[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brother Dropped Out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault[1].jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
16KB, 480x360px
My brother dropped out of college today. His GPA was shit, he wasn't going to very important advisor meetings and was likely failing a few of his classes. When he didn't answer his phone for a few days my mother made the decision to drive across state lines to bring him home.

I think he may have a drinking problem, brought on by depression. He was a decent high school athlete, tried to replicate success in college, but it didn't work out. I think that really ate into his self-worth. He also gained a lot of weight, which gave him a lack of confidence in meeting girls.

My question is this: Have any of you ever successfully turned your life around from dropping out of college? Was it a good decision? Did any of you ever quit drinking? Did it take?

Thank you in advance!
>>
>>18281114
how old is him?
>>
>>18281126
he'll be 21 soon.
>>
I can speak for others and I can say most who dropped out because of grades usually were never able to turn their lives around. They improved the bad conditions they were in after dropping out but never improved beyond their fall. I will say that it's only a bad decision to drop out depending on how far in the program your brother was. If he was anything past the first semester of junior year he is not going to recover from that any time soon. But I will admit, if someone wants to drop out of school, the earlier, the better.
>>
>>18281136

there are plenty of people who have dropped out and returned once they got their shit together and graduated

stop exaggerating
>>
>>18281127
Well what did work for a cousin of mine was that his parents cut all finacial aid , they still feed him and let him stay rent free, and tell him to get a blue collar job. After the first year he saw how hard life was and after the second year he saved enough to pay for comunity college, he now has a decent jod at hr.
>>
>>18281141
Yeah this is a possibility, except he has worked for a couple years at the Department of Public Works and they are a bunch of lazy pieces of shit who drive around our small town all day watering grass, emptying trash cans, taking naps in the cab, etc etc etc. If that's all he wants out of life, fine. I personally think he should aspire for more. He's a smart guy.

>>18281136
He was in his second semester junior year.
>>
Hi OP

I didn't drop out, but I was close, really close.

I started university late, in my first year I felt really rough, I pulled out first semester (wasn't sleeping or eating).

I went back the next year, different course, and went downhill massively. I didn't even pass that first semester, but they gave me a pass-through. I didn't attend the 2nd semester at all because I was so fucked. *I had undiagnosed and untreated pernicious anaemia with a specific food intolerance (palm oil) that made me really sick. This put me on the absolute verge of having to withdraw permanently.

People talking to me about my studies and future made me fucking miserable because I didn't know what I was going to do, I had on explanation for why this was happening, and it felt like I was being judged for something I really had no control over. Let him take every day as it comes, just be fuckin nice to him and let him know he has someone to just chill out with. The two people that helped me through my difficult times were my sports coaches, because it felt like where everyone else was panicked and worried and judgemental about what I was going to do, they BELIEVED I could do things.

Feeling like someone believes in you, in some way, means so much when you're in a dire situation.
>>
>>18281114
A lot of millionaire and billionaires were dropouts, so it might not be so bad.
>>
>>18281149
>Let him take every day as it comes, just be fuckin nice to him and let him know he has someone to just chill out with.
I tried that when he was having serious problems in the fall. It didn't help. I think it's time for tough love. Maybe the army, maybe the police academy.
>>
>>18281189
yeah he'll probably resent you all for that

dont get pissy because hes not recovering at a rate amicable to you, thats how you end up with dead siblings
>>
>>18281196
>yeah he'll probably resent you all for that
Recovering? Bud, my brother doesn't have pernicious anaemia: He drinks and drinks and doesn't know his limit. I've seen him falling down drunk more times than I want to. It has cost him his college career.
>>
>>18281200
if he's depressed and you force him into something like that he isn't going to like you, and if he doubts his self worth heavily he'll assume he's so invalid that his family would rather send him away somewhere to fix him

it has the potential to be a deeply damaging thing to him psychologically

trust me, i know the feeling, where you want to give someone a therapeutic kick up the arse and snatch the bottle, but for that kind of thing to work the person has to be willing somewhere deep down to make that change, it's why aa's first step is admitting you have a problem, because it engages that willingness

do things with him man, be his friend while he looks to find meaning again
>>
>>18281210
I'm just mad. I was the problem child of the family (I'm the oldest) but I never skipped meetings that held my entire semester at stake. I wish I knew why.
>>
>>18281230
>I
>I
>I

Not about you, dude. Stop with that bullshit. It's about your brother. What he thinks, feels, wants, etc. The sooner you get over what you think, feel and want, the sooner you can be (or maybe not be) the person he needs or doesn't need around.
>>
>>18281230
im guessing he's your little bro

in my house i'm the little bro, and i'll be honest with you, my older sibling who tries to parent me instead of acting like a sibling, is a fucking cunt, don't be that guy

when i was genuinely, but undiagnosed sick, he constantly came up with 'HE JUST NEEDS TO DO THIS AND GET HIS SHIT SORTED OUT', but he could not possibly understand what i was going through, he had no scope of what it was doing to me, but he tried to have all of the answers. mine was a physical problem, your brothers might be mental health, but dude dont try to parent him and have all the answers to his issues. it's awful when you're on the receiving end.
>>
>>18281236
>It's about your brother. What he thinks, feels, wants, etc.
Now I resent him even more. You're making him sound like a martyr. Fuck him and fuck you. I hope he gets sent to rehab.
>>
>>18281241
He's not a martyr. But neither are you, you cunt. get off your high horse and level with the dude or stay the fuck out of the situation. No one needs your take on it.
>>
>>18281200
Yeah, no one drinks like that if they're mentally happy. He's clearly going through something.

He's suffering. Be there for him.

It's not your job to tell him how to live his life.
>>
>>18281114
Google "college dropouts who succeeded"
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.