[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the benefits of harming oneself? Are there actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

What are the benefits of harming oneself?
Are there actually benefits to self-injury?
I hate physical pain but want to know if it will do anything to help my mental state. And if so, how?
>>
Do you feel more mentally alert when you have a cold, sore throat, or any other illnesses? Probably not as physical pain takes a toll of your psyche. Harm yourself is hugely a dumb fad that does nothing to boost your esteem
>>
the only "benefit" i can think of is if youre too cowardly to reach out for help. if someone sees that you carve yourself up like a turkey then they'll try to help you. beyond that it does nothing for you
>>
The instant benefit to self-harm would be the rush of endorphins. It can relieve mental stress and pain in that sense, but obviously it isn't any kind of long term solution.
I got into the habit of self-harm to relieve the stress from panic attacks. Alcohol, smoking, drugs etc, all could provide temporary relief as well but there is no magical solution in any of these things.

If you want a real solution to help your mental state, actually address the issue at the source of the problem, your own mind.
I'd suggest finding people to talk to about how you feel. Sort your thoughts out to yourself and maybe take up reading. Find a mental solution for your mental problem.
>>
>>18251931
I'd have thought that the instantaneous sharp pain would have a different effect than the slow lethargic dull feeling that comes with a cold.
>>18251933
The social implications of having people voluntarily help me are appealing but I realize that that is an insanely petty way to think. I feel somewhat like I deserve it, but deep down I know that part of the reason would be because I'm desperate for sympathy to my situation.
>>18251944
My doctor has recommended I start with therapy, I have conflicting feelings regarding it though, on one hand I realize that it would probably do me a world of good in combination with the medication I'm taking, but on the other hand part of me thinks I don't deserve the help of a professional, when other people are most likely dealing with situations much harder than mine.
>>
>>18251911
Well it's a form of stress relief
It's good for relieving high amounts of stress quickly
But it doesn't last and doesn't fix the causes of the stress
And it carries the risk of infections and disfigurements
So all in all not really good bang for your buck
>>
>>18251994
There will always be people worse off than you and people whom have it much better. If you are going to compare your situation to others then at least keep in mind the people that get depressed while having everything they could ever want in life and the people that are happy with far worse situations.

I've been to about 9 therapists over the course of my life and they were all wildly different people. Find someone that works for you and I would suggest looking for a "talk therapist" instead of a behavioral therapist, just as a heads up. Behavioral therapists are only interested in immediate results.
>>
>>18251994
This whole "I don't deserve help" shit is typical for depression and why you do need help.
>>
>>18251911
>>
>>18251911
Go to the gym, nigga
You get the same feeling
But instead of making yourself ugly for life, you make yourself better
>>
>>18251911
I have anxiety,and it helped me relive my anxiety.

Not only by cutting,but by burning and punching walls. Whenever I got extremely anxious or sad,I'd just punch a wall,or cut.

It's a relief I can't explain,and if you've never cut,you won't understand.

The first time I did it I was just curious,till it became a coping method. Don't get into it tho,sucks trying to hide scars.
>>
>>18251911
it might feel good to put lotion over it but other than that its done out of impulse not a plan. i recommend watching a sad movie if you feel depressed or try a nee video game even if its not main stream.
>>
>>18252809
GYM
Go to the gym
You get the exact same feeling
But it actually helps you
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.