[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving Out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Can we have a general moving out advice/what to expect thread?

I have a lot of anxiety.
>>
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

Whenever I have the thought of moving out I get too many thoughts and can't even start to sort them out and just give up.
>>
>>18271815
>tfw live 1.5 hours away from work
>tfw can't move closer without paying $1500+ in rent or living in the ghetto
>>
>>18271815

no. because not enough people are doing it at any given moment to wnat to post here and to expect everyone to just post random subjective advice on the subject is asking for a lot.

simply tell us where you are, where you want to go, your finances, etc. and we'll help push you in the right direction.
>>
>>18271875
Kill yourself
>>
>>18271815
Throw all your shit away so you can move everything in one truck in one trip. Then next time you wont need moving tips because moving will be easy.
>>
>>18271815
Loneliness.
>>
>>18271815
1) How old are you?
2) What sort of living arrangement are you planning to have
>>
What is renting a room like? Sharing bathroom s and kitchens and stuff. Does it suck? Is it worth spending an extra ~$150 per month for a shitty micro studio?
>>
>>18272453
Maybe if you're a lazy retard
>>
1) Dont pay for TV. Get internet only.
2) Stop paying for services that are 'luxury'. Dump your netflix, hulu, spotify premium, whatever subscriptions
3) Stop eating fast food. Learn to cook for yourself. you'll save money
4) Keep your environment clean and orderly. This'll cut down on mental anxiety and, in the event you get sick, limit any possible re-exposure you might encounter to contaminated surface areas
5) Dont waste your time sitting on your ass. Get some kind of side-hustle going on. If you work a full time job, try to find a part time job that engages your skills that you consider a hobby.
6) Avoid joint checking accounts/credit cards/shared debts with roommates or significant others.
7) If you're renting a room or splitting the rent with other people, NEVER PAY CASH for your portion. make your share of the rent or utilities out in the form of a money order to the landlord and the utility agencies. ALWAYS pay your shit this way. Always keep track of the shit you pay for.
8) when you go grocery shopping, shop along the ouside edges of the store. You'll buy fresh foods and stay away from the processed shit in the isles. The exceptions to this are pastas, dried beans, spices/seasonings/etc, and anything thats massivly on sale/BOGO/etc.
9) Always look for sales/coupons/discounts on shit that you regularly use.
10) Take good care of your primary mode of transportation. This is a prohibitive measure. When you cant travel (unless you live in an area with damn good metro transportation) you cant work for fuck. YES it will cost you a little extra money, but its better than not having or losing a job.
>>
11) Take care of yourself! FFS. If you cant afford health care, educate yourself on how to stay healthy and make sure you have items that allow you to perform minor first aid on yourself. If you're a studious person, I highly recommend that you study Emergency Care manuals that EMTs/Paramedics study
12) Make adventageous friendships. Get to know a mechanic. Get to know a nurse/EMT/Paramedic. Get to know someone who works in catering/hospitality/a quality resturant who can sometimes bring you leftovers. Get to know your neighbors in case there's emergencies. Make sure you establish friendly relationships with those who are in key positions of power that directly affect your daily living.
13) When you have the money, make sure you prepare yourself a 'bug out' or survival bag.
14) Get a bicycle.
15) Only get a pet if you're in an established/stable home environment. Pets are an extra cost that you might not be able to afford.
16) SHOP GOODWILL. Seriously. You'll be surprised the shit you find there.
17) Always buy used when you can, but only if its quality used. If its cheap shit, then buy new.
18) If you get to the point you're ready to buy a car, buy from an owner. Dealerships will gouge you with fees and other garbage.
19) When scouting out places to live, hang around the neighborhood for 3-4 hours. See what kind of people come and go. If it feels questionable, then it probably is.
20) Always be prepared for whatever general flavor of crazy shit weather/natural disasters are local to your area. Live in the north? Better have some kind of cold weather clothing. Live in florida? Pray to god you know what the best route is to avoid hurricanes and quickly stock up on water/nonperishable foods/backup generator if you can afford one.
>>
Stay organized AKA clean as soon as something needs to be cleaned. Don't let anything build up. Have a calendar so you know exactly when shit needs to be paid by shit you have to go do etc... Just make sure you keep everything clean and organized.

Wherever you plan on moving to, get a AirBnB near the place and hang around the area for the day. You'll know if you wouldn't mind living there at that point. Do not move into any place you without meeting the landlord or if rooming, meeting the flatmates or having a Skype call just to see if they're assholes and the last person to have that room left because they are assholes. Never pay any bills in cash. Don't even bother carrying cash. It's pointless and unsafe. Always use a debit card, check, or money order, some way to record the transfer. Paying bills these days is typically done online, but if you're rooming, everyone has to pay their share.

Most places will require a background check and other bullshit that takes like two days to process depending on how shitty the place is, so you have to have everything set up to move in like 3 days in advance.
>>
Buy magic beans.
>>
>finishing my first year of my chemistry degree
>live with parents in east london
Is there any hope I'll be able to rent my own place within 2/3 years of graduating? I'd prefer to stay in london but shit the house prices are insane.

Speaking of which, what's the minimum salary you need to be able to live on your own somewhat comfortably whilst renting?
>>
>>18274110
In the USA as a single guy with benefits, you could easily live on $24,000 after taxes in your own place as long as it isn't NYC/LA/SF
>>
>>18274110
In the US but London is one of the most expensive places in the would to line in. You'll need a solid middle-class salary to be able to afford a single bed apartment with no roommates.
>>
Don't buy anything unless you know you need it. Like a dining room table and chairs when you eat in front of the TV. Spend that money on TV trays or a coffee table. Buy clothes at thrift shops because there's no reason not to.

>>18273566
If you're this poor, don't move out.
>>
File: 2205859072_7a3878468c.jpg (157KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2205859072_7a3878468c.jpg
157KB, 500x375px
>Finally paid everything important (college, master's, etc)
>Have a new job that doesn't pay that much compared to my old one but still more money
>Want to finally move to a nice place of my own
>Find out that, after paying the usual monthly stuff I'd be left with $100

One thing for sure OP, don't be too optimistic about the new place. If you don't have enough cash by the end of the month it's a sign you have to lower your standards.
>>
>>18274200
its not so much a matter of 'if you're this poor' as it is 'you're moving out and dont have your shit together so you're going to have to throw money at problems...and money is something you wont have in abundance, so scrape whatever you can together and start laying a foundation for future successes'.

prudent advice for someone who has a lot of anxiety and needs a sense of security.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.