[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Video Interview

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: BT_logo.svg.png (96KB, 1280x605px) Image search: [Google]
BT_logo.svg.png
96KB, 1280x605px
Hey adv

So I recently applied for an apprenticeship at BT in IT. Today I got an email saying that I passed the situational strengths test and that the next phase of the process was a video interview. This is my first real interview so could you guys give me advice on how to tackle questions such as:

>Why did you choose BT?
>Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
>What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Like I said, this is my first ever interview so any help here would greatly be appreciated.
>>
File: 42.jpg (27KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
42.jpg
27KB, 460x460px
I recently gave a video interview with similar questions, though it was jointly for a residence as well as the course. My own answers for these questions are similar as follows:
>I chose Vic because of the meaning a close-knit community has had in my schooling career thus far...
>Don't know about this question, but you'll look like hot shit if you give a specific response like "studying Artificial Intelligence" or whatever a specificity of the later years is that appeals to you
>Strengths you can link back to what drew you to BT. I said my strengths would be in interpersonal and community relationships as I've been both a mentor to younger students and a mentee myself, so I think I can help the community blah blah blah, and weaknesses idk this question always seems kinda bullshit to me. What do you want me to say, I'm a no-life neet who's damn near destroyed his wrists because of his obsession with vidya and 2-d girls? come up with some suck-up yet professional response
>>
>>18275098
Thanks so much. So I guess the main jist is that I have to back up my claims with real life examples.

I think I have an answer sort of prepared for the second question but I still need to finalise that.
>>
>>18275897
Yeah absolutely, if you show that you've prepared for your interview w/ real life examples, that's like most of what they're looking for.

Also, I'm sure you knew this already, but do wear something formal for the interview. I got away with just a nice pink dress shirt, but you should judge what is appropriate. This is the same for your backdrop etc, you never know what you might get judged on.

I don't know how much this applies, but I have really terrible stage fright so writing down the answers I'd prepared helped me a lot. This isn't as great when they ask you a surprise question though...
>>
>>18276201
I took that into account and Ive decided to wear a white collared shirt. I was thinking of also wearing a blue tie but is that going overboard? It could be but it also could not be because thats what I'd wear to an interview irl.

Yeah I definitely am going to prepare a few answers because I definitely do not wanna freeze up and say something spazzy.
>>
>>18273610
>Why did you choose BT?
Google the company, do a bit of research. Could say stuff like the company has a good reputation, is good to their customers, maybe if you've had personal experience using their services you could mention that. Maybe you also heard that there was a good working environment if you've ever known anyone who worked for them. If it's low-level work then maybe you could say that you feel that working for BT will be good for your personal development & expanding your skill set.

>Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Obviously this is personal to you and depends on the work that you'll be doing. Don't be too ambitious and say something stupid like you expect to be running the company or anything like that. Really for this question it's probably okay to say 'I don't know' (in a roundabout way, obviously don't just flat out say that) assuming that it's an entry level job. If it is entry level stuff, I would even go as far as saying that you don't want to say you want to be in a management position, maybe leave the possibility open in your answer, but don't explicitly state that you want the job of the person who's interviewing you, especially if you haven't worked in a place like that before. I think your best bet is to talk about being productive and developing your skills here.

Continued in next post...
>>
>>18276689
Thanks

I understand what you mean for the second question. I plan on saying something which is short and to the point but also carrer oriented. I just need to find a way to demonstrate enthusiasm through that answer.
>>
>>18276689
>>18273610

>What are your strengths and weaknesses?
Again specific to you - use examples from past work (even if you haven't had a 'real job' before, use school or freelance work to come up with examples) Strengths could be punctuality, good task organisation, good focus, creativity, perform well under pressure, quick learner etc. Weaknesses could be overthinking the task at hand, taking on too many projects at once and so on. When talking about strengths don't be cocky, and when talking about weaknesses don't be self deprecating - the weaknessnes are the important bit really, as they show the ability to self-reflect. When talking about weaknesses, talk about them as areas where you want to learn/improve/develop. Instead of saying 'I am bad at x', say 'I feel like I could develop my x' or 'I want to work on x'. The interviewer wants to know that you CAN and WILL improve on your weaknesses. You can even bring it back to why you want to work for them - 'I feel that working at BT will really help me to improve my x' 'with the right guidance I know that I can develop my x'.

When it comes to entry level work, interviews are all about showing the will to learn and develop yourself, and imply that you don't intend to leave the company after like 6 months. They might ask you for examples of stuff like 'a time when you had to solve a problem' or 'when you had to work under pressure' or 'when something didn't go to plan and how you dealt with it', so be prepared with answers. Again your answers should show learning and development ability.

At the end they will ask you if you have any questions, do ask something - 'why would you say BT is a good place to work' 'is there a good social environment at BT' something along those lines, shows interest in the company and makes it look like you really want to work there.

Good luck m80
>>
Interviews are easy, don't complicate them. You know why you applied there, and they know why you applied there. If they've given you an interview then they've already expressed interest.

Just go in, tell them why you're the best fit and then leave.

Always answer with broad umbrella answers.

"Why did you choose our company?"

"I chose this because it is relevant to my field of study, and going to school for this has opened the door to a lot of opportunities for me, which I hope to continue in this field."

Answers like that make them believe you're really interested, not only in the job, but as someone who wants to grow and learn within the company. Supervisors love "future prospects" because they can mold and train them how they like within the company.

That was just an example, but use very large umbrella answers and basically just express interest in the company, not the job.
>>
File: 1492564926392.jpg (438KB, 848x737px) Image search: [Google]
1492564926392.jpg
438KB, 848x737px
Listen OP, i recently started an apprenticeship in IT last week for software development. Im 17 btw

Id say you dont have much to worry about, if youve gotten an interview it means you can do the job but they want to see if they can bare to work with you.

Dress very well, suit tie the whole works. First Impressions count plus people notice and will comment on how smart you look.

Make sure you smile and make eye contact 80% of the time but be serious when talking about serious topics.

Good luck bro
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.