[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I turn it around?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: DoomLossEdit.jpg (235KB, 973x1482px) Image search: [Google]
DoomLossEdit.jpg
235KB, 973x1482px
The basic background is that I'm at my second semester and studying physics. So far, so good. I'm not in the US, so the curriculum is a bit different, the equipment is dated, the language barrier exists, but those are minimal problems.

The thing that I'm having a lot of trouble with is, like most, getting focused. I never was able to do that, because the school system here is so fucked up that, well... that's a story for another thread. Point is, I never truly studied (I did, to get good grades, but it wasn't real studying) until the final year of High School for the finals.

So, I got into Uni, I saw how awful the teachers were, how big the curriculum was, how dated the books were, I panicked... and ever since then I've been a wreck. I managed to score some good points in my first semester (Lab = 10/10, Physics = 8/10, "Math" = 8/10), but in this second semester, well... I think I'm fucked.

The first problem is that I can't sleep. I go to bed at around 00:00 or 01:00, but I end up sleeping at 03:00, or 04:00. 'Cuase of that, I end up waking at 09:00, dissoriented as hell, and then the rest of the day follows suit. The good thing is that I'm skipping all lectures apart from the mandatory ones (3-hr Lab & 1-hr Prog Lab), so I have extra time, but I'm wasting it. I've tried drinking chai, I've tried taking a bath before bed, I've tried exercising a bit, but... nada.

Apart from that, I just feel... not good enough. And somewhat "addicted" to procrascination. I end up wasting a whole day and not reading more than 20 pages or doing 8 exercises. I've started becoming overweight again because I'm not exercising enough. I've dropped all other hobbies, and I waste my whole day in front of the computer. I'm not ding anything, I don't even like it, but I just can't stop hitting the refresh button of 5 or so sites.

I'm not finding any joy in my "free time", because all my time is "wasted". I don't study and I don't do anything beneficial.

[continued]
>>
>>18273239

[cont]

Generally, I feel overwhelmed. Not just by my academics, but by silly things as well. Being an avid comic book fan, I feel as if I have to watch every show. Read every comic. Collect every action figure. And it's driving me nuts. I have a ~1TB hard drive filled with TV-Shows and comics. I've spent a decade of my allowance on little plastic figures. All the time I think about fanfics that I sorta "want" to write. Not because I have ideas, but because I "have to". There was a time when I'd spend 2 hours every day rearranging the pics of all of my accounts, according to the fictional character I liked better at the time. I'd scour even places I hadn't visited in years, just to change my profile pics. Sometimes that'd happen more than once per day.

One day, I just had enough and came up with a plan. Wake up at 7 AM, study (the study-break-study-break method), cook at 1 PM, sleep for an hour or so, repeat at the evening, do some exercises, eat something "light", then write that novel to get that "fan-fic" idea out of my head, sleep a 12 PM, 12:0 at worst, rinse and repeat... As you can imagine... I couldn't go through it. I'm just sitting here, reloading the same websites, feeling like a piece of shit, and maybe getting some small bursts of energy where I manage to get focused and get some work done.

The worst thing is, even when I pick up a book, my mind wanders. I grab the mouse almost automatically. I visit the fridge every half an hour. I go through my little plastic figures once again. I'm not playing any video-games (haven't in about 3 years). I don't watch any of the 30+ shows I have saved (maybe one episode while I'm eating). I'm not reading any books for pleasure (my comic book pile of 3 months has filled a whole shelf). I just... refresh... I put the same 20 videos on youtube on repeat, and browse...

[cont]
>>
>>18273252

[cont]

Generally, I feel awful, mostly because I'm not even getting any joy out of it. I'm spending 60 euros per month on a comic-book pull list, and I like maybe 3 or 4 books out of the 12 or so. I get them out of "loyalty" to the characters. I'm not getting any joy out of visiting those boards. I just do it. Hour in, hour out. Day in, day out. Sometimes I stay up until 03:00 shitposting.

And the cherry on the cake is that I feel like I'm "playing a prank". I'm not living in anything luxurious, as I chose the "apartment" with the smallest rent. I don't waste money on anything besides the basic food and hygiene stuff, apart from that comic-book thing I've mentioned. I don't have any friends, or talk with anybody (apart from other shitposters). I don't go out besides those two times per week. I just... refresh... And my parents are average "blue-collar workers" so they're betting everything on me, so I feel (now, scratch that, I know), that I'm letting them down.

