[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I have to know about (hypothetically) homeschooling my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2073.jpg (78KB, 704x704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2073.jpg
78KB, 704x704px
What do I have to know about (hypothetically) homeschooling my kids?

I just feel so failed by the education system. I don't want my kids to suffer like that.
>>
The best way to train kids is to teach them to teach themselves

Being reliant on other people to learn things isn't good
>>
Read:
How Children Learn
and
How Children Fail
by John Holt

Read:
The Secret of Childhood
by Maria Montessori

Check out homeschool group options in your area, because the social aspect is the only part that doesn't work instinctively before about age 12.

Good luck!
I intended to homeschool from the beginning, and we made it to age 6.
Turned out my very social kid wanted to be where all the other kids were: at school.
We found a really great little anarchist collective school, and sacrificed like mad to afford it, and it was worth it.
But: I have always let him know that homeschooling is an option if he'd rather.
>>
>>18246261
Whenever I hear about someone who wants to homeschool or online school their kids, I ask them which do they think is more important: academic learning or social learning? Because as someone who did both homeschooling and online school, kids who learn that way (especially those who never went to a traditional school at all) are VERY commonly weird, antisocial, and generally incapable of normal social interaction with people their own age.
>>
>>18247582
Adding:

Children are social creatures from day one, and instinctively so, but they are not able to *create* their own social structures early on, is what I intended.
That part will be up to you for those first 12 years or so.
>>
>>18247582
Jesus christ I hope this is a parody or a joke.
>>
>>18247593
Hey! I was homeschooled from grades 7-11, and I do agree with you.
I do like the idea of homeschooling for elementary, however... How do you feel about that?
>>
>>18247598
It's not.
What's your beef?
>>
Just cause the education system isn't perfect doesn't mean homeschooling is better, cause it's not. Kids need to grow up surrounded by different people and gain different experiences. School shouldn't be only for education, its also for human interactions.

I suggest you fill the gaps of your kids education at home while they go to school, this way you can fill in the blanks the education system misses out.
>>
>>18247612
It's not just about the lack of education, it's also the prison like structure of the system, where you have to ASK to go to the bathroom.
>>
>>18247600
>I do like the idea of homeschooling for elementary, however... How do you feel about that?
Honestly I think it would be MORE important to make sure they get a traditional school while they're younger, so they get used to interacting with other kids. I've known plenty of "well behaved" and "well adjusted" homeschooled kids who just didn't interact with you the right way. When two kids meet each other and are going to talk, you aren't expecting the other kid to treat you like an adult that they just don't have to listen to. That shit used to happen a lot at homeschool meetings and group field trips and stuff, and I pretty quickly realized, "Oh, this kid was just always around adults when he was young so he doesn't get how it works,"

And then you avoid them because they're weird.
>>
>>18247615
Such is life tho. You need to learn how to respect authorities and follow formalities. It's important to give kids structure and teach them that they cannot do whatever they want.
>>
That cow is so cute tho.
>>
>>18247645
families serve that function
>>
>>18247645
Not the anon you're talking to, but I disagree to a fairly large extent. At some point in my teens I realized that you really *don't* have to go along with whatever society tells you. I used to listen to a lot of my friends complain about their jobs, and I'd just wonder in my head (and occasionally out loud) "why not just fucking leave?"

Then you ask them that and it's like its not even an option. They'll always have a dozen excuses, and a couple of them may have been legit, but most aren't. Oh, you really need to keep your 9 to 5 job to pay off your college debt, and if you lose the job you won't be able to find another job in your field of study? So you went to college for something that didn't interest you because your parents and your school councilors told you to, you got a job you hate to pay off the debt from what schools said you should do, and you're still making less money than me, who never finished highschool, works 30 hours a week, and loves his work.

People just gotta realize that they can find something they love and just do it. Find a way to monetize it and market it. The system strangles potential.
>>
>>18247645
So they are treated like they are in prison?

In my son's elementary, kids just made a sign that they are going to the bathroom, and they just went to the bathroom (which was in the room).
Punishments weren't discussed or necessary: kids were just expected to behave, and they did. If they were unusually rowdy, the teacher would just take them outside to play on the field.
If we treat kids like they are little criminals from day one, they will act like criminals.
If we treat them like younger, more immature human beings, they will act like human beings.
>>
>>18247629
This is true... I have seen this with kids that attend school, though.
I think it is a function of adults giving kids too much say or whatever.
He's a kid. Don't act like his 5 minute argument about why he should have cookies for dinner has any credence. Don't debate him, and don't give him that platform.
>>
Don't homeschool, enroll them in a private school if you're worried about the public school system failing your kids.

