[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

need help with expressing anger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: large.jpg (196KB, 500x488px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
196KB, 500x488px
hey /adv/. im a grown ass man. ive always had a hard time expressing my emotions but i just cant stop my self from crying when irritated/frustrated/mad. when even the smallest inconvenience happens like getting called out or someone jokingly messing with me. i know they mean well and i find it funny most the time but i cant stop my eyes from watering. im a grown ass man how do i stop this from happening. its really putting a dent in my ability to socialize. if you know any tips please tell me.
>>
>>18280550
You seem very annoying to me by the way you write. Stop being so negative. Does anything make you happy even? You need some happiness to balance it out.
>>
>>18280550
let it flow. LOL if you feel an emotion, feel it. That's the only way to get over it. Once it's felt, move on.
>>
>>18280563
i try to be as positive as possible and very rarely have conflict but when i do i have the uncontrollable urge to cry
>>
>>18280550
>grown ass man
>cries all the time
>cant express his emotions
[Citation needed]

Maybe stop pretending that you are somebody else and embrace your inner self?

Try watch some emotional movies, play undertale, read some sad literature, make yourself cry at home so you get used to your emotions. I believe that with a bit of practice, you can feel the feels without crying.
>>
>>18280573
thanks for the advice i'll try it out.
>>
>>18280568
What makes you happy right now in your life?
>>
>>18280579
the people around me. i genuinely enjoy my friends/family and they are always there for me. i just have a really hard time talking about how i feel with them. im afraid of being seen as weak.
>>
>>18280588
If you block your emotions all the time you will let them out uncontrollably and "sperg out". Next time you're with your friends tell them you enjoyed their company after you separate. Try giving out positive emotions.

PS. It's okay to give out negative emotions in extreme cases like being cheated on or wronged in a serious manner. Don't care about playful remarks or moderately rude people. Which is what most of the time you will experience.

Also, go for a walk alone and think about your life. Don't communicate with anyone via phone. Just you and your thoughts. It helps.
>>
>>18280604
thanks man i will :)
>>
I kinda feel the same way.
I've always been really ashamed for crying for no valid reasons and would hate myself for being so emotionally weak. However, i learned that this can be a sign of depression and anxiety. As soon as i understood who i am emotionally i found it was easier to manage these emotions and move on.
>>
>>18280550
>someone talks about how people are being overly sensitive
>agree with him
>eyes get watery when I look at him saying it
Can someone explain this?
>>
>>18280886
You cant explain that
>>
I feel you on not being able to express emotions. I mean, I don't cry when people make fun of me or anything, but if somebody makes me mad, I can't tell them and I keep it to myself and let it stew inside of me and grow bitter and resentful, but silent.

It's the way I was raised. Strict African parents. I was never allowed to be upset, or I'd get beat down. Never allowed to defend myself if they were being unfair or just wrong, that just meant more pain. I even got in trouble for having a displeased look on my face, even if I didn't say a word or act defiantly at all. Wasn't allowed to cry, either. That meant getting hit harder. Parents were flawless and right about everything, never wrong, so I didn't dare talk back. Father was a narcissist, too.

Also came from my sister. She would always exert her power over me. She would bulky me, but I could not fight back. I was always nicer to her than she was to me. She would make bullshit arbitrary rules for me to follow for no other reason than that she wanted me to feel badly about myself, they weren't even logical. I could never be happy or proud about myself because she would find some way to tear that down. Anything I enjoyed automatically became shit to her so that she could belittle me.

Now I'm an emotionally stunted adult with no backbone who can't even tell off my drunken father when he's being an abusive ass, let's people scam me because I'm too timid to assert my rights, etc. I'm a pathetic and despicable creature, my life is a joke.
>>
>>18280550
Sounds like you hate being in the spotlight. Working in a small retail setting did wonders for fixing that with me. I never cried or got angry when people talked down to me or spoke to me in a negative light, but I was terribly shy and awful at speaking to strangers.

It takes time. Years, if you are really bad off. Doesn't mean you're stuck that way though. Just keep trying.
>>
>>18280550
Martial Arts/meditation

These will teach you discipline both physically and mentally. This is key to controlling emotions as you learn to calm your inner self no matter the situation.
>>
Was taught this by a phycologist to stop crying if you are out in public or talking to someone who is an idiot

>Think of it like you have a balloon in your throat and that you are going to fill it slowly
>Slowly inhale in a short spurt and keep inhaling
>Hold it until you can't fill the balloon
>Slowly exhale
>Repeat until the urge to cry goes away

It's best when you get that heavy feeling in your chest during stress/emotions.

Might help to talk to someone you can trust or get help to deal with emotions.
>>
File: TWENTY DOLLARS FOR MY HUGE DICK.png (426KB, 1274x511px) Image search: [Google]
TWENTY DOLLARS FOR MY HUGE DICK.png
426KB, 1274x511px
This is an unusual reply, but if you take those emotions you feel and own them, you may surprise the people you talk to about it.

I noticed that I would wind myself up trying to speak about an emotional topic to the point that the person I spoke to would react in response as if to prepare themselves for the emotional tirade I was building up.

Crappy example: I had to tell my partner I was irritated at them waiting to go to the store until I get home from work. My first emotional response was one of anger while trying to suppress sarcastic, angry remarks. I just calmed down as much as I could and said "In the future, I would appreciate it if you got that stuff done before I got home from work, because I don't want to go anywhere once I get home." My voice shook a little, and it's not the best example, but that composure without sugar coating my issue or avoiding it actually stopped the flow of tears.

I've had this problem my whole life. That confrontation of another person for any old thing just reminds me of the intense confrontations I'd have with my family growing up.

Conjure up what confidence you can in these situations, and it will be easier as time goes on to make more rational responses towards emotional situations.

Don't listen to the edge lords in here calling you a pussy. I'm a grown ass person too, it doesn't mean that every facet of your life matures in the same way.
Also, reacting to people who have personalities that involve degrading or making fun of others for fun takes some practice. If you react in a certain way to a person who hangs out with you frequently, and they find that entertaining, they'll keep doing it for as long as you don't firmly put your foot down. If you can muster up any strength to keep yourself composed in those situations, it will be a learning situation for everybody involved. It'll take time, but in the meantime, find something to focus on within yourself for improvement. Do something to increase your confidence.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.