[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creepy Customer at Retail Job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Herbert.jpg (78KB, 300x315px) Image search: [Google]
Herbert.jpg
78KB, 300x315px
I'm a 25 year old female, I work in a grocery store. I'm polite and courteous when dealing with customers, which is a given in any retail job.

So this old man (I'd guess in his 70s-80s) starts talking to me one day, general small chit chat, didn't think much of it. Then I notice I start seeing him more often. And more, and more, and more. He pretty much knows my schedule, and always has to stop and talk to me. I'm still nice about it, but goddamn, I am so fucking creeped out by this guy. I dread going into work every single day just because I know he's going to show up. My anxiety and blood pressure are through the roof.

Around Thanksgiving he brought in a bottle of wine for me, with "To anon, love grandpa" on it. Like what the fuck? Then he did it again a few weeks ago. Now he keeps bringing me fast food breakfast sandwiches in the morning. And rather than typical small talk, he keeps bringing up money in some way, like how much his home is worth and joking that "your mother must be thinking I want something from you when she saw the wine heh heh" Today I was in the backroom, and a coworker said someone was asking for me and I fucking knew it was him. I greeted him, he leaned in for a hug so I just gave him a tap on the back and he kissed my fucking neck and I've been pissed out of my mind all day.

At first I thought, it's fine, he's just a lonely old man. But now I'm seriously creeped out and I don't know what the fuck to do other than quit this job and hope he doesn't find me at whatever next one I find.

Any anons been stalked before? I'm not at all a people person, I barely speak to anyone and I can't handle confrontation. I'm losing my shit here.
>>
If some rich person wanted to give me money I would do it in a heartbeat. I would kill for a sugar momma to spoil me
>>
Give him sum fuk
>>
This sounds creepy as shit, but he's probably just old and lonely. I worked in this restaurant and some lady was similar, very old and came in more and more. We called her crazy wine lady. She would drink and just say stupid bullshit. Drink to the point that her lips turned purple from wine and she couldnt say 2 words without mumbling. She got very physical with the employees, trying to get us to drink and stuff. Eventually they banned her.

Your case is different, and if I were you i would tell the manager first. If he refuses to act, then I would resign and hope the guy never finds you. Also if you do leave, dont tell anyone where you work now. He might come in one day, ask for you, employee says you left, he asks where you work now, and the employee inocently says 'oh now at the CVS'. He will see you again. Best to leave a cold trail.

This doesnt sound like he will find you in a dark alley with a shovel tier, but its still just a very old and creepy old man.

tl;dr talk to the manager. if he refuses to act, quit and leave 0 hints about your next job or location
>>
>>18258881
Yeah but I just want to be left alone, my body language screams that I'm not social person. I'm at work to fucking work. He once offered to take me out for lunch and I declined, that should have been enough of a hint. I don't understand people.

>>18258888
fuck no.

>>18258898
Thanks anon. I think I'm too embarrassed about this to tell someone. I guess it's time I start job hunting.
>>
Why dont you just fucking tell him to stop? You know if he brings you breakfast or whatever tell him you can't take it. If he takes this shit the wrong way then call the fucking police. You have to reject people when they're starting off or else they think you like it
>>
>>18258984
I have refused his offers, and he just insists and doesn't let me get a word in. I regret it now of course but when I'm put on the spot like that, at work, I'm a fucking retard.
>>
>>18258953
>my body language screams that I'm not social person.
But you accepted a bottle of wine, food, and hug.
You're sending mixed signals.
Stop accepting his gestures. Let conversations die.
Be professional, nothing more.
He's probably going to react poorly before he starts acting appropriately. Be prepared and willing to deal with that. Talk to your supervisor now about what's been going on and how you want it to stop. They will be happy to take some responsibility for making the changes.
>>
>>18258875
You really should talk to a manager about it. Forget being embarrassed. Dont let this spiral out of control
>>
>>18258875
Say this or something similar ''Hey Anon, don't take this the wrong way but you have to stop.(try not offend him so he doesn't become more stalkerish).I'm glad you TRY to be friendly but it really bothers me since I don't know you. If he had decency he would understand. You shouldn't have to quit your job just be straight up with him. If he continues tell your boss. Ask for advice. If he still does continue I guess you have no choice but to leave.
>>
>>18259018
Lol, she's in an environment where she has to be polite because it's her job, and she's being put on the spot. She isn't sending "mixed signals." The onus isn't on her to make this guy understand why what he's doing is weird and inappropriate. The onus is on him to not assume that people are comfortable with his weird advances.

I don't buy that he's just some lonely guy who means we'll. He's not in love. He doesn't know this chick. He just picked some random woman he's physically attracted to to try and bag.