TL;DR: Instead of studying my Physics, I'm wasting my time shitposting, worrying about trivial bullshit like gathering all the little plastic figures and writting mediocre fan-fiction (without doing any of that). I've started getting fat again, after a long and hard road of becoming fit a few years back, I have nobody to talk to, I constantly feel weak, I can't concentrate, and feel like a colossal failure.

So, can anybody help? And please... no "btfo fag, put ur ass down and work" and stuff. I get this is 4chan, but... I've thought about deleting all that stuff, sending my collections back home and deleting all my accounts, but... I can't do it. I've tried, but...

[cont]
>>
>>18273253

[last part]

PS: I've also noticed that I'm beginning to dangerously want to be "someone else". I constantly think about changing my surname, I sometimes find myself fantasizing about getting in a "glorious" accident so that I can get disfigured and get a "kewl backstory". I know that it's all a bunch of stupid shit, but I can't stop these thoughts, as they are constant. I've started looking into occult stuff (just browsing /x/ and trying to built up a horror tolerance, so nothing too crazy) in an effort to become Doctor Doom for fuck's sake. I know it's bonkers, but... I feel like I need to do it. I'm not actually putting in the work, but that's all Ican think about.
>>
Turning around your life is a sudden wind of change. It's a long process that starts with little steps.

First, when I was reading what you said, I couldn't help but notice you left social interactions out of your life. You mentioned various parts of your hobbies and families but not once did you mention friends or a significant other. Maybe you're just lonely and need someone to vent to but a real live person.

Second, you're losing motivation and that is one of the most difficult things to improve. If you can't motivate yourself to do things then sometimes you will need to lean on someone else.

Third, your goal is to do something: study physics. That's nice and all but you're missing a key component. You're doing and not being- in other words, you're trying to do something but you're not trying to become someone (No, Doctor Doom does not count). Find a role model in real life, someone you know- if possible- and sculpt yourself after them.
>>
>>18273277
Turning your life around is NOT a sudden wind of change. Silly me.
>>
>>18273277

Yeah, well, the family and friends thing is a... tough topic. My parents are good people, but my dad was always more interested in helping out his mother. His sister is 'slow", but due to customs, she married, had a "slow" daughter, she married and had another "slow" daughter. My paternal uncle saw all that and tried his luck with restaurants. Nowadays, he's stitting with all the Big-Name Cretan families and has cash enough for two lifetimes.

My father meanwhile stayed behind to take care of all the "slow' relatives. And for a while, that was all he did. He'd constantly get into accidents because after working 20 hours nonstop (he's a fisherman) he'd get in his car, drive 1 hour in the middle of the night to pick up somebody 'cause of something, because they'd always either get ill, break a bone, burn themselves, all that. Meanwhile, the rich brother comes by once per year, and then leaves.

Ever since I could remember, my parents would always fight about this. My "muh honor, family and country" dad standing up for his "family" instead of me and my mum. Every Christmas or Easter would be a mix of that, and hospital visits.

He's gotten better now, because he can see that he was being used, but he's still working twice as hard, is 50 years old, has tons of health problems, and I'm scared, really.

As for friends... my childhood ones sold me out over the course of high school. I lost the last ones when in a trip they left me alone, told me not to contact them again, in an effort to become "cool kids". Funny thing is, the "cool king" was an old friend of mine who felt like I was drawing him back. I spent the last year completly alone.

Apart from a guy who casually talk, I don't really have any new friends, or even people I "know". Most are the same here anyway, but yeah, I'm completely alone. I only talk to my parents for about a total of 40 or so minutes per day, but... that's it...

I know what I have to do, but... I just can't...
>>
>>18273328
Okay, here's what you should do. Finish the second semester as best as you can, so, you can attend school for next semester. You need to do that so you can make some friends in your school- it is easier to connect with them since you go to school with them. Why? You need people to talk to take your mind off things. And not just anyone, they need to be positive and supportive friends. They are difficult to find but when you meet them you wouldn't want anyone else and they help you emotionally when times get rough.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.