They need social interaction when growing up.

Private schools are prefect for that reason
>>
>>18247702
>I think it is a function of adults giving kids too much say or whatever.
Really? Because to me that sounds totally unconnected. Being unable to interact effectively with other kids has anything to do with adult/child authority dynamics how?
>>
>>18247714
Because the child is taught by experience to approach interactions from an adult perspective.
Kid dynamics are very different and less verbal.
The precocious kid who has learned only or mostly from adult interaction is uncomfortable with childishness.
A kid who knows that adults are in charge because they know better is free to be a kid, to fuck up and be silly and emotional, and otherwise childish.
Therefore he will relate to other children because he himself is a child.
Shyness is of course another matter.
>>
>>18247667
No, it doesn't.
School is the first formal structure you ever experience. There are rules, roles, there is an authority you owe respect to just because they are an authority, and most importantly there's emotional detachment.
In school you learn how to interact with strangers and people who don't actually love you or care about you. It's a very different relationship compared to the one you have with your family.
It is important that kids learn that not everyone gives a shit about them personally.

>>18247691
I wasn't talking about that.
But you need to learn that not everyone in life is concerned about catering your own personal needs. And school is the first time you are around people who don't care about you personally.

>>18247691
Asking to go to the bathroom is not like being in prison. Don't be dramatic.
>>
>>18247732
>The precocious kid who has learned only or mostly from adult interaction is uncomfortable with childishness.
No, no, that was never the issue. It's not that these kids were uncomfortable or awkward, it's that they always acted like they were talking to an adult. They'd never fucking relax. Not even in the sense that they never acted immature, but even that they didn't act like an adult would with their friends, it's like they were always at a job interview. Mommy (and/or daddy) has always been around, so they've always gotta be on their best behavior, right?! RIGHT?! They're almost neurotically uptight and formal. Adults see it as being "polite and well adjusted", but other kids just see them as weird and disconcerting. You typically see it from kids with really strict, involved parents.
>>
>>18247734
>school is the first time that you are around people who don't care about you personally
First: this is why I prefer small schools, because people can become fond of each other, as is natural.
Next: I believe that a better time to become acclimated to an impersonal environment is around adolescence
Last:I also believe that children should be taught to respect ALL adults as authority. Period.
>>
>>18247691
>Punishments weren't discussed or necessary
>If they were unusually rowdy, the teacher would just take them outside to play on the field.
If I'd gone to that school I %100 guarantee you I'd have owned that place.

That system sounds like it would fall apart the second the kids realize how much control they have over the situation. "What's that? Math? How about fuck you, I"m going to go hang out by the trainbridge with the stoners!"
>>
File: 1475200480594.jpg (95KB, 728x636px) Image search: [Google]
1475200480594.jpg
95KB, 728x636px
>>18247753
>Last:I also believe that children should be taught to respect ALL adults as authority. Period.
Jesus christ anon, are you just Amish or something? Have you MET most adults? Genuinely hurt from laughing right now
>>
>>18247593
I learned little to nothing of social value until college.
And I blame school for it.
>>
>>18247772
You should blame yourself.
>>
>>18247753
>children should be taught to respect ALL adults as authority. Period.
I envy your optimism, but that sounds like a terrible plan to me. Isn't it better to teach them to think and reason for themselves than to have them blindly follow the authority of anyone who just happens to be older than them? Because age doesn't automatically equate to intelligence or wisdom.
>>
i used to get babysat by this christian family that did that with their kids and only let them in public school when they got to the high school level. their kids are basically retarded and the mom works for the school district. mind this is almost 10 years after the fact
>>
>>18247750
My kids wouldn't need to go to a school just to know the outside world and be socialized lmao
homeschool =/= house arrest
>>
>>18246261
Every single homeschooled kid I've ever talked with about it has had fucking WEIRD fetishes.

