[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumb Girlfriend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1321589457993.jpg (82KB, 628x480px) Image search: [Google]
1321589457993.jpg
82KB, 628x480px
Is it possible to trick someone into being smarter? Can you slowly work in the ideas of critical thinking and self-awareness into a person without them realizing what you're doing?

A friend of mine has begun dating a woman that is still very much in that teenage haze of impudence and a non-existent perspective. She's probably legitimately ADD, or may have some mild degree of actual autism, but I'm not a shirnk so I'm not going to make any such calls. I believe she's simply never been forced to take responsibility for herself. She's worked in her parent's restaurant for most of her life up unto this point, but you have to understand that that's basically her version of doing chores to get an allowance; just with customers involved. She's actually been sitting on graduation for a second semester now. She's simply choosing not to. Nobody knows why, and as with most questions directed at her, her response is a droning, "I don't know..."

The fact of the matter is she constantly makes little noises any time a voice chat is quite for more than a few seconds, her memory appears to work almost exclusivity in broad, vague strokes, and she's no sense of courtesy. Despite being 22 (I believe) she still very much behaves like a high school freshmen.

SO, my question, as he seems set on sticking with her, is: is there any way I can make her smarter? Any proven techniques that an stealthily stimulate deeper critical thinking? Alternatively, is there any way to externally activate a sort of mirror moment? Some way to trigger proper sentience in a person that's still running around in that childish haze?
>>
Does she read? My first suggestion would be to trick her into reading some literature. Preferably stuff that isn't trash that would just reinforce her existing thought patterns. It can be hard to trick people into believing that reading books is a trendy thing to do, but it's possible. Also it's not a passion every kind of person takes to very readily.
>>
Use conversation tricks like reverse psychology, sarcasm, irony and even simple convincers , then immediately after using them , explain in a playful non condescending way how the trick was used.
>>
>>18277820
She does read, but for the most part it's light fantasy and romances. She seems to get swiftly bored of even cartoons/anime that doesn't include frequent action or brash humor, along with some female character for her to identify with, let alone live-action television. It's a potential window, but the selection of recommendation would have to be extremely specific, but her tastes lay well outside of my field of familiarity.

>>18277828
A good idea, but if I'm totally honest I don't know if I have the tact. She's not so slow as to fail to pickup on sarcasm or irony.
>>
>>18277867
Intentionally Speak to her using bigger words, that have more syllables. People who have larger vocabularies can conversate about anything( more topics). Hearing you using bigger words to her may subconsciously make her do the same to you. Reading expands vocabulary too so, these go hand in hand.
>>
>>18277880
>conversate
It's converse, my dude, but I'm not here to nitpick I'm here to agree.
I've been talking to an old flame and since we've met again, I've been using bigger words and the depth of our conversations have increased so much
OP, learn more words and use them. The quality of your speech will definitely subconsciously increase her vocabulary.
>>
>>18277867
>her tastes lay well outside of my field of familiarity.

Get her to recommend books or media to you, and through them suggest books or media to her that in some way align to her tastes but will also broaden her perspective. Example: "Oh you like Twilight? I heard Stephenie Meyer took a lot of inspiration from Pride and Prejudice. You should read Pride and Prejudice, it has to do with Twilight."

It is some deal of work for you to take her recommendations, but this kind of endeavor can take some work.
>>
>>18277898

That's been my go-to tactic, just with shows instead of books; I feel I have a slightly better grasp on her interests in the prior. To date she's dropped most of them within a few episodes, but I've not given up. Getting her to discuss books is actually neigh impossible.

I feel it's prudent to point out just how difficult it can be to talk to her about anything. Not that she's unwilling, but she's very insecure about herself. I don't know if her intelligence specifically, or if she's just perpetually afraid we'll think less of her the more we get to know her, but she's quick to shut down as soon as you begin approaching the borders of her comfort zones, let alone cross them. She seems intrinsically uninterested by new ideas, unless you can make them directly and overtly relevant to something she already cares deeply about, which is harder to do than you may think when her list of hobbies seemingly begins and ends with watching shows and reading (mostly comics/manga, with some books), day in and day out, and then joining the group chat to participate in any video game we may be playing that she too feels like she can be a part of (which are pretty exclusively the causal "fun-with-friends" games). I'm actually unsure if she even plays videogames outside of what she plays with us.

She takes a great deal of pride in her foreign heritage, yet as far as I've seen she believes many of the American-made misconceptions about her homeland as well. Her heritage may function as her single grounding point. She was born here, and has spent most of her life in the USA. It may be the one trait that she thinks makes herself stand out. To me this plays into a need to have an identity, and possibly the reason she cannot function in stillness or silence is because she has no concept of how to be without the presence of others. I do my best not to point out when she's mistaken, but the fact of the matter is she's only been there, I think, for a cumulative 10-12 months.
>>
>>18277892
Nigga, google that shit. Conversate was used correctly in thst instance.
>>
>>18277934
> neigh
nigh
put a little to much faith int he spellcheck
>>
>>18277937
Actually conversate isnt a word. Just google converse vs conversate. Im not the original person though.
>>
>>18278001
Language isn't prescriptive, "condemned in some circles" =/= "not a word".

Probably enough derailing tho.
>>
>>18278076
In that case then any word is correct in every sentence.
Lemme axe you dis.
That statement is correct because apparently having standards is too hard.
>>
>>18278096
No, not every word is correct in every sentence.

Combinations of letters that have no attached meaning in and of themselves are completely fair game, however.
>>
>>18278096
>Lemme axe you dis.
That's probably correct for Ebonics or some other dialect of English. It's definitely appropriate language for /b/ or /trash/, but it probably doesn't fit the norms of more civilized boards like /k/. At minimum, you should state the dialect and purpose for which the usage is incorrect. For bonus points you could reference a style guide.
>>
>>18277805
Why do you care so much? Not your girlfriend, not your relationship - not your problem. Accept people for who they are and get over your control issues. Welcome to being an adult, sometimes you have to 'play nice' with people you dont like out of respect for your friend and/or family.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.