[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alcoholism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1471576374299.png (312KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1471576374299.png
312KB, 499x499px
Okay /adv/ I pretty sure I'm an alcoholic.

Is this really a big deal? I am a functional adult. I have a full time job, own a home etc. What causes people to go to AA or decide to give up alcohol? Is it really a problem to drink everyday if it has no negative effect on your life?

Am I just lying to myself when I say it has no negative effect? And how would I know if I was lying to myself? I don't think anyone even knows that I drink everyday
>>
Of course you are. You'll get hit in the face with liver cirrhosis at 45-50.
>>
>>18265929
it takes a toll. try to get off the bottle now so you can be even better functioning. my dad was an alcoholic who hid it. he wasn't a bad guy and he loved my sister and I but there was a definite change for the better after we found out and got him help.
>>
File: 1415442219551.jpg (162KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1415442219551.jpg
162KB, 1024x768px
>>18265929
Is this really a big deal?
Yes. Your problems will arise later in life. Example: Herpes and AIDS dont appear immediately. You could still have them despite not seeing problems.
>I am a functional adult. I have a full time job, own a home etc.
Lots of addicts have those things.
>What causes people to go to AA or decide to give up alcohol?
Have you ever seen intervention? When the substance takes control of someone's life, forcing them to hit rock bottom, is typically when people go to AA. Smart people go BEFORE it's ruined their lives.
>Is it really a problem to drink everyday if it has no negative effect on your life?
Yes and it will eventually.
>Am I just lying to myself when I say it has no negative effect?
Well, no. Since you have no current negative side effects for your alcoholism, you can't lie to yourself. You ARE, however, lying to yourself about it never effecting you negitively.
>And how would I know if I was lying to myself?
When you know what can happen but you ignore it anyway with a "It could never happen to me" mindset.
>I don't think anyone even knows that I drink everyday
That's bad. That means no one knows about your problem. If no one knows, no one can help you.

Quit before it's too late. Be happy you're getting hindsight now instead of at age 45 when your liver is fucked.
>>
>>18265929
Nah, being a functional alcoholic is chill as fuck. Just watch out for DUIs though , that will wreck your day.
>>
>>18265929
There are definitely positives to not drinking, especially in terms of your physical health. But, since nobody really cares about their physical health and what their behaviors do to it until it starts affecting them personally, you're probably more concerned with the social downsides of drinking. It can also have a negative effect on your mental health if you drink a lot and are prone to bouts of anxiety or depression. Those problems will be exacerbated.

If you're not having any negative social effects (job loss, wrecked relationships, arrests, DUIs, etc.), and you don't care about the physical effects yet, there is no reason for you to stop.

Even though this guy is totally correct on all points >>18265999 and has repeating digits, it's on you. In AA we are not in the business of convincing people to stop drinking, we are in the business of helping people who want to stop drinking, stop. If things aren't bad for you, but you just have a vague notion that maybe you're drinking too much, idk what to tell you. If you want to stop, any AA worth his salt will help.
>>
>>18265929
i got slapped in the face after a 3 day bender with a pretty severe anxiety attack

i think it happened because my body was saying 'hey fuckface you have to deal with this shit thats fucking you up, dont just keep drinking like an asshole to avoid it'

after the first attack which was the worst, they kept on for months afterwards, pretty much every day

it really scared the shit out of me so i quit for a year and some change cold turkey because i realized if i didnt i was going to go down a really bad road

i thought i was totally fine and all cool before all this shit happened but that wasnt the case. id gone pretty far off the deep end but im glad i was able to pull back before something really bad happened. although now im back to drinking again, so idk man
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.