[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to figure out a career path

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (428KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
428KB, 950x534px
I am 19 in the US and am a total fuck up.

I did well in high school, did well my first semester of college, but in this last semester I failed two classes.

Mid way through the semester I stopped going to classes and showing up only to take tests for the classes I cared about. As a consequence, I failed a math and economics class, nothing too surprising.

Reason I stopped showing up was honestly because I had some weird emo mid life crisis moment where I thought I had no idea what I was doing at school and wanted to drop it to become a welder or some shit.

While I'm still open to that idea, I've snapped out of it and need desperately some kind of career or goal in my life.

My interests are all very far removed from lucrative careers. I'm awful at/generally dislike math, and and quite interested/perform well in humanities.

I'm still considering fucking off and going to trade school or joining the military, does anyone have any advice for my very shittily described and generic situation?

I'd be happy to offer more specificity of my situation if needed
>>
Don't close the door to college just yet. You fucked up, it happens. Stay in college and keep working.

I fucked up severely my sophomore and 1st semester of my junior year. I woke up on some mornings when i was a sophomore and I remember telling myself I wanted to die. Cut to now and I will be traveling to study abroad in the summer and am aiming at going to law school. Point being, development and finding what you want to do takes time.

Even if you have to stay an extra year b/c you messed up stay in college. Trust me.
>>
>>18275850
Welders make a damn decent living, learn NOW that your school system downplayed trades and bluecollar work to railroad you into college and there is nothing wrong with them at all--
Benefits of a trade: you'll have 4 years experience by the time they graduate and still have 0 experience, you'll probably be making around 20/hr at that point, which would be about what they'd make, but they'd also be piled with debt, and it will take them years just to break even and start netting the same amount as you despite getting paid the same. In that time you'd be debt free and keeping way more of your paycheck for yourself.

Downside: it's very hard work, you don't have the prestige or respect a college grad gets, you'll always be viewed as lesser to them, and in the longest run they'll probably make more money than you as their careers really take off in their 40s and yours will pretty much stop increasing past a certain point (but i mean, we're talking 70-100/hr for certain tradesmen, so damn good)

I hear that Humanities are generally trash majors as far as finding a job in the field of study, but they make great hobbies (armchair historian myself) while you work a real job (I lay cement during the day but this is def NOT superior job)

Military is good i guess, it just seems like a long time to dedicate to something in your teens/20s that may well fucking suck. That's just my opinion though.

For my own part, I certainly don't regret my current path, I make 16/hr working for my cousin which isn't that much (about 30k) but it's afforded me a place with a roommate, car, spending money for whatevs, and even saving 100/month, at the age of 24. My college grad friends post memes of teetering buildings held up by a stick or something saying 'this is me keeping my life together rn'

Hope that gave you some food for thought
>>
>>18275958
Thanks I really appreciate the perspective
>>
get yourself a copy of What Color is Your Parachute and work through that - properly.
Get some counselling if you really can't come up with anything. and don't beat yourself up!
>>
>>18276241
Thanks I'll look into that
>>
Learn Web Development or get certifications in like A+ and shit like that if you want to go down the tech route. You don't need a degree to do everything in life, it'll be harder but potentially more fulfilling then just going through the same route everyone does.
>>
>>18277489
I'm seeing 60-100k as salary for web developers, do you have any experience in the field? What kind of numbers can I expect in my first few years after certification?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.