[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Why can't I get a job?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: retail.jpg (64KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
retail.jpg
64KB, 900x675px
I'm currently 18 and in my last year of high school. I have plenty of volunteer experience and whatnot, but I'd like to get myself a simple part-time job.

So far I've applied to 6 entry level places in foods services. I keep getting rejected, sometimes just ignored. I've usually sent my applications online but at one point I tried going in so that the manager could get a feel for me, but they fucking told me they'd prefer people to just apply online since it's easier.

TL;DR I just want a fucking part time job, what the hell am I doing wrong?
>>
>>18252386
It's normal to ask at 5-10 different places for jobs. The best is to call imo. Have a nice short talk. Most companies prefer older people because they dont tend to come to late and have more responsibility. See the whole thing as a challenge.
>>
you're not willing to work enough different times to be worth hiring.
>>
Had the same issue when I was applying for similar jobs at your age. I can provide two ideas:
1. Just keep applying and applying to local retail jobs until you get lucky
2. If you're willing and able to do full time work over the summer, contact a local temp agency and ask to be offered unskilled labor jobs that you can do over the summer. You'd likely make more money doing this than you would through part time work. Many of these jobs are blue collar, and set in factories.
>>
>>18252405
This.
Protip, you always put open availability on the application, even if it isn't true, and just hash that out later or at the interview.

No slave wage employer has any time for any kid who won't work the second they say to.

(The exception for you being that obviously you're in high school, so you should def block out the school days because they will understand it's illegal for you to just ditch school. But from 4pm to 10pm every week day, and open to close every weekend, you should be ready to devote your life to your employer to get those schmeckles.)
>>
Got a license and a car? Go to all the local pizzerias and apply to be a delivery boy. Shit most don't even have applications they'll just have you work for like 3 hours to see if you're retarded or not
>>
>>18252386

Not sure if it's still the case these days, but Abercrombie & Fitch/Hollister does open interviews and hires a LOT of people. They hire for stock and floor, and have pretty flexible 4-5 hour shifts. Worth checking out. It's what I did for my first five years.
>>
>>18252386
Just keep applying to places. 6 isn't really that many. I was in your exact position about two weeks ago, except I had no experience, and now I'm employed. Keep at it man, you'll get something.
>>
>>18252386

You seem like a good writer, work for rev.com and $5 a day.
>>
>>18252519
5$ a day is a joke, most of the jobs now are 10$ an hour.
>>
I was in a similar position as you. I just kept applying for over a month and only got the job I have now because I tried to find one spot that I heard was hiring, had to follow one road... and couldn't find the damn place. So I applied at a different place and got hired in 2 days.

Point is, keep going and putting yourself out there. You'll get a job when you a) find a place in desperate need of people / b) have a friend who works at a place / c) get lucky

Seriously, there are too many people for there to be enough jobs so you have to keep going at it until a TINY hole opens up then just BOLT for it. Get it first, accept it if it's good later.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.