OP should just go to management about this and have this guy warned that if he does it again, he's banned. I guarantee you this guy won't go, "oh, okay, didn't realize she was uncomfortable, I'm sorry." He'll go all "YOU UNGRATEFUL BITCH DON'T YOU KNOW YOU OUGHT TO RESPECT YOUR ELDERS I WAS BEING NICE TO YOU." Because he's not just some innocent lovestruck old man who cares for her. He's just a creep.
>>
>>18259171
She's not being put on the spot though, because she knows that this old fag is after her. Why not mentally prepare something to say? Why not show disinterest towards him? What the fuck is he gonna do, go complain to management?
>>
>>18259171
> Accepted a bottle of wine
That's a mixed signal. The very nature of my job leads to similar situations happening to me.

> NEVER accept a gift
Say it's a new policy.

> NEVER make physical contact
Don't provide a reason. If he asks just say "it's not appropriate." Nothing more, nothing less. Not even a fucking hand shake. If he tries give him a Bert stare.

It's that fucking easy. Give a 2 ft birth.
>>
Hes gaining social advantage over you. Best way to deal with this without starting (or per your suggestion: ending) something big is through you forcing him to self actualize a little. Best way to do that is by talking to him and asking about his life and friends, worst case scenario: you get a reason for him being so needy - making the creepy vibes go away, and best case he loses his reason for being with you (which was as an escape from his own boring life and problems). If he avoids certain parts of his life dig deeper, and if he doesn't answer leave. This should win you some ground.

That was the good solution. A quick solution is to just cold shoulder his ass and never accepting more gifts/ compliments. (H-how: leave it on the ground if he tries really hard); no means no, with or without the canadian 'sorry'. Note: he might get psycho from this alone so get some self defense plans/ friends to watch your ass. You technically owe him something, so the psycho thing is quite likely.

Your mistake was giving him the charm advantage. Dude's bought you 30 metaphorical drinks, and you just smiled and drunk em. Gg beb
>>
>>18258875
Just tell him straight out that you'll go on a date with him if he buys you a brand new Mercedes off the lot, otherwise you're not interested. Presumably he will tell you to get fucked, but worst case you get a $25,000 car for free, and that's if he has the sense to special order a base model A Class.
>>
>>18259260
this
>>
>>18258888
The quads have spoken
>>
tell the old coot to fuck off
>>
Well, as you say you are a polite person and that makes it difficult because you don't want to break his fantasy but you have 2 ways.

Ignore him until he notice he's annoying.

Speak to him and tell him the truth.

Simple as that, girl.
>>
Take him out to a singles bar and introduce him to someone drunk enough not to care. Problem solved.
>>
>>18258875
>I'm not at all a people person, I barely speak to anyone and I can't handle confrontation
You're basically stalking-material kek, you should work on those first.
Be assertive, look at him dead in the eye, and tell him you need to work. And act cold. Be professional. When he gives you gifts, refuse. It will be hard and you'll feel like shit bur you've got to stop it somehow.
>>
>>18259260.
This.
You're 25 and work at a fucking grocery store. Don't act like you're above doing this.
>>
File: 1492470938600.gif (468KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1492470938600.gif
468KB, 500x282px
Casually mention you have aids, and never stop bringing it up. Only talk about aids when you're around him. You have to commit to this, anything he says you must relate to aids somehow.

Or do something equally stupid
>>
Find a fake boyfriend/husband.
>>
>>18258875
The perv is trying to see where your limits are. Stop accepting gifts and don't accept any physical contact. A simple "I can't accept that" is enough.
>>
>>18259030
This. It's pretty much management's job to make sure employees are safe. Any normal workspace will deal with customers who are making employees feel uncomfortable. It's nothing embarrassing.

Going to management is better than trying to deal with the guy yourself. For one, if you politely tell him to stop, and he goes to management and lies and says that you did something wrong, it'll be word against word. If you go to management first, there will be prior evidence that your side of the story is the correct one.
>>
>>18261861
totally agree talk to management about this
>>
talk to your manager, but you also must take action for yourself and not rely on management. decline all further physical contact. do not hug or touch customers. packaged gifts should be re-gifted or shared, and you should say you're going to share them. if you keep his gifts you'll think of him every time you see them and you don't want that, so get rid of everything. sell, re-gift, or donate. open food items like hot sandwiches: throw 'em away. don't smile when told to or do anything else when told to unless it is your job. display self-respect. others won't respect your boundaries if you don't have the will to do so. desu "anti-social body language" is very vague. someone like that won't care or notice anyway. you must be clear and firm. obviously don't shove an old ass man but do not allow him to grasp you, and say out loud, loud enough for others to hear, "no, don't touch me, thanks"

don't ever worry about being impolite to someone who is walking all over you. their annoyance at not getting their way isn't your problem. what is he gonna do, tell your manager you won't accept fast food gifts from a virtual stranger when you should be working?

also check your local sex offender database lol
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.