[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Balancing time between essential tasks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 800px-Troisordres.jpg (287KB, 800x991px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Troisordres.jpg
287KB, 800x991px
/adv/ does anyone have experience balancing being a father, working 30-ish hours a week (nights), and going to university full time?

I'm a good student but since my daughter was born 2 months ago I have very little time for school work and my job. Thankfully my wife does a great job with our daughter but I can't expect her to do all the parenting duties, so I help a lot. I don't want my wife to resent me and unfortunately at the same time I simply - need - to be alone to do work.

fwiw I'm going to uni for infosec. All my classes are online this quarter but I plan to return to in-class sessions in the Fall when my daughter is a little older. Thankfully my bills aren't too high; rent, car insurance, food, phone. Schooling is paid for because I was laid off my last job.
>>
File: sad.jpg (29KB, 400x555px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
29KB, 400x555px
>>18269127
Surely at least a single person here had a similar issue?
>>
This is one of those situations where you can't have your cake and eat it too. You're going to have to make sacrifices somewhere, there just aren't enough hours in the day to be able to do everything. There's really nothing you can do unless you're prepared to give up something
>>
>>18269290
>having a full time job, attending university for free, and still making enough money to support a family

Amerifat here, I do not understand this at all.
>>
>>18269302
Fellow Ameriburger here. We barely get by and that's with financial aid and help from family. I have about $1,000 for emergency money. I had to get new brakes for my car; $300. That set me back about a month.

>>18269299
I understand this but I've chosen to go back to school so that I can provide a better life to my daughter than delivering pizzas the rest of my life. I was laid off from my management job (hence the money for school).

Even as a manager it was shit money because health insurance costs so fucking much. If the state didn't pay for mine, we'd literally be homeless right now.
>>
Eat 7 almonds before sleep ~unless you're allergic~, vitamin pills can help too. Play with your daughter somewhat complicated games so she gets tired before you (make her think and laugh), take a 10 minute nap every afternoon, don't have junk food as breakfast or dinner. All those tips are repairing.
>>
>>18269317
>I understand this but I've chosen to go back to school so that I can provide a better life to my daughter than delivering pizzas the rest of my life. I was laid off from my management job (hence the money for school).
>Even as a manager it was shit money because health insurance costs so fucking much. If the state didn't pay for mine, we'd literally be homeless right now.
Well you're just going to have to hold out until you finish school or can take some time off. This is why you're supposed to be financially settled BEFORE having children. You can cry about this all you want, but you can't have everything you want right now.
>>
>>18269319
Sorry about the playing part, somehow I was confused and thought ur baby was 2 years.
>>
>>18269320
If this were true only jews would reproduce.
>>
>>18269326
What do you mean 'if this was true'? It IS true
>>
>>18269320
You see I WAS financially stable before we got pregnant. My wife and I have been together for 7 years so it's not as though I knocked up a gf. I appreciate the feedback but what exactly do you mean "hold off," from what exactly? I don't spend time with my friends anymore, I don't play video games, I don't really do anything that takes me away from home besides work and even then I have to work reduced hours to spend time with my daughter and do homework.

>>18269319
>>18269323
Thank you. I do need to take more short naps. The really hard part is that I can't study or do homework when spending time with her. I can try but in the end both don't get the attention that they need.
>>
>>18269331
>what exactly do you mean "hold off," from what exactly?
From spending time with your family. You need to work to survive, and it doesn't seem like dropping out of school is an option either.

>I don't spend time with my friends anymore, I don't play video games, I don't really do anything that takes me away from home besides work and even then I have to work reduced hours to spend time with my daughter and do homework.
Like I said, there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything. You can't just conjure up some extra time, it just doesn't work like that.
>>
>>18269334
While I knew there wasn't a "silver bullet" sure hoped there would be. Thanks anon.

I suppose my question now is with limited hours available, what do you do to squeeze as much out of them as possible? Concentration tips I guess?
>>
>>18269335
Well with your family, you need to bond with your daughter too. When you can, spend time taking care of her. Change her, feed her (if she's not breastfeeding anymore), take her out for a walk, or just cuddle. Skin on skin contact is important for fathers and babies, just as much as it is with mothers. I'm sure your wife will appreciate it too. If you have friends or family who could look after your daughter for an evening or something, try to spend some time with your wife alone too. Your relationship with her is as important as your relationship with your daughter.

For work, it really depends on what you're doing. If it's something where you can afford to drop a shift or if you can work from home, try to do that. Even more flexible working arrangements could help you manage your time. You'd be surprised what your boss or manager can arrange for you if you just ask. The worst they can do is say no.

As for school, just power on through it. Like everyone who's studying should do, get into good time management habits, don't leave things to the last minute. It's really up to you how you want to do this, I always found a wall planner helped me, but even a post-it note with a to-do list could work for you.

Also you didn't mention anything about how long it takes you to travel to work. If you're travelling a long distance, consider moving closer.
>>
>>18269341
Great advice anon, thank you. She's bottlefed so I can help with feeding. Thankfully we have fantastic family that helps whenever they can. The time spent with daughter and wife has been really nice. One of the activities we can still do is gardening so when the weather is nice we get out and do that.

I work as a pizza delivery driver. My boss is really flexible thankfully and the money is good for the hours worked. The downside is while the money is okay, its just okay. No benefits as well. I took the job for school though.

I am a visual guy so a whiteboard would be helpful. Right now my main thing is capitializing on time when daughter is sleeping. I find myself up super late as a result, almost like a graveyard shift.

Unfortunately moving isn't an option. However we live on my wife's family property that's been in their family for many years.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.