[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is International Relations a good major?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: InternationalRelations.jpg (56KB, 740x330px) Image search: [Google]
InternationalRelations.jpg
56KB, 740x330px
Hey /adv/

In a few months I'm heading off abroad to study International Relations at university. I'm feeling concerned I've made a mistake by doing this.

What do you guys think about IR? Is it worth studying? (be brutally honest) What kind of jobs am I most likely to land with this degree?
>>
>>18246553
Im an IR senior, no idea what jobs i can get. Probably not many.
>>
>>18246553
Fuck no. If you're actually interested in politics and the public service do Law.

Getting in the foreign office is extremely difficult if that's what you want to do and your chances are slim
>>
>>18246561
Oh man, it's not every day that I encounter someone who studies IR, mind if I ask you a few questions?

What should people need to consider before deciding to study IR?

What has been your favourite and least favourite thing about studying this major?

What prior knowledge should you have before studying IR?
>>
>>18246574
I did a complimentary course about Law in high school and it bored the living fuck out of me.

I hadn't considered getting in the foreign office, but now that you mentioned that I guess I should avoid it.

I picked IR because I'm interested in politics at an international level. I don't have anything planned beyond that though.
>>
Lots of government jobs value IR. Some international companies do too
>>
>>18246592
What kind of work would I have to do in an international company? Sounds interesting.
>>
>>18246587
No you shouldn't avoid joining the foreign office, just know that its hard as fuck and something you should consider way later down the line. The majority of applicants seem to be late 20s with masters degrees, a second language and several years either abroad or in the public service. These guys would be taking a massive pay-cut to get the job. I intend to (attempt) transfer to foreign affairs after I finish my studies and hopefully on a management level.

I work in the interior ministry and maybe 20% of my coworkers did IR with a plurality doing law and policing related majors. There were some engineers and scientists amongst us too despite it not being relevant to the job (I myself am a STEM grad). Most people in IR end up in government jobs I think from what I hear from a friend who did it, but they're definitely seen as playing second fiddle compared to the law grads who seem to get hired in larger quantities.

Outside of the public service, IR majors tend to get graduate roles that aren't looking for a specific degree, its more similar to an arts major like PolSci in the job market. I don't know why you'd look outside the government though if you're interested in international politics.
>>
>>18246619
Thank you for your response, it has given me a lot to think about.

If you don't mind me asking, what would you say you enjoy the most and the least about working in the interior ministry?
>>
>>18246640
I'm an analyst so I write papers and assessments on policing and crime. The work is really interesting because of the subject matter and you get to work with local detectives, federal agents as well as liaison with foreign police services too. There's also the fact that you work for the public service so the benefits, work-life balance and pay bumps are really great. Way less stress compared to what my friends experience.

What I dislike the most about working here though is things are quite hierarchical here. There are literal ranks within the public service so its a bit more regimented and gives you less freedom than other workplaces. Some people like that though. You'll also never make as much money as working in the private sector if you're a genuinely skilled individual. The money's pretty good though, and I myself wouldn't be able to bear the boredom of working in finance or other services, it just doesn't interest me.
>>
"Is X a good major?"

Gettin' real tired of this question and the retards saying "no omg"

It depends on what you want to do. Any education is better than none.
>>
>>18246700
That's a good point, thank you.
>>
>>18246691
Thank you for your response, I'll look more into it. It sounds like a very interesting job.
>>
>>18246587
Are you interested in being a politician or working in politics? Because the path to either is very different
>>
>>18246747
Working in politics I would say, or maybe some business-and-management type of job.
>>
File: Italian paratrooper.jpg (204KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Italian paratrooper.jpg
204KB, 1536x2048px
>>18246752
I'd be looking into economics and law to be honest. Some unis let you combine degrees so you could leave in 5 years with a commerce/law double degree for example.

IR sounds alright but you gotta remember it's still just an arts degree. You gotta be very good to get somewhere after graduating and avoid the burger flipping. Don't think you're doomed though if you continue with it.
>>
>>18246761
Thank you for your advice. I'll see what I can do.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.