Something about not being around a lot of people your own age during puberty... I know your kid's sexual development probably isn't something you want to put a lot of thought into, but it's worth considering.
>>
>>18247800
>My kids wouldn't need to go to a school just to know the outside world and be socialized lmao
Yeah, yeah, I know, I've heard this story plenty of times, you'd get them involved with community events and charities, you'd get them into local extracurricular activities and church groups, you'll set up play dates with other homeschool families, etc.

It'll work out great for you, no other homeschooling parents have EVER tried that and ended up with social retards before!
>>
>>18247788
>Christian
They did it for religious purposes. I'm doing it for "man, as a scientist I wish I could be part of my own children's education instead of putting them in the prison-like system I had to suffer in."

Is that so wrong? Or do I need someone else to teach my kids to spell, read, and write?
>>
>>18247811
If they REALLY want to go to a school they can.
>>
>>18247753
So they become shitty teenagers with zero respect for authority because their needs was the most important thing till then.
It's important to slowly get in a more and more impersonal environment, so they learn how to be decent adults.
>>
>>18247813
>Is that so wrong? Or do I need someone else to teach my kids to spell, read, and write?
If you could teach them yourself and get them the same social context that kids got in normal schools, that would be ideal, yes, but the sad reality is that teaching your kids yourself often leads to less socially capable kids. It's normal and healthy for kids to blunder through their evolving social life and sex life with people their own age, and it takes a *lot* of practice for them to get it right. You can't do that for them.
>>
>>18247818
Really? How much would they have to beg? I mean how do you know if they REALLY want it? Because when I was doing online school, I heard from other kids SO GOD DAMN OFTEN that they wished they could go back to a regular school, and you'd so often hear from their vapid helicopter mom that their kids "Just LOVE going to this online school, they're doing so much better here and OF COURSE they could go back to regular school if they really wanted to but they don't REALLY want to, so it's fine right?"

Not saying that's inevitably what would happen, but you hear that shit so god damn much. Parents decide that because THEY like it, and because it's good for THEM, it must be good for their kids, right? Then when their kids bring it up that they'd like to go to a normal school, the parent says that sure, of course they can, but we really have to be SURE that's what you want, okay sweetie, so let's just wait it out for another year to see if you feel that way this summer, okay?

I was lucky enough to have parents willing to listen and let me make my own choices. A lot of kids aren't as lucky.
>>
>>18247821
Like at what point of development do they really need that?
Before, during, or after adolescence?
I would've killed to be homeschooled the way I'd like after elementary school.
I always had real interests in science, language, etc. but school just had nothing different to offer me.
>>
>>18247813
well for the sake of context. the patriarch of this family was a carpenter and thought it literally made him a better christian because jesus was too. im sure your situation is 1000x better
>>
>>18247832
I would get pretty tired of it lmola I just want my kids to be happy and have options, lad. If they can make school work for them, they're probably better than I was.
>>
>>18247750
Ok, couple things:
I do think that some of what you aee referring to is due to what I mentioned in my first post: premature intellectual development.
At the same time, social isolation from peers is certainly detrimental at any age, and would also be a factor.
I don't think that "school" has some magic power to sicialize that is not possible in other contexts, however.
When we were still homeschooling my boy, we had daily group events, usually with 5 or more kids of the same age, with snack & story & outdoor time, and with the understanding that all parents were to be authorities for all kids, & all kids were equal as far as activities & whatever.
This was a huge commitment for our family, and eventually we did find it simpler to send him to a school.
But my point is that is IS doable. Appropriate amounts of social interaction, with appropriate amounts of structure, can be created outside of a school, with enough intention and elbow grease from parents.
>>
>>18247833
I don't have any solid answer anon, sorry. I know kids NEED to be socialized when they're really young, so I'd say elementary is more important, but at the same time, it's also important to be around people your own age while you're in puberty.

I might say elementary and middle school should be done with other people, then during highschool when you really start getting serious with academia, that might be the time to take control of their education? Just be sure to keep them involved in clubs or programs at local schools so they keep interacting with people their own age.
>>
>>18247837
I just want my kids to learn for real.
There's too many grown adults coming out of high school who still don't really know how to spell, read, or write very well at all for me not to worry about what my kids really need regular school for.
>>
>>18247833
Can't you just learn that on your own, if you wish?
I went to school like everyone else, and then followed my own interests in my free time.
Took classes about subjects that interested me, followed online courses, went to extracurricular activities, went to classes at my local college, etc.
>>
>>18247820
If their needs are the most important thing, you've got a parenting issue right there that no amount of schooling will fix.
Parents need to make sure that their kid has plenty of time being "just one of the kids", and yes, this needs to be more of a focus if the kid is homeschooled.
>>
>>18247847
Then teach them if you feel like they have any difficulty. Follow them.
It's not like you leave your kids in public school when they're 6 and get them back when you're 18. They're with you most of the time, you can teach them things if you wish.
>>
I left public school for homeschooling in high school due to extreme anxiety. I really regret it. My social skills took a real hit.

