[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does having good grades in public school make you intelligent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0382.jpg (38KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0382.jpg
38KB, 480x480px
Does having good grades in public school make you intelligent let's discuss
>>
Yeah the jews dumbed down the system for the negro and hispanic students who can't speak english.
>>
>>18272011

it can be an indicator.

the problem is that people think that intelligence is all encompassing and as our society becomes more educated as a whole were learning that is not the case. people tend to be intelligent at certain things as the mind is much like the body. some people are naturally more adept in certain subjects than they are in others.

considering that each school district has a different system than the neighboring ones, and a far different system then the ones on the other side of the country, or even in other countries, grades themselves aren't definitive. and even if we had one streamlined system it could still lead people astray. sometimes people aren't intelligent, they are just intelligent enough that buckling down gets them through it.

kinda like me with history. i SUCK at history despite liking the subject, but because i like it im able to force myself into the subject matter power through with good grades.

nothing sticks tho
>>
>>18272011

High school? No. College? Possibly, but the correlation isn't perfect. For example, I would expect a genuine genius to not have any problems achieving a 3.7+ (~A-) GPA at a competitive school without much effort at all. Beyond this point, you would expect some significant noise: the most intelligent students will likely be too bored by class content or too distracted by their own intellectual pursuits.

I would probably say that having a combination of decent grades plus a proven record of ability to generate new research/scholarship is a better indicator of extraordinary intellect. Having good grades alone (even perfect ones) simply means that you know how to turn the crank.
>>
>>18272011
No. Look at those guys bragging about how their IQ was tested to be 140 when they were a kid and ended up being failures and deadbeats. You're intelligent if you can convert it into a fantastic job or career academia.

Intelligence also depends on a lot more factors than just test scores which don't reward critical thinking at all when teachers only teach students how to pass tests. EQ is an important part of intelligence and that isn't seen at all until later in life
>>
It makes you at least one kind of intelligence. The kind of intelligence that is useful for school grades.

I've known people who are total retards otherwise who are on dean's list, though.

Hell, I so well in school but have fallen for the dumbest scams.
>>
>>18272011
Grades don't make you anything dipshit.

You're either intelligent, or you aren't.
>>
Intelligence is a meme. The only objective definition of it is "the thing that's measured by an IQ test," and that maps poorly to skills and abilities in real life.
>>
>>18272011

No, but having shitty grades in public school makes you an idiot in most cases.

For example, a valedictorian in my school didn't take any IB or AP classes. She got straight As throughout school and was a cheerleader. She wasn't stupid, but she wasn't smart.

My friend took AP and IB classes and got Cs because he couldn't keep up with the work. That makes him stupid for overencumbering himself. So.
>>
Nearly everyone can have the capacity to get a 3.7 GPA+ in high school if they take easy classes, put in effort, and kiss ass. I know some very stupid people who did well in high school. I hung out with the "smart kids," and they always got pissed at me for not putting in the effort. The truth is that I had more than enough capacity, but I simply wasn't incentivized enough to do all of the busy work that I was assigned.

I planned on entering a trade through a trade school so I had very little concern over grades as long as I had enough to get a state grant. As I learned, I also needed to do other things and it was too late to get said grant, so I lost interest entirely. I'm working and am in community college currently. Everything is going fine and I have a higher aptitude than almost everyone here, the exception being those who have been paid by a company to take courses in their trade.

So, the answer is no, not at all. You can't get the grade in high school only if you're an imbecile. In college, you can't get the grade if you aren't good at the subject. Most businesses, however, will think that a degree is adequate without being concerned about GPA. It depends on what you want out of life. It's know many petty workers who are smarter than the "college educated" English majors and others like them and are much more contempt with their life, too.
>>
File: 1486341672401.jpg (447KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
1486341672401.jpg
447KB, 612x816px
>>18272011
>Does having good grades in public school make you intelligent let's discuss

No. It only displays your work ethic and motivation. Nothing more. Plenty of smart kids don't care about school or are underachievers at a young age, or simply find school to be boring and restrictive. You also need to consider the difficulty of classes

Anyone who claims good grades = intelligence are sub 110 IQ "pre-med" tryhards
>>
File: 1475007670741.png (381KB, 539x405px) Image search: [Google]
1475007670741.png
381KB, 539x405px
>>18272113
>he went into IB and AP
>couldn't keep up

IB is a waste and most students get through by copying off each other's HW, giving each other test answers, and bullshitting orals/CAS. I did nothing for 2 years besides studying for tests. No idea how he can't keep up if he's trying.
>>
>>18272011
read the bell curve by herrnstein and murray
>>
>>18272011
It's an indicator, but it's not a downright, full proof way of determining intelligence. A kid who is street smart can get a lot further than a kid who is book smart. Even if a person is intelligent, lets say an IQ of 135, there is still a huge possibility of having no success in life if they are not motivated or hard workers. A person with good graders is a better indication of success than intelligence and no one really cares if you're a janitor with the insight or wisdom of a genius, although they may be brilliant conversationalist or bullshitters.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.