[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Depression + Relationships?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0678.jpg (65KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0678.jpg
65KB, 1024x576px
This is something I continue to not understand.

How can someone with depression get a girlfriend/boyfriend? I don't understand how someone who feels shitty and down all the time can form that type of connection with another person. It doesn't make sense to me.

For me, I've never had a girlfriend before. I know that's linked to my depression because I don't feel worthy enough for someone to like me, even tho people have shown interest. I don't feel deserving of it.

I'm not exactly asking for advice for myself. I'm just trying to understand how is it that someone with depression and have a relationship. The concept of it .
>>
>>18250549
If you're physically attractive it helps. If you're constantly complaining about your insecurities a female will find you problematic. Females like strong men, a guy who keeps his composure, silent and mysterious; women don't flock to cry babies and insecure guys. What woman would want to pass on those genetics? Fake it til you make it, OP. And when you find yourself a qt with mental problems you can resonate with, show her empathy and sympathize with her issues but don't gush over them and talk about yours, instead help her and overcome the issues together thus helping you in dealing with your own internal warfare. Good luck.
>>
>>18250566

That's not exactly what I meant.

Ok, so let's say a Guy has depression. He meets a girl. The girl likes him. How can HE continue into a relationship if he's depressed af? Regardless of what she wants, how can he do it?

I had a cute girl ask me out last autumn. You know what I told her? "No.. I can't, sorry". Because I didn't feel deserving of her time, and I'm sure there is a better dude down the line anyways. That is my depression at work.
>>
In my experience, so long as you're physically attractive, have disposable income, and live in a populated area, there are women who will put up with just about any mental flaws of yours.
>>
>>18250579
My boyfriend told me he felt like he didn't deserve me. I told him to let me be the judge of that.
Been together 5 years, very happy.
>>
>>18250588

Please read my question again.

>>18250589

Did he actually deal with depression?
>>
>>18250593
>Did he actually deal with depression?
He is in therapy and taking pills. I don't think he'll ever be healthy, but he is better.
He still has very bad periods (last one just finished a couple of weeks ago, lasted almost 6 months), but we can deal with it because we love each other and we learnt how to go through shit.
>>
>>18250604

Ok so this is where I'm curious. How is he able to open up with you? I mean, if he doesn't like himself, how is it he allows himself to share experiences with you?

Speaking for myself, even if I like a girl and find her attractive, as soon as she attempts to show interest or affection toward me I back away. I don't like myself. Even tho I've made some serious positive changes both cosmetically and professionally, I don't like myself. So why would I want to let someone like me?
>>
>>18250613
I guess he just knows I love him, no matter how ugly he feels or how horrible his thoughts are. I love the shit out of him, I did since the first time we talked, and nothing he can say or do will make me change my mind.

It gets harder when he's heavily depressed, but most of the time it isn't so bad and he opens up more.
>>
>>18250613
Have you ever thought maybe you have some other problems? How are you socially?
>>
>>18250619

Hmm. It's just hard for me to understand his thinking I guess. I've just never understood it.

For me it's quite strange. I could be talking to a girl that I find attractive. But, literally as soon as she starts showing interest back. It's like a switch flips in my head and I distance myself. It feels "wrong" for a girl to like me. So I always push them away very quickly before anything happens. I've been doing this for at least 6 years I think.
>>
>>18250626

Socially? Well, at work im well liked by all of my co-workers. They often do nice things for me. Just yesterday a female co-worker brought in a container of homemade Macaroni and cheese just for me because she wanted me to try it.

That's really the only place I'm social. Otherwise I'm at the gym where it's quiet, or studying.
>>
>there are actually people who believe that they will find somebody who loves them if they don't truly love themselves
WRONG

Also, if you niggers would FUCKING EXERCISE, and eat a bit healthier, your chemical imbalances would go away relatively quickly.

40 years ago, being a normal person with decent self esteem would make you nothing more than an average guy - nothing special. Nowadays, there are so many losers who spend all day and night self-loathing for no particular reason that literally all you have to do to be "Chad" is to be normal.

Honestly, if this thread represents the average young westerner today, then our society DESERVES to die. May a horde of Muhammads bomb and stab us all. You're already dead on the inside, you "depressed" cunts, so someone may as well kill you on the outside.
>>
>>18250645
When will this "just exercise and eat healthy, your depression will go away" meme end?
God fucking damn.

>>18250627
Have you seen a therapist? Are you talking to someone about this? It's really hard to get out of it on your own.
>>
>>18250579
Im in that situation now, i found wife material. I dont know how to proceed, the closer i get to her, the more i shut in. idk whats going on, normally im the guy that everyone has their attention on, but with her its hard to keep a conversation up
>>
>>18250645

>Also, if you niggers would FUCKING EXERCISE, and eat a bit healthier, your chemical imbalances would go away relatively quickly.

I'm literally going to the gym right now. I've been going to the gym several time a week for the past few months. I can visually see improvements. I eat reasonable too. I can actually see a layer of lean muscle which I used to not have.

Just because I'm getting in physical shape doesn't me that I have to like myself. I think I can say that I look decent. But even still, I just don't like myself
>>
>>18250654

I have a therapist. But I have a difficult time opening up to him about select things.

The thing is tho, I'm so used to this feeling I'm thinking about just keeping it to myself. It's like I'm in a comfort zone now. I sort of accept the fact that I'll never be able to form a relationship. So why even bother. The point of this thread was because I'm curious how other people that deal with depression could still allow others to show affection toward them.
>>
>>18250619
respect, hopefully i will find someone that has the same mindset as you. Im emotional fragile, but besides emotions i am 9/10 in everything i do. Its weird to say but all i want in a relationship is someone i can go to to get love, i just want warmth. I think this side of me is gonna ruin my hopefully soon to be relationship up
>>
>>18250549
They either have a vagina or they don't have depression and just call minor normal malaise depression.
>>
>>18250654
It's not a meme though, it's true and there's tons and tons of research backing it up.
>>
>>18250668
It is a meme. While a healthy lifestyle helps, a mental issue is a mental issue and it has to be treated as such with medications, therapy and appropriate medical help. Being able to keep a healthy lifestyle is mostly a symptom that you're doing better.
>>
>>18250549
It's possible but it's not necessarily a healthy relationship.
>>
>>18252105

How does a depressed person actually muster the strength for a relationship? If someone doesn't like themself, how can they let someone else like them?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.