[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

vacationing when you live with parents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I want to go on vacation when the semester is over, but I live with my parents and they will take every opportunity to micromanage my trip. They have always treated me like a child, and while they'd be perfectly fine with me going on a vacation, "a week of couch surfing with people i met online" is not going to fly well with them, especially if God forbid they learn that everyone I'm couch surfing with is a gay man (they dug through my shit to out me a few years ago and are doing their best to pray the gay away since then).

It's causing me some serious stress, and I feel really limited in what I can do to prepare for this trip. I really want to go take time off for myself and just exist as my own person away from my family, but I just don't feel comfortable explaining the plan to them.

I'm 21 and honestly should be able to just say "cya im driving 9 hours south, be back saturday" but i don't feel like i can do that either.

if nothing else, what are some ways i can describe this vacation to my parents that wont come back to bite me?
>>
so literally what is your trip plan?

Visiting friends for a while?
>>
>>18266160
Yep, couch surfing and partying. There is no agenda or purpose for the visit beyond wanting to meet up with some good online friends and wanting to see the city scene with some people who know it well.
>>
Hey Mom and Dad since I'm 21 I'm an adult and don't need your permission to leave the house for a week
>>
>>18266166
>online friends

how well do you actually know them? Ever met them in person?
>>
>>18266175
This would be the first time. We've skyped and talked for a long time, and i proposed the meeting as an act of whimsy.
>>
>>18266168
My sister recently attempted suicide and there's a huge push for family cohesiveness.

Forgot to mention in OP. They aren't unreasonable for feeling the need to know where I'm going, it's just irritating because every time I bring up any plan to do anything they feel like they have to be part of it.
>>
>>18266178
You sure you want to dedicate a 9 hour trip on an act of whimsy?

I know you're 21, so I guess do whatever the fuck you want. But I'm just trying to weigh in on the other side here. It just seems to me that you're putting a lot of faith on a trip to see people you honestly barely know.

If you want my opinion, I think your trip will flop.
>>
>>18266189
>>18266189
i feel so stuck and complacent in my life. i need to move forward and the only way to do that is to do something really stupid and break free of all my old shitty habits.

if someone proposed this trip to me and tried to bring me along, i'd shoot it down faster than anything. what do you mean you haven't picked out what places you're going to stay in? what do you mean you don't have an iterated list of things you're going to do while you're staying there? but it's not really a vacation in my traditional sense which is "going somewhere to have an experience." it's like the film negative of that. "leaving home to have no experiences."

im honestly pretty depressed at this point. i dont know what i want or why. i feel like im groping around in the dark. i just want something to change.

i've always been really shitty at being spontaneous. i only feel comfortable when everything is planned out perfectly, and i never put in enough effort to plan things out perfectly. so fuck it! i don't care anymore. i'm going on a stupid reckless unplanned vacation and i'm going to have fun doing it.

but i dont want to be a shitty son/brother either. i just want to be able to tell my family i'm going somewhere for a week and not have them check in on me every 15 minutes.
>>
>>18266243
"i feel so stuck and complacent in my life. i need to move forward and the only way to do that is to do something really stupid and break free of all my old shitty habits."

not that anon, but I think you're just falling prey to a romantic way of saying 'running away' that was sold to you by hollywood. I feel like you're going to use that exact phrase when on your trip and your conversational partner is going to say "yeah I get you" but in reality you'll both know it's bullshit. you don't 'need' to do something stupid.

What I do totally empathize with is wanting to get out of your house. I assume you're not in a college because otherwise that would be a real convenient way to not have to sleep in a parental home. Your long term strategy here would be to get a job so you can use your wage to get your own place.

As for the trip itself, like others said, I think your trip has a large chance of flopping. Just have a backup plan. Book alternating nights at a nearby hostel and the other night you're couchsurfing. If your parents complain about you staying at a stranger say 'look I'm also going to stay at a hostel and be in a room with 12 bunkbeds, I honestly think that couchsurfing with somebody I know for x months is a lot safer'. If they ask you why you're going in the first place, say that you were invited to a meetup of your friend circle and you're going to some kind of event or whatever and you already accepted and helped plan this 2 weeks ago. Like a band playing at a bar or a concert. Actually look one up so you have shit to do. If you lie that you're staying in a hotel, or they insist on paying for one, they will definitely call the hotel. Just leave the hotel after 11 and then couchsurf and have gay buttsex with your buddies.

Good luck
>>
>>18266155

"I have been feeling very stressed out lately and need some me time away from my comfort zone/what's familiar. You, my loving parents, understand right? RIGHT?"
>>
>>18266296
i can't think of anything from hollywood that inspired this. I romanticized the hell out of college for myself though, then ended up living at home while attending community college. Rocky first year and a half means I'm looking at 4 years for a 2 year degree. I want to cry just thinking about it. Let me out dammit!

It's not the first time I've shaken things up and won't be the last. I like to schedule small surprises for myself so that I can pretend I'm spontaneous and fun and not a soulless efficiency machine.

I'll keep a backup in mind, I do agree that I should at least have some idea of what to do if the shit hits the fan. If worst comes to absolute worst (barring unfortunate accidents like "car wrecked" or "robbed" or "murdered" which no backup can reasonably provide for), I can literally just drive back home after a day or two, or sleep in the car.
>>
>>18266181
Don't ask them right away, like approach one of them and ask them something like, "hey, how was your HS life like", they'll describe it, if they show some hints of where they had fun moments lynch off of that to wiggle yourself into convincing them into letting you have your own fun.
If they don't then ask them something that makes their life looks seriously tedious like, "So, up until the age of (wild guess), 25, all you did was, school, work, sleep, repeat."
That will prob get them to agree, if they bring up the fact that that happened cuz of no money then use that argument and turn it on them to show them that you're capable of taking care of yourself alone.(that is if you're th one paying for the vacations i didn't read OP)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.