If you do decide to do it, as other Anons have mentioned, you have to ensure they get some sort of actual socialization.

But really, private schooling would be best.
>>
>>18247851
It's kind of fucking hard when they shut you in from seven am until three and then you have homework to do that you sacrifice to pursue the shit you really like.
These were my experiences in school.
>>
>>18247843
>with appropriate amounts of structure
>Be structured and controlled at all times!
>That'll help keep them developing normally!

You know, thinking about what you said, I'm starting to wonder if the issue those kids had was that they never really realized that structured interaction and social interaction don't have to be the same thing. Those kids ALWAYS acted like they were being observed by a concerned parent. I wonder if that happened because they were just never allowed to develop a healthy sense of self, getting that us vs. them attitude you develop over time in school where you realize that the adults are trying to control you, but aren't your superior. Like, "Oh, the adults aren't looking, we can act like real human beings now! What, oh, shit, they're back, act like a prisoner!"

Those "well behaved" homeschooled kids ALWAYS acted like prisoners, and adults fucking loved it.
>>
>>18247860
You are really moving the goalposts here, anon.
Are you now saying that your issue with homeschooling is that the kids are so happy & well adjusted that they don't act out & get into trouble?
>>
>>18247853
Your kids needs are the most important thing on earth for you if you are a parent. That's not the case with parents.
Even with classmates - you learn to be around people you dislike, to bond with people who just happen to be there, etc. You never get that before because outside of school you don't really hang out with people you don't like.

Also - in a family you never actually fail, you're worthy and loved even if you fuck up. In school for the first time you have to deal with the possibility of failing and with the existence of tests. It is important to learn how to deal with that.
>>
>>18247872
I thibk the main question here is when, not if, anon.
I maintain that 12 is the appropriate age for the type of school that our society commonly runs right now.
>>
My cousin and his sister were both homeschooled. They are, in my eyes, completely non-functioning adults, who are afraid of social situations, and in their 30s, still look to their mom for guidance in all things. One still lives at home, the other lives in a bizarre church group-home that I can't even accurately describe.

I was bullied some in middle school after leaving private school, and I'll admit, for a little bit, I was jealous that I didn't get to stay at home where it was "safe" too. But I survived public school, got a solid education in the right school, and learned very important lessons about standing on my own two feet in social and work-esque situations.

The problem with play-dates and arranged activities as your children's social outlet is that it sets them up with an insular environment, and leaves them with the mindset that they're always going to be surrounded with like-minded people.

I strongly advise against home schooling.
>>
>>18247869
>You are really moving the goalposts here, anon.

There are no goalposts, this isn't a debate Socrates, calm down. I'm just telling you my thoughts on the topic based on what you said.

>your issue with homeschooling is that the kids are so happy & well adjusted that they don't act out & get into trouble?
No. If you want to understand it read it again but project a little less, maybe. I'm saying that the "well behaved" homeschooled kids tend to just have discipline beaten into their head so much that they lose the ability to relax and act like a normal human, so adults love how "polite and well adjusted" they are, but people their own age think they're weird and too formal, so they end up socially stunted.
>>
>>18246261
Sounds like a bad idea. I think of the shit that made me strong and capable later in life, and most of it happened in school.
>>
>>18247857
I don't know. I went to school 30 hours a week, was the best of my class consistently and still had time for hobbies and other things.
When I graduated high school I spoke 4 languages (two of which I learnt by myself), had college-level knowledge of math, chemistry and biology. I went to the theatre once a month, read 1-2 books a week, volunteered, worked out 4 times a week.
School isn't THAT time demanding, or at least mine wasn't till I was 17 or 18 and I had to take exams for university.
>>
>>18247875
The earlier, the better.
When you're 12 you already missed 6 years of normal social interaction and normal interaction with authorities.
>>
>>18247878
Ok.
I absolutely know what you mean, and I think that this is not merely a homeschooling problem, but a parenting problem.
I myself experienced this, and was in church schools before homeschooling. My home life was so fucked up that school really changed nothing.
So. Yes. If the family dynamic is fucked up, homeschooling makes it 1000x worse.
If that is your point, I agree.
But I do think that there are healthy, non-fucked up ways to homeschool that have positive results.
>>
>>18247897
Kids need to be around kids to learn how to act like kids. If they spend most of their time around you, they don't learn how to be kids, they don't learn how to fit.
There's no way out of this. Even if you spend a couple of hours a day around other kids (which is more than most home schooled kids do), that's 5 hours less than what a regular kid does.
>>
>>18247897
Yeah, for sure.

