[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GF depressed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Hi /adv/,

My girlfriend says she is depressed and has recently started taking anti depressants.

My trouble with it is that I dont think she has the mindset that she can feel better and I think that a ot of her thoughts contribute to how she feels. Often I even question some of them.

For example, she started taking anti depressants and the first thing she said is that she has to keep an eye out on side effects in the first 2 weeks etc. Normally a sensible comment, however I know/knew this would be a trigger to have said side effects. Now I said that each side effect is highly unlikely and to get two or three would be super-rare, however she mentioned a few already. "oh I get so dizzy when I stand up", or "my concentration is really low at the moment", this is just a few days after taking them.

Two weeks later and she says that she is getting bad sleep, like she doenst feel like she has had proper deep sleep and feels tired. "Not sleeping is a major depression trigger btw" and other self-proclaimed expert opinions.

I just feel like she is very dramatic about everything and if something is a potential negative, then it will happen, or at least through sheer worrying about it it actually happens.

I don't want to come across as insensitive or unsupportive but I almost don't believe some of her statements. Currently I'm supporting her but its really hard when she seemingly doesnt want help, any help doesnt work or causes other problems.

Am I totally not understanding her depression problems? I just feel like she naturally has a dramatic personality, is partial to the odd BS claim, and it feels a little like that.
>>
What is she depressed about?
>>
>>18252049
nothing in particular, she's always said she has waves of depression, just says she feels numb to emotion.

Imagine living at home still with no job, long distance relationship etc doesnt help
>>
Sounds like my cousin who is a hypochondriac.

Unfortunately she has children and they are suffering some Munchausen syndrome by proxy bullshit.

She claims they don't eat, have celiac and she is supposedly gluten intolerant and lactose intolerant (my family is white enough to blind and no one else on either side has these genetic issues, and neither does the father of her children). She also claims they have some sort of ketone glucose processing disease that is like diabetes but isn't (you have to test the kid's ketones with a finger prick of blood every day), some stupid rare shit that isn't really even accepted among main stream doctors. Claims their energy is low

Whenever they have visited my father or my grandmother or they visit the kids, the kids have a voracious appetite and are completely fine.

Get out before you get entrenched and commit, because hypochondriacs will carry this over to their offspring.

I say this because I actually suffered manic depression from a dopamine imbalance due to to Accutane, so I know what legit depression needing meds feels like. And surprisingly it doesn't completely revolve around self-pity, that is how you can tell the difference between someone going through a sad time or for attention they are being denied, and legitimate neurotransmitter depression.
>>
>>18252041
I've taken anti depressants and they are exactly how she describes, especially the first few weeks. Maybe you should believe and support your gf.
>>
>>18252067
>it's another episode of "my meme depression is real but yours isn't"

I agree with you on the hypochondriac thing though. OP should get out - it's not like he has to feel guilty, she's not suicidal or anything.

Your cousin's insanity might turn CPS tier so keep an eye out for that
>>
>>18252072
perhaps, I do wonder, perhaps im being an asshole just questioning it.

She says she can feel herself sleeping and its really trippy, I just think she wants to live like a movie
>>
>>18252110
Are you a spoiled white and middle class or something? You sound like you've never had a problem in your life
>>
>>18252076
I dunno I just had an actual side effect which was depression. But then again they said severe acne could lead to depression if I didn't take it. I don't know, I just know I slept 13hrs and still felt tired, lost all interest in any of my hobbies or socialization. Bad or good events had zero impact in lifting my spirits or getting me down. Attempted suicide because I can't really explain. I was bored and very sad because I was bored, so I thought non existence was a solution. Went to doctors and eventually they found my dopamine levels were wildly askew from medication.

Situational depression (which is what OP's gf sounds like she has somewhat) is an actual thing too, often coupled with anxiety disorder. The best method of treatment for this is NOT meds people who have manic depression take, which have the dizzy etc side effects as described in OP. They will not work, and due to anxiety the situation becomes worse and festers.

Therapy is probably what she needs. After my mother passed away in front of my eyes I started slipping into similar behaviors of when I was suffering Accutane side effects. But I had an awesome neurologist (my sister has epilepsy and I went to him for drug info after my behavioral psychiatrist told me about the dopamine side effect imbalance) who is very conservative with prescribing meds and observational. He told me the symptoms weren't the exact same and were situational, and situational-based depression is not fixed by dopamine oriented meds.

I got therapy and it saved me. Haven't had a spell since I went to therapy for that in 2011.

Basically, OP's gf depression revolves around day to day events and the meds could make it worse because it isn't a chronic dopamine or serotonin production issue. She sounds like she feels neglected and needs attention, especially since this is an LDR. Which is why she says exhibits the rarer side effects. How does OP know if he isn't there?

And yes, I am keeping an eye on the kids Cont
>>
>>18252148
Cont
Ever since she uploaded a picture to Facebook with the youngest having a feeding tube. And whenever they are in the hospital she is nonstop on social media with posted updates and pictures. Kinda cuts into the kids' privacy...
>>
>>18252041

Why are you even dating her?

It doesn't sound like you respect her or her thoughts.
>>
>>18252041
It could be a combination of actual depression, her thoughts, and her being a drama queen.
>>
>>18252154
Who the fuck are you? reading her mind? Don't listen to this idiot OP
>>
>>18252259
I agree with this anon, and I feel like a woman would become a drama queen in response to her partner being neglectful and generally dismissive to what she's going through. She's been crying out for help and at least she's not pretending to be happy to please others which is what I tried to do when I was depressed...
>>
>>18252300
I'm not that person but I think you're an idiot. Or you're OP samefagging.
>>
>>18252140
>>18252072
Wow you people are idiots, OP I have dated someone with depression, if you don't want to do it, just don't do it. It's not your job to fix someone and being a crutch most of the time makes it worse. You're not a bad person for not understanding or not wanting to deal with it, fuck these idiots
>>
>>18252313
No one here has told OP he has to date someone with depression. If you actually read, you'll see the problem is he doesn't BELIEVE she has real depression, or at the least he dismisses her thoughts and feelings as a farce. I actually agree that he should break up with her because he clearly can't understand it enough to be supportive.
>>
>>18252323
maybe you could explain it to him since you're the expert and this is an advice thread? Oh, you probly don't know what the fuck you're talking about do you? Cue your bullshit story that no one cares to hear about you supposedly having depression
>>
>>18252330
Don't see why I should bother explaining anything to someone who's only interest is clearly to shoot things down and be an ass. And >>18252072
is perfectly relevant and solid non-critical advice.
>>
>>18252041
Side effects are real shit.
I dont know if hers are real but you shouldnt worry about switching to something different if it doesnt change after a couple of months.
Even if her depression isnt real doesnt mean that the side effects of the meds wont be real.
I would recommend mindful thinking courses.
I hurt my back and had severe chronic pain which caused me to experience really bad depression (it runs in my family and my father committed suicide).
It helped a lot and deals with the stuff you are talking about like self fulfilling prophecy.
Its all about realizing how there are things we can control that can make intense emotions better or worse.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.