[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do political differences matter in a potential partner?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (207KB, 822x462px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207KB, 822x462px
There's a guy I really like in my uni class, we have a lot in common in terms of reading, music taste, generalised misanthropy etc-we get along great. However, once we get into anything more "values/politics" oriented, we're vastly different. He's kind of conservative and classic liberal, pro free market, pro army, pro gun, pro democracy etc. Whereas I'm more of a pacifist and tend to believe in benevolent dictatorships etc. while being a traditional 'lefty' on topic such as the environment.

We haven't yet gotten close enough to discuss actual values around relationships, so I don't really know how he feels on that front (although I don't believe he's traditional in the family sense, which is great for me since I love working and would hate to be a housewife).
So my question is, should I pursue this? Can different outlooks on the world work in a relationship? Or is it doomed to fail and I should just try to remain friends?
>>
>However, once we get into anything more "values/politics" oriented, we're vastly different.
Politics? That's probably something you can get around, depending on how strongly you feel about them. Values? Almost definitely not.
>>
>>18260221
Why do you say that?
>>
>>18260213

Depends on how important politics are to you two. If you can keep private and public life separate, it won't be an issue at all. But if you're both passionate about your beliefs, it will probably turn sour.
>>
>>18260224
Because values are generally deeper and quite strongly held beliefs. Differences in those are harder to reconcile. I imagine that you don't have many, if any, friends, whose values are polar opposites of yours, and that's for the same reason.
>>
>>18260213
>benevolent dictatorships

Maybe you should try to get with him on the off chance he makes you marginally less retarded.
>>
>>18260221

Seconding this - the only way politics should get in the way is if one or both of you is extremely immature, and/or political activity/interest is an important and defining aspect of one/both of your characters.

I would say absolutely go for it if you like him and don't second guess based on potential for value clash - as quoted guy said, it's probably doomed only if your core values clash. The only way to find out if that's the case is to try it though - as it is extremely unlikely that your or his core values are what either of you say, or even think they are.
>>
>>18260235
There have been many successful tyrants throughout history-I mean in the traditional Greek sense, which would be the best approximation of their "tyrants".
>>
File: richardalpert.jpg (44KB, 604x474px) Image search: [Google]
richardalpert.jpg
44KB, 604x474px
>>18260235

Now now, there's no need for that, this is /adv/, not /pol/. Let's just get along :(
>>
>>18260213

Not as long as everything else is compatible.

I live in the US. I'm a registered Republican (not the kind of memester 4chan shit. I believe in my own shit since I was 16 and long since before I knew of 4chan.... perhaphs before 4chan even existed... yes I'm that old)

My girlfriend is a democratic. Her entire family is democratic. They always have CNN or some other democratic news channel on, and her grandmas always sitting there shouting at the TV about some democratic news and how dumb republicans are or something.

Legitimately, when I met them, apparently I got the pass as "He's a nice guy. For a republican"

Shit don't phase me. We talk about each others beliefs, and we have conflicting ones sometimes, but IDGAF. She's entitled to believe what she believes just as much as I am. I respect that, she respects that, so it's all good.

My best friend and her girlfriend have something similar too.

My best friend is pretty old school Mexican values (minus the fact that--you know--she's gay) and is highly opinionated on her beliefs and political views. Her girlfriend is similarly opinionated, but in the complete opposite way. She's Vegan, she's a liberal school teacher, she's very political active and all about women's rights (which... my friend is too, but still not to her level)

My friend CONSTANTLY makes fun of her. Literally starts eating burritos in front of her face saying, MMmmm such good meat. Starts making up random shit that she knows will trigger her girlfriend. Constantly trolling her.

They've been living together for almost a year now. The relationship is the happiest one she's ever been in.
>>
>tfw you agree on politics

It's honesty a greater feel than you can imagine until you experience it. Politics are informed by deeper beliefs and values, so when you and your partner share them, you understand each other in a very meaningful way. You click.

Having conversations for hours where you just "get" eachother, ranting, laughing, and getting passionate together about the same things is something special.
>>
>>18260221
your political views are based on your values, moron. so yes, they matter.
>>
>>18260213
In the end politics often depend on your values and if these differ too much, it's not going to work. For most normal people the differences aren't too extreme, so there are often ways for compromises though. Definitely talk about your values and expectations from the partner.

>pacifist
Doesn't have to be anti-army unless he is all pro invasions.

>benevolent dictatorships
Is it really that different from the dictatorship of the market?

