[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Accused of plagiarism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: swaet.jpg (43KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
swaet.jpg
43KB, 600x480px
Hi /adv/,
I'm not sure what to do about this. Basically, I got an email from my course convenor saying he wants to meet with me at some point next week to discuss potential plagiarism in an essay submitted a few weeks ago. All I'm guilty of doing that I can think of is taking the main point of the conclusion on one site (reworded it and put my own spin on it, as well as using all my own evidence to get there) and borrowing a few sources from the bottom of the page in an attempt to flesh out my bibliography since it was a bit thin.

Basically, this thing's worth 30% and I don't want to lose the marks (it already got graded) but I'm not sure what approach to take in the meeting. Complete honesty would still be revealing that I borrowed a whole lot of sources to make my essay look better researched (only did this because I was really pressed for time) and I'm not sure how far this goes towards getting fucked for plagiarism.

Anyway, advice would be greatly appreciated, I have about a week to prep for this and no idea what to do.

Cheers lads
>>
hi there

one check for plagiarism schools carry out is a simple discussion test

they see if the pupil understands the content well enough to have created that essay
>>
File: email.png (54KB, 1397x517px) Image search: [Google]
email.png
54KB, 1397x517px
Pic related is what I actually got as a notification, stressing out quite a bit now as it seems like he's already made his mind up
>>
Sorry bud, that is textbook plagiarism. Best bet is to understand the material THOROUGHLY and at must explain you took inspiration from it. Hopefully you properly cited what you stole from, otherwise you've no chance. You'll be lucky to not be expelled.
>>
>>18281150
Rewording and putting your spin on someone elses conclusions IS plagiarism.
The whole point of an essay is to think critically and draw your OWN conclusion and use facts to reinforce your conclusion.
This is MLA formatting. Didn't they teach you this. If not, it's a shitty school. Now you can use excerpts from credited websites, books, newspapers, magazines, even documentaries as long as you write down where the info was found.

Ex. The Puyallup Fairgrounds was known as Camp Harmony for the detainment of Japanese Americans during WW II. (seattletimes.com, June 93, pg.6).

See. Now this is a FACT that I can use to reinforce my conclusion that the Puyallup Fairgrounds was once used as an internment camp for Japanese people during WW II and the atrocious living conditions they had to endure.

This is a portion of MLA formatting. If you didn't credit authors of used information, it is considered plagiarism. Sorry dude.

By the way, I did write an essay on this very subject. Got an A+, 100%.
If you do get into trouble on this, ask for a day to rewrite and just take a hit on the grade for turning in late. You DO NOT EVER want the word plagiarize atrached to your name. It is considered cheating. Although cheating does work for the Patriots, you are not Tom fucking Brady.
>>
>>18281229
Thanks for the explanation.

The reason I'm confused about the severity of it is that it was submitted a few weeks ago, and when the marks were released (yesterday) mine was a 67 and not a 0. So I'm assuming at least some leeway is available but just not sure how to actually get my points across during the meeting
>>
>>18281229
>good explanation
>doesn't cut down OP
>dogs on Brady

I like this anon
>>
>>18281150
>borrowing a few sources from the bottom of the page in an attempt to flesh out my bibliography since it was a bit thin
they probably googled it, literally word for word work cited from another site is suspicious. They find you basically said the same thing but reworded.

If the work cited you copied is sourced wrong, you're fucked. If it's not you can claim innocence by coincidence.

>reworded it and put my own spin on it, as well as using all my own evidence to get there
You should be fine as long as its not like "The sky was blue"->"Blue like the sky", you get it? Take >>18281153 's advice, just make sure you actually know what you're talking about.
>>
>>18281271
The way they found out lots of my sources were taken from one site is because we have to submit all our shit via Turnitin, so a lot of the sources are highlighted in red and some phrasing near the conclusion but the rest of the essay is pretty much clean
>>
>>18281255
Most likely the teacher will ask you if you know what plagiarism is. Then he/she will talk with you to prevent this from happening again. Just play dumb and don't ever do it again. Based on the score given, the teacher knocked you way down because of the plagiarism.
>>
>>18281287
>Turnitin,
The worst lol, there's a lot of third party sites that use turn it in. You can pay like $8 for one paper check I believe, you might want to double check yourself if it's legitimate. But if it uses the same software you can see exactly what your professor plans to talk to you about.
>>
>>18281303
I have access to the originality scan turnitin did, as I said above while 90% of the essay itself is clean my sources are absolutely fucked because I put them in and mapped them to random statements in an attempt to look like a better researched essay
>>
>>18281287
>>18281308
>your lecturer takes turnitin seriously
I came up with an original essay for one of my assignments and got 15% plagiarism. My lecturers ignore it because that's nothing more than coincidence of using materials in the field. Maybe your lecturers aren't that good.

Do you go to a rinky dinky uni?
>>
>>18281362
ANU which is a pretty legit uni, but basically the entire university is forced to use turnitin for god knows what reason. How's originality checked when turnitin's not used? I fucking hate how the site gets free access to and use of millions of papers just so it makes the marker's job easier
>>
Did you just copy a block of references? Because it sounds like you did. Your similarity percentage must've been real fucking high.
>>
>>18281493
I copied a block of refs from one site because I had about ten minutes until it was due, then mapped them to random bits of my own arguments. Similarity to that one site came up as around 25% (40% of the file was sources)
>>
>>18281509
>bulk copied and randomly referenced
u did a stoopid
>>
>>18281512
I know I fucked up, but how serious is it? Considering I didn't lift the argument itself
>>
>>18281509
You can only hope for you teacher's mercy.
>>
>>18281536
Best: they make you write it again and let you off this time.
Worst: expelled and will never be allowed into a legitimate academic institution ever again. Ever.
From what your prof sounds like and knowing ANU, it's probably going to be pretty severe.
>>
>>18281255
Plagiarized and still got only a 67 before the prof caught it. Hardly worth the effort, was it?
>>
>>18281150
Professor (not yours) writing here.

Your biggest problem is those faked footnotes.

With a particularly dim or soft-hearted professor you might be able to claim "I didn't know it was wrong" about the other stuff. But the faked citations prove deliberate intent to defraud, and destroy any claim that the rest wasn't intentional.
>>
>>18282030
>But the faked citations prove deliberate intent to defraud, and destroy any claim that the rest wasn't intentional.

Is there any way to argue my way out of this during the meeting? It's a first offence and I haven't done this before (messing with footnotes) so would that work at all? I'm absolutely fine doing a resubmission or other penalty of the assignment, I just really don't want plagiarism showing up on the record
>>
>>18282074
You can try, but it's pretty unlikely. Worrying about it being in your record shouldn't be one of your concerns though. This is a slam dunk case as it were, if they wanted to kick you out they'd be well within their right to.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.