One problem.

Do you know what the Dunning Krueger effect is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

TL;DR is that most people think they're better than most other people at most things. IE, "I know many people crash while driving at night, but I'll be fine, I'm a more careful driver than most people."

Yeah. It's possible to do homeschooling right, and good a good turnout. But it's also possible and much more common to fuck it up and have a socially stunted kid. You wanna take that gamble with a kid's life?
>>
>>18247691
>So they are treated like they are in prison?
No, the US education, at least, is based off the Prussian system, whose purposes were to drum out independent thinking, instill conformity, and prepare for military service.
>>
>>18247911
Et voila
>>
>>18247691
>So they are treated like they are in prison?
Actually having been to both US prisons and US schools, I genuinely unironically think prisons are a better environment for learning and growth than schools.

Prisons encourage self reliance, deft interaction with your peers, respect, and following social codes without rendering yourself vulnerable with excessive conformity. There's opportunity to learn and improve yourself, and there's incentive to do so as lazy, useless people are ostracized and looked down on. While I was in prison I learned a new language, got into much better shape, became a much better artist and writer, and even took some classes. Now getting OUT of prison is something else entirely, but while you're actually there? Prison takes the cake, no contest.
>>
>>18247908
I'm more referring to adults who I know who were homeschooled.
My kid is now 14 and doing quite well in a public school.
I maintain that if he wanted to homeschool, I would make it work.
>>
>>18247905
>a regular kid
By what metric?
Public schooling is relatively new as far as human history goes.
Also, you are making the odd assumption that there are no siblings, neighbors, cousins, friends...
>>
>>18247934
>Public schooling is relatively new as far as human history goes.
This is stupid and you should feel stupid for saying it.

90% of the things that make up our lives in the modern world are relatively new as far as human history goes.
>>
>>18247939
The point being that if you are asserting that socialization and education is essential for a young developing human (as I do), then there are many, many different ways of fulfilling that need.
School being a relatively new development, we can look to many different historical and cultural approaches to this basic societal function.
>>
>>18247954
I'm not the anon you were talking to, just pointing out that "it hasn't been here long" is a really dumb criticism in the modern age.
>>
>>18246261
Yeah, do it, the world needs more social retards to work as mid-level business managers.
>>
>>18247968
Not in response to the term "regular kid".

To me, to say that "a regular kid" sleeps, eats and poops, needs regular naptimes and plenty of outdoor exploring time and lots of stories is relevant.
To say that "a regular kid" likes pokemon or prefers junk food is culturally specific, and not relevant to this conversation about what children need for proper societal development.
>>
>>18247988
Still focused on your argument.

And I still don't care about it.

Dude, I make no judgement on the value of your argument about kids, haven't even read it, I was literally just pointing out how stupid it is to judge something based on the idea that it's new in a historical context.
>>
>>18247934
You have a different relationship with family members and with people who aren't relatives. They don't exactly count.

Friends and classmates are a different thing.
First, you don't see your friends daily and for multiple hours a day - you do with classmates.
Second, you don't HAVE to see your friends and you hang out just with the friends you like - you don't get that with classmates. It's the first time you have to hang out with people you might dislike because you happen to share the same space for many hours a day. You have to do that for the rest of your life and you better learn how to do it early.
>>
>>18248005
Dude, I'm literally answering you that in the context of a discussion about societal norms, history and culture are HUGELY important.
>>
Homeschool is child abuse
>>
>>18248015
Not really.
>>
>>18248010
I notice that you didn't mention neighbors.
Also I hate your horrid "conditioning to unhappy work environment" approach to education. Yuck.
>>
>>18248063
>I hate that you want to prepare people for something they're almost certain to have to face at some point during their lifetime. Yuck.
>>
>>18248074
That's a very defeatist approach to life.
Have you never heard of arts or sciences? Or sports or trades?
>>
>>18248063
You're not obligated to hang out with your neighbours. You can choose whether you stay around them or not.

