prior times they were assholes to me. This led to me not reporting them despite what my boss said, because their asshole behavior didn't register in my mind. And I look back thinking why the hell did I let them get away with that shit?
>>
>>18281529
I remember whenever I would walk past those residents I would still smile and say hi, and then about ten steps later think "wait a minute, I forgot that guy is a fucking dick why was I so nice to him just now?"
>>
I'm in high school, and I would not call it a problem. This is the first time I saw someone similar to me post this, so I'm just gonna say thanks... I guess. I am a little different. When someone insults me (only happened twice last year, none this year) the only thing I do is stare them in the eye. I have no feeling for it because I generally do not care. Same thing goes with friends. I generally do not care about them at all, and I've known them for more than 5 years but we only share interests so that's why I'm still with them. Anon you should see it as a good trait because so far only good came out of it for me. The only time you should really care, is when something is physical. I personally haven't had that happen to me yet... Though I admit I secretly hoping that it does. I've had the same situation, but my parents having jobs and being busy I was always around my brother. We lived in a large house, so he would chase me and do horrible things so I became numb to it as well. Anon I think this is sociopathy. It is a good trait for getting ahead. I have a question for you as well. Do you care about your family? I'm going to be honest and say that I realized I do not really. I accidentally broke my brothers leg (not the one who used to chase me etc. I have 2 brothers) but I didn't feel sorry. That's when I realized I didn't care. Answer this and you'll know whether you're a sociopath or not. Also first time posting since 4 years.
>>
I have grown up in a similar situation as you. I tried to accommodate others and be complacent as much as possible. I was too nice.

So. Two weeks ago I fell for a /fa/ meme and buzzed my head with a 1/4" blade. Ive never had a buzz cut, always a longer style. Anyways, I peered in the mirror after and I saw a new me. Maybe it's the meme magic and latest and greatest in bro science technology like cold showers or no fap, but I seriously feel like a new man. And I absolutely love the way I look now.

It was like I went through a chrysalis. The old me would be a bitch and take shit. But not the now me. Try doing something to alter your physical persona to look more like a person who doesn't take shit. Ive found for myself, function follows form instead of the common phrase 'form follows function'.

I'd also recommend a visit to >>>/fit/ It feels so good to see progress, and it feels even better when other people notice it. Being /fit/ + having a buzz cut = wombo combo
>>
>>18281534
I care for my family. I think part of this is also due to me not wanting to be the asshole stomping other people when it's been done to me in the past. So with the resident thing, reporting people was difficult for me because I always feared I was being too harsh on people who don't deserve it. But this led to me letting them be huge cunts just because I was afraid of being some monster. I have difficulty trusting myself to know when someone does and doesn't deserve consequences for their actions, so I suppress my anger so that it doesn't factor into my decision making process. But again this just leads to me being too soft.
>>
Bumping to respons later. I think I can relate
>>
>>18281548
In other words, you are too kind. The only interaction I have is with my group of friends. Everything else is strictly myself. I can't relate to you in "being too nice" but you seem capable so you should trust yourself more. The only person I trust is myself and my judgement, so naturally I wouldn't feel bad about a decision I make, unless it is obviously bad. Simply put, trust yourself and think yourself better than others because deep down I know you do. Time to bring it out anon.

I sound like a goddamned edge lord but i mean it.
>>
>>18281569
I think so. It's difficult for me to adjust my attitude towards someone relative to their behavior towards me.
>>
I can relate to you guys so much. Thank you. I don't know what to do about it though
>>
>>18281569
>>18281596

like obviously I should have reported that faggot that rubbed his dick on my door when he ditched out on the wing meeting, especially since my boss had already given me the go ahead to do so. I think that's too much kindness
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 800x783px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 800x783px
>>18281602
You should have and I would have. Honestly I don't think of the past because the times i do, I only mull over small things like "i wish I studied that" or "I should have done this earlier". No point thinking of it if you can't change it, so instead I only think of the present and of course the future. Next time something "bad" happens; like the dickman, you should report it but anything else less than that I would not care much, and I shouldn't be one to say this but you shouldn't either. All up to you.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.