[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I stop being scared of the sea?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: submarine.jpg (162KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
submarine.jpg
162KB, 1600x1063px
How do I stop being scared of the sea?

I live on basically an island (there's a bridge over a narrow channel) surrounded by the sea. I can go swimming at the beach no problem, but the problems come in deeper water, big waves or when the water is turbid and I can't see the bottom.

I sail a small boat that involves capsizing sometimes. Whenever I sail I fear falling into the water. It's starting to be a problem. I already stopped surfing because of this.

I don't even know what I fear. It's not drowning, it's not getting knocked out against the seabed by the waves. It's the little nasty things, like getting stung by jellyfish, touching a dead body, seeing a huge shark, seeing a wreck, fish swimming all around me etc. Just small stupid things.

Most of all I have an irrational fear of encountering a wreck, a submarine or some other huge object. Pic related really freaks me out. Nothing like that ever happens here though. There are hardly any jellyfish even.

So how do I stop being scared of the sea?
>>
>>18281005
So any standard psychology textbook will state that ALL fears are irrational. I agree to a certain point. Any psychologist will tell you that to overcome any fear is to confront it.
So to do this, go diving/snorkeling in the area you are scared of. You will see nothing there and the fear should subside. If there did happen to be a shipwreck of some kind, you should explore it as hard is it may be for you. Otherwise this won't stop for you. Good luck!
Personally, my fear of the ocean is the deep ocean because I think some big ass never before discovered beast is lurking below. I don't consider THAT irrational.
>>
>>18281033
Megalodon
>>
>>18281005
No one gets over it until they've been dragged underwater into the depths but somehow wriggle free just as the water is about to claim them forever.

It's only then that you're okay.
>>
Scared of the unknown, maybe? Or to be overwhelmed, to realise that you are a tiny point floating on a surface that can swallow you in a snap?
If you look at your fear as a problem, then some therapy can be of help.
Usually, the fear of immensity is due to harsh circumstances that you lived as a kid too great for you to face/understand them.
Good luck.
>>
>>18281033
I was kinda hoping this wasn't the only way. I'm afraid that diving in these places that terrify me will make it worse somehow.

I get the deep ocean thing. Scary to think there is something huge down there that you can't see just lurking.
>>
>>18281042
I think I'm gonna avoid that.

>>18281046
Could be. Summed up, I'm afraid of being in the water, out of my element completely helpless when something huge or scary gets near.

> to realise that you are a tiny point floating on a surface that can swallow you in a snap

Yep, this is another thing. Whenever I'm in deep water I think about how much water is below me and I can only see a small fraction. Anything could be under my feet.

>Usually, the fear of immensity is due to harsh circumstances that you lived as a kid too great for you to face/understand them.

What did you mean with this part? I don't quite understand. I can't remember any traumas involving water I had as a kid. I mostly remember how I loved sailing and watching the darkness of the sea below me, something that scares me today.

And thanks.
>>
>>18281079
The circumstances aren't necessarily related to water. It may be a family problem, for example, or something of the like.
You're welcome.
>>
I do understand this fear as well, I used to sail small boats and, like you said, they'd sometimes capsize and I'd be floating in deep water where I couldn't see the bottom. I think there's just something that feels unnatural about floating so high above a solid ground. It makes the large space beneath you that much more mysterious, surreal, scary. This mystery makes small things more disturbing because you are likely in a state of fearful anticipation when you are floating there. I suggest a sort of meditation, go out to the water and deliberately float (use a lifejacket) just force yourself to continue to float there, maybe swim around, but most of all, concentrate on staying in the water and acknowledging that whatever happens will happen. After a while you will find that nothing is happening, or if something like seaweed brushes against you, it won't be as alarming. Continue this practice, do it again and again, and your fear will be mostly conquered. The most important part of this meditation is to force yourself to remain in the water despite your brain telling you to get out, maybe set a time like 5 minutes or something. It may take several weeks or a month or something but by the end you will definitely find that you are not nearly as afraid as you once were. TLDR; desensitize yourself to deep water by hanging out in it.
>>
Deep open water is scary as fuck. There could be anything under the surface.
>>
File: 121421452561365.jpg (33KB, 400x289px) Image search: [Google]
121421452561365.jpg
33KB, 400x289px
Sometimes when I'm taking a cold shower washing my hair I close my eyes and imagine this is what the temperature of the water must be that orcas swim in. Makes my heart race and I can only keep my eyes closed for 10 seconds max.
>>
maybe youre just becoming a big boy and you have more important shit going on so youre more aware of all the stuff that could go wrong now that you actually have something to lose?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.