It's not just about "unhappy work environment" - but everyone in life has to be around people they don't really love at some point. It's a part of life. It's important to learn how to do it.
School is the first time you get ready for real life. That's the whole point of doing it.
You're not the most important, you're not the boss, you're around people who don't give a shit about you and you don't even like. Such is life.
>>
>>18248079
And those are different because?
>>
>>18248079
It's a realistic approach to life. And yeah, I make my living by employing a mix of art and design science that I really love doing.

BUT.

It took me a long time to get there. It takes work, it takes effort, and if someone just hands you the happiness you don't appreciate it the same way. I make about $100k a year at 27, and my business is only growing, so who knows how much more I could be making when I'm in my 40's and my kids are leaving home. I'll probably be rich enough to pay their way to whatever lifestyle they want.

But I won't.

Why? Because it's not worth anything if you don't earn it. I was able to do what I've done with my life BECAUSE of the shitty times, because I learned from them and became stronger. You can't do that if you're coddled your entire life. It's a parents job to equip their child to live their life, not to live their life for them. That means making sure they're mentally and emotionally prepared to face the hard times when they come.
>>
>>18248079
Also, this is a good point >>18248101 , I'm wealthy, I love my job, I work in an ideal field, but I still have to work with some assholes. I still have to go to some meetings, still have to do shit I don't want to do. A hell of a lot less often than an office worker, but it still happens.
>>
>>18247753
>First: this is why I prefer small schools, because people can become fond of each other, as is natural.
Unless they, don't. Then you get singled out and bullied. This also happens in large groups though.
>Last:I also believe that children should be taught to respect ALL adults as authority. Period.
Not all adults should be seen as trustworthy. There are some people with very ill intentions in mind.
>>
>>18247884
>I don't know. I went to school 30 hours a week, was the best of my class consistently and still had time for hobbies and other things.
When I graduated high school I spoke 4 languages (two of which I learnt by myself), had college-level knowledge of math, chemistry and biology. I went to the theatre once a month, read 1-2 books a week, volunteered, worked out 4 times a week.
School isn't THAT time demanding, or at least mine wasn't till I was 17 or 18 and I had to take exams for university.
Fuck you and your model Ivy League student life.
>>
>>18248241
I mean... I can't speak for him, but I went to school in south central Minneapolis, which is like half a step above fucking Detroit, but I still did very well in school, had my own interests, etc. I'm not sure it's an economic thing so much as it is a drive thing.
>>
>>18248241
I was just super driven, competitive and autistic about my interests. Still am.

If it makes you happy, I had a kidney failure and had to drop out of college, I got depression because I couldn't deal with being sick and wasted 2 years of my life. Got back in college this year.
>>
>>18247927
>Actually having been to both US prisons and US schools, I genuinely unironically think prisons are a better environment for learning and growth than schools.
>Prisons encourage self reliance, deft interaction with your peers, respect, and following social codes without rendering yourself vulnerable with excessive conformity. There's opportunity to learn and improve yourself, and there's incentive to do so as lazy, useless people are ostracized and looked down on. While I was in prison I learned a new language, got into much better shape, became a much better artist and writer, and even took some classes. Now getting OUT of prison is something else entirely, but while you're actually there? Prison takes the cake, no contest.
You must've been in a minimum security prison. What were you in for?

>>18248108
>I was able to do what I've done with my life BECAUSE of the shitty times, because I learned from them and became stronger. You can't do that if you're coddled your entire life. It's a parents job to equip their child to live their life, not to live their life for them. That means making sure they're mentally and emotionally prepared to face the hard times when they come.
I can tell you, that is patently false. You're an exception, not the rule. The shitty times fucked me up so much mentally and emotionally, it will take a lifetime to fix…and I wasn't coddled.

