[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is college worth it? Even for a STEM degree?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Mika-Vainio-9.jpg (18KB, 300x209px) Image search: [Google]
Mika-Vainio-9.jpg
18KB, 300x209px
is college worth it?
Even for a STEM degree?
>>
>>18244900
You need that shiny degree to prove you're hireable anon
>>
>>18245045
This. Other than that, not really.
>>
>>18244900
That depends on a lot of things you dumbfuck. I don't think college is for you if this is the level of thought you produce.
>>
>>18244900

I think there's a lot of meme-slinging on both sides of this argument but I agree with both camps to a certain extent.

The university system is pretty much broken at this point and only appears to be functional through a veneer of a massive debt bubble on basically every young person (that is, if you're USA like me). All the govt assistance, loans through the state, and social justice wings that probably shouldn't exist have ballooned the price to ridiculous levels. That's a part of our culture that all but forces virtually every high school grad to enroll which, like our currency, devalues it to near worthlessness. So now we're point where basically the bar at any decent job outside of trades is set at a 4 year degree.

Is this kinda fucked up? Yeah. Is uni useless? My answer is it shouldn't be if you're savvy, no matter your degree. If you just go in, pass the classes, get your paper and leave, yeah you got the minimum out of it you could. Even still you should be learning information that is at least useful to you. You should be getting in clubs, networking, making friends with students and faculty in your field. If you go through school and leave feeling it was useless, you probably didn't utilize the time there as best you could.
>>
>>18244900
>is college worth it?
No. It's corrupt.

>Even for a STEM degree?
You can argue, that if you have the right resources (grades, money) you can get into the right school (if you choose right and are lucky) and know what major to pursue you can learn something of practical value... But that's not realistic for most people. Most people end up with student loans, and no practical skills.

You are much better off having experience in the real world, in whatever field you are trying to pursue, i.e. a job, some website/blog, experience contributing to free and open source, etc... Something like that.

College is babysitting for young adults after high school, really. It's more about taking money from parents than it is about educating. It wasn't always that way, but it is now.
>>
>>18245045
>>18245050
Degree alone doesn't prove you're employable though. You need to at least work a part time job while studying, even if it's not related to your degree
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.