[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does a psychological therapy look like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: S. White 02.jpg (19KB, 387x351px) Image search: [Google]
S. White 02.jpg
19KB, 387x351px
I posted here last week ater I had my first visit to my psychologist (NOT a psychiatrist). This week I basically continued to tell her my life story, how I got to the point where I am a psychological fuck up that I am right now, etc.

I am a guy, 25 YO, depression, OCD and social phobia are my problems. She said we will have to do work on my depression first, because it disables me to do anything else, and asked me if I feel like I will be able to start doing the therapy.

I said yes because that's why I came there, so it left me bummed, because... what such therapy may look like? I mean for 2 weeks it was me talking, and I have my next appointment in 1,5 week, and each next one is gonna be a week afterwards.

What can I expect this therapy to look like? I might add it's not going to be a pharmaceutical therapy. Will she just tell me to get better, do something socially or what? I have absolutely no idea.
>>
>>18272418

Mostly it's the exact same thing you've been doing so far. You talk, the therapist asks questions and then draws your attention to issues you may yourself avoid addressing or might even notice, or might call you out on harmful patterns of thinking you practice. The first few sessions will be similar to what you've done so far until your therapist has a comprehensive view of who you are as a person. Sure, there are different types of approaches and types of therapy, but it's really nothing to worry about.
>>
>>18272430
But so far it was literally me talking 99% of the time. I can talk to my wall and not waste money then.
>>
I've been going to a counselor and yeah it's basically been like this. I was at real low point and got referred to them, I'd been dealing with anxiety and depression after a painful event, I'd just talk about what was getting me down, and my plans for the future. I talked about setbacks when they happened, and other stuff. The counselor offered commentary on stuff, just about how I should feel good about steps I'm taking, and that I've got a lot to offer people if I can deal with my issues. They've suggested I try a group thing about managing your moods, it's about coping with anxiety mainly, so I'm going to give that a go. I think it's been helpful even if they mostly just listen, thinking about how to explain your mental state to someone else can help make things clearer for you. Just having someone who doesn't know you to give perspective on your issues is good as well.
>>
>>18272449
>But so far it was literally me talking 99% of the time. I can talk to my wall and not waste money then.
There are many different types of therapy. What you're describing sounds a lot like psychodynamic therapy or psychoanalysis. Most therapists use a mixed approach that combines depth and cognitive behavioral elements. You should be talking most of the time during your first few sessions with a therapist so that they can evaluate how open you are and get a decent clinical picture of your situation. Therapists aren't going to be giving you recommendations or telling you what to do. They're not life coaches. They are going to try to lead you to a place where you will feel more confident and able to move forward with your life. This is mostly an internal journey and they can only ask questions to help you with different aspects of self discovery.

tl;dr you should be worried if your therapist spends more time talking than you do.

t. Been seeing therapists on and off since I was 6.
>>
OP here again. Okay so she will be telling me what I am doing wrong in my life, what am I doing good, I get it. But the problem is... I am not doing anything. I dont go out at all, I dont work, I dont have hobby, I dont have friends, I dont talk to anybody, I am a neet for over a year now. So what can she tell me I am doing wrong if I am not doing anything?
>>
She will suggest exercices. For social phobia for instance, she can give you a list of things (sing loudly in your car at a red light, ask someone to pet their dog, dance on a table), you rate them from 1 to 5 in terms of how scary they are, then you have to do all the 1s for next session, then all the 2s etc. These will really depend on her prefered approach. Ask her what to expect. She can explain.
>>18272741
No she will not. She is not there to judge your life. She is there to help you rewire your brain so you are able to do what you wish to do. It's not about what you're doing, it's about what you're thinking and how it hinders you in life.
>>
>>18272741
Look OP, it feels like you're not really into all this. Either you want to get better, or you don't. Considering you've been a neet for a year, isn't it pretty arrogant of you to assume your therapist is incompetent after 2 sessions? Quit it with the boohoo no one can help me shit.

There are different forms of therapy, but basically it's all about - there's something wrong with you, so she's gonna try to fix what's wrong with you. And she can't help you if she doesn't know anything about you in the first place. Your problems may come from childhood trauma, or bullying, or family problems, or maybe even you yourself don't know where your problems come from. Point is, if you don't talk, she can't find out.

So man the fuck up and stop asking dumb questions. Just trust in her that she knows what she's doing, she did get a degree for that after all.

(I've seen 3 therapists over the years, 2 of them changed the way I look at life. I still have depression, but I've learned to live with it and open up about it to the people around me. Just trust that they know how to help you, man.)
>>
>>18272804
I never implied she is incompetent. You guys were sayign that she will tell me what I am doing wrong, what amd I doing right and what should I work on, but that's the case... there's no base to work on with me, since I DO... NOTHING.

But I have decided today that I will also visit a psychologist soon to get medicine to help me in this process.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.