>a traditional 'lefty' on topic such as the environment
Climate change isn't a political topic for somewhat educated people, only the ways dealing with it are.
>>
>>18260268
My girlfriend and me have pretty much identical values and very similar political views and while in a way it's great, in a way it's pretty boring too. Can't have much of debate with someone who sees things the same for the same reasons even if we tried to spice it up with devils advocate.

My ex was a dirty centrist and arguing about politics was one of the most fun things for us both.
>>
>>18260296
Don't fall for the grass being greener anon. You have a rare and good thing you should appreciate.
>>
>>18260300
Well, I wouldn't say it's greener, in the end I prefer having someone with same values over fun arguments about that since there are tons of other topics but there are definitely downsides to everything.
>>
>>18260279

Values are only one of the many factors (including values you proclaim to other and values you proclaim to yourself, both of whic are different from your actual values) that inform political views. So a difference in political views can damage an interpersonal relationship if the difference in politics reveals a difference in core, actual values. However, more likely than not, difference in political views will be a difference in how the same values are processed through the different logic, emotion, knowledge, bias, circumstance, etc. of either person, which usually isn't going to be much of an issue between people on a personal level. Cunt.
>>
File: 1457929647017.jpg (57KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457929647017.jpg
57KB, 624x480px
>tend to believe in benevolent dictatorships
Normally I'd say it's something that can be worked out but this is something else. The whole premise of a dictatorship runs counter to his entire belief system from what I can tell.
>>
>>18260213
It won' t matter because your views are so far out there (i.e. fucking stupid). Any self respecting man that you find attractive will probably have views similar to your guy. You're going to have to learn to work around it anyway eventually because I doubt you'll ever find someone who thinks like you and isn't a loser (the first sentence was mean but I don't mean this in a bad way here, it's just the truth). You might as well start now. A lot of women tend to open up to how their boyfriend thinks as the relationship goes on, too.
>>
Yeah it's not a big deal OP. it's just politics. Personal relationships are way more important.

Why would you want to only be around people that think like you anyways? If you both are cool people you can even have interesting debates
>>
>>18260213
Your view points are terrible OP, and this guy should find someone who isn't as much of a bitch as you
>>
>>18260213
Maria Shriver of the Kennedy clan was married to Arnold Schwarzenegger of someplace right of Gengis Khan for 20 years, and it wasn't until he started screwing the housekeeper that they had any problems.
>>
>>18260213
Absolutely fuck yes they matter.
Classic example
>child comes out the closest
>dad disowns child
>mom protects child
>divorce every time
If you plan to have a child it is a HUGE factor. If not then its still a big factor and something you need to be able to deal with.
>have tranny best friend
>SO refuses to acknoledge them
Can you deal with that. Are you able to respect each others boundaries?
>>
I used to think politics would be a deal breaker. That I could date somebody with different religious beliefs, tastes in media, hobbies and interests, etc etc, but politics would have to be similar.

Then I met this girl at uni. We talk a lot, she's funny (funny girls are the best because a lot of girls make the dude do all the work in cracking jokes), she's smart, she's attractive, she likes talking to me and said I'm her favorite person to talk to in this student club we're both in…

Turns out she's super conservative. "Everything bad that happens in the economy is because of the government." Lol.

After I found that out, I didn't lose any respect for her. In fact, I respected her enough to (politely) debate her (I've previously debated her in religion because she's a theist), because if I think somebody is just a dumbass, I don't debate them, I just go "okay cool I understand your point" and move on, because it isn't worth it.

She also gets really cute when she gets a bit flustered in a disagreement.

I'd totally go for it if she didn't have a boyfriend.
>>
>>18261097
>I'd totally go for it if she didn't have a boyfriend.

And, in fact, I think I will, anyhow. She's in a LDR and her boyfriend wants her to transfer to his school. She said she'd apply, but is hesitant about having to move to that city.

>I have an in.jpg

I'm not going to do anything unethical like try to break them up or cheat with her. I'll just hang out with her a bit, continue to make her laugh, and if the romantic tension I think is there is really there… she may decide that it's not worth it to move just for the sake of her relationship, that she has options over here.

I think she digs me because she's always speaking fondly of her pops (thinks he's intelligent, knowledgeable, centered), and her compliments toward me are very similar to what she respects in her dad (thinks I'm smart and stuff). Her dad seems to kind of push her intellectually, so she probably sees a resemblance in how we challenge each other.

Oh god, I hope she calls me "daddy" during rough political-disagreement sex.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.