[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of trying to learn to play the piano just because I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Thinking of trying to learn to play the piano just because I think it sounds nice. I know it'll probably look gay but I honestly don't care. So anyone have any videos, tips, advice, anything that could help me? Would appreciate it.
>>
Nothing comes close to having an actual piano teacher.
>>
lol what the fuck do you mean it will probably look gay? Yea, just get a teacher.
>>
>>18269324
>>18269346

I think piano teachers are overrated. Useful, but overrated. Most of the time, there aren't any "secrets" to playing the piano. It's mostly exercises. Often the piano teacher will just give you an etude or something and correct you when you do a mistake (something that you should be able/should learn to recognize by yourself).
>>
>>18269156
Get an instrument first. Preferably digital piano.
>>
Anybody here know how hard it is to learn to read sheet music? I'm wanting to learn piano as well and I'm sure that it pays off in the long run to learn to read sheet music.
>>
>>18269473
that's not the hard part of music, by a long shot. it was pretty easy for me, but i have a strong predisposition for music so dunno
>>
>>18269499
Cool. That's all I was really worried about. Iv played guitar all my life so it won't like be my first time entering the music world. Iv got an old keyboard iv never used so I think I'm gonna dig it out and give it a go.
>>
>>18269360
Spoken like someone who learned to play piano at meme level from youtube videos.
>>
>>18269473
>learn to read sheet music
Learn the understanding of symbols? Very easy.
Reading it and playing(not from memory) at the same time? Very hard.
>>
>>18269558
lol post a recording
>>
Op here, appreciate the replies. Ok, just answer the question again but excluding the teacher option.
>>
>>18269814

I think piano are overrated. Useful, but overrated. Most of the time, there aren't any "secrets" to playing the piano. It's mostly exercises. Often the piano will just give you an etude or something and correct you when you do a mistake (something that you should be able/should learn to recognize by yourself).
>>
>>18269360
Self practice can instill mistakes into muscle memory, which makes said mistakes that much more difficult to correct.

I hit a plateau with self-teaching myself on the alto saxophone and oboe, and found private lessons to enhance my experience and help me improve.
>>18269473
As I said, muscle memory. Kind of like reading words. At first you strung the letters together and used phonics to piece it together. Then you started reading entire words and segments due to your mind remembering how certain symbols strung together looked.

Music is the same. You will jump from "this is a b-flat" to "this is this fingering/slide position/key/valve"
>>
>>18270375
>Self practice can instill mistakes into muscle memory, which makes said mistakes that much more difficult to correct.
Actually, that is something I didn't even consider, since I have been mostly taught every instrument I studied. Maybe this would have happened to me too.
>>
Start by learning as much of the Well Tempered Clavier. as you can. Music is all patterns, and playing the piano, like anything else, is a craft; It's gimmick upon gimmick piled upon each other. There's different genres, and you need to have a certain repertoire to pull from when you perform. When you play live, you should be 90% robotic, and 10% improvisation. Don't attempt to play 100% improvisation when you perform for people. It will not work. You will never be able to improvise as well in front of an audience as you can by yourself.

This probably belongs in >>/mu/
>>
>>18270394
/mu/ doesn't ever talk about playing music. Only listening. It's really wierd.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.