Love these Spartan mindsets on 4chan.
>>
>>18248262
>autistic
I don't think you know what that word means.
>>
>>18248274
It clearly depends on the shitty times.
No parent can prepare you for handling something like being physically or sexually abused, or seeing/living something extremely traumatic, a terminal illness, or the death of a children.
But it's your parent's job to teach you how to handle failure, stress, shitty people, shitty times.

He says something very right - parents have to make sure you can handle bad times. If they coddle you, make you feel like you're perfect and never wrong, protect you from every bad thing and every bad person, you will never grow and won't learn to be a normal, functioning person.
>>
>>18248285
... do I have to put a little asterisk next to things I say ironically/sarcastically?
I was clearly using it ironically like most people use it on fucking 4chan.
Like, I don't think any normal person could possibly be happy about me having a kidney failure, I said that sarcastically.
>>
>>18248297
When you have a family member that has autism, only then will you understand.
>>
>>18248308
Shrug.

My dad had cancer and I still don't get triggered when people use the word "cancer" as an insult - I call my dad cancer sometimes. My best friend shot himself and I still say "I'd shoot myself right now" when I'm bored or frustrated.
It's just an expression.
>>
>>18248144
There is a point at which one teaches a child about untrustworthiness, but a child should not be raised in fear.
It is the responsibility of the parent to surround a child with a trustworthy community, and little by little to allow them to enter the wider community with more untrustworthy people.
>>
>>18248308
Do you have the autism and can't understand hyperbole?
>>
>>18246261
School is a meme. The modern school system is derived from the Prussian system developed in the early 19th century, of which philosopher Johann Gottlieb Fichte, who was influential in its early evolution, had the following to say:
>"Education should aim at destroying free will so that after pupils are thus schooled they will be incapable throughout the rest of their lives of thinking or acting otherwise than as their school masters would have wished..."
>"When the technique has been perfected, every government that has been in charge of education for more than one generation will be able to control its subjects securely without the need of armies or policemen."
It's a demonstration of the strength of early childhood indoctrination through compulsory schooling that most people who grew up with it literally cannot comprehend a world in which it didn't exist. Meanwhile, schools of the nature of the K-12 system practically didn't exist throughout the vast majority of recorded human history, including the various golden ages of philosophical and scientific thought.

The fact of the matter is that the most important factor for proper childhood development is unstructured free play with only the most cursory of adult supervision. This is something that many homeschooled children miss out on, but increasingly many children in public schools are as well, as recesses become shorter and shorter and ever more strictly supervised.

The solution is to not school your children, whether at home or in public. Instead, give them the tools to educate themselves. The internet is by far the most powerful. When your child asks you what a word means, pull out your phone and show him or her how to look it up. Likewise, there's a YouTube video explaining how to do practically anything. And above all, give them the ability to play with other children without adult interference. Sports are good but not the same, and can never fill the role of play in early childhood development
>>
>>18248394
You don't know what education is or does.
>>
>>18248406
Enlighten me, then. You don't get to make a statement like that with no follow up.
>>
>>18248394
>kids will figure it out because in the past they had to tend farms and didn't have any time for that fancy book learnin'!
>just hand them an iPhone and they'll be geniuses driven to learn, they definitely won't spend the whole time exploring click bait children's song videos on YouTube!
>>
>>18248413
>Muh strawmen
19th century public education is not the reason we're more advanced than the ancient Greeks and Romans. Two thousand years of scientific and philosophical thought building on the groundwork those Greeks and Romans laid is.

You'll also notice that I never advocated throwing toys at your children and leaving them to figure it out. Instead, I said that you should guide them in the proper way to use important learning tools that they will continue to use for the rest of their lives. If you give your kid an iPhone on his third birthday and he starts playing Flappy Bird nonstop for the next three days, that's on you.
>>
>>18248435
Why do you think that we got amazing advancement over the last century?
Public education is the reason why we improved so much as a society.
You cannot discover the cure for cancer if you haven't been told what cells are. You can't just "figure it out".
>>
>>18248439
I also never argued against scientific research or voluntary secondary education. Nice try, though.
>>
>>18248319
Those are all expressions used in a similar context to their axial meaning. When people use "autism" and its derivatives, the context 4chan users use it in varies from:
*Retarded
*Inept (typically in a social context)
*Stupid
*Weird
*Quirky
*Introverted
*Shy
The list goes, on and on
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.