[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can a relationship ever work out if we have different political views?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3048.jpg (68KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3048.jpg
68KB, 640x640px
can a relationship ever work out if we have different political views?
>>
>>18244038
Yes. Why not?
>>
>>18244048
because it is a sign of different values?
>>
>>18244052
Unless they directly impact your relationship, there's really no issue.
You can have different opinions on things and coexist perfectly fine.
>>
How different?
>>
>>18244038
Relationship is mostly dictatorship.

Almost always one assumes dominant role and the other loves tirant so much he/she will do anything to please him/her.

And who takes politics into their home and seriously? Also you vote like once per ~year and the voting is secret. So your family cal call how they hate trump 24/7 and then they secretly vote for him.

You have to talk with your partner to confirm you share the practical views on inportant matters like
>marriage
>number of kids
>who and how will work.
The opinion about niggers welfare and public healthcare are worthless unless you are the politician in charge.

Relationship is based on TRUST and RESPECT. Not some jewish propaganda.
>>
>>18244058
doesn't values always impact your actions and thus indirectly your relationships?

>>18244060
we live in europe and we often have discussions about refugees. he thinks i just don't know my facts but the facts he provides never truly impact my opinion, even if i actually didn't know them (which happens rarely). basically, he thinks that they should just controle them better to prevent issues whilst i think that none should be left in since they all have extremely different world views and values to us, which will always lead to troubles, even if the refugee in question is actually a "good citizen". which is rare enough...

>>18244065
well, i don't want a dictatorship when i'm having a relationship. this isn't about me wanting to escape political discussions. i actually enjoy them. it just makes me think if we are actually compatible if we obviousy have such different base values.
>>
>>18244103
>doesn't values always impact your actions and thus indirectly your relationships?
Depends on the subject. My opinion on immigration don't really matter when it comes to me and my boyfriend. My opinion on electoral system doesn't really impact my relationship.
>>
>>18244038
It doesn't matter as long as you have no political views.

For me it's impossible anyways
>>
>>18244110
ofc it does. the fact i think i don't want any refugees in is based on my core believe that i have the right to defend my self agains disturbances. whoch is proped upon the fact that i value my own and my families peace higher than political correctnes and empathy. his political view is based on the core believe that you should help those in need, even if that means you have to sacrifce your own peace. which is base on the idea that he values helping strangers higher than protecting hamis and his families peace. i really don't know how you can argue that such differences have zero impact on a relationship.
>>
>>18244113
you can't have no political views... unless you are a vegetable.
>>
>>18244133
They simply don't. How do this huge difference impact your relationship in practice? Tell me one practical instance where your different opinions on immigration policies affect your relationship.
Let him do him and you do you. Respect each other and let each other do whatever you think is more appropriate and best for yourselves and your country.
>>
>>18244143
You can have the average TV channel political view, it's the same as no having political view.
>>
>>18244103
A GIRL who doesn't want refugees? IS SUCH A THING EVEN POSSIBLE? I'd rather believe in aliens.
Marry me if you exist? (You clearly do not, though)
>>
>>18244179
Lol. There are plenty of right wing girls.
>>
>>18244038

Its true that differing political views often indicate much different values, and its hard to feel a sense of compatibility with a person who doesn't share your values at all.

But another overlooked thing is often that people with very similar values hold extremely different political values. I actually hate political discussions because almost always the real disagreement is about a differing ethical value, or a misunderstanding about a shared ethical value. People are really keen to talk about politics, since its more substantive discussion than other small talk and is pretty easy to talk about in a social group that you are even mildly comfortable within. But it is often a divisive or pointless discussion, as no one can understand each other in the argument, or everyone already agrees and is just circle jerking.

I think if you are mindful of these facts as you come to know a person whom you are interested in getting close to, you will come to a shared understanding along with whatever kind of intimacy you desire. After all, if you really doubt that two people with differing political values can come to a mutual understanding and love of one another... is there any hope for our society?
>>
>>18244160
the refugee question is literally not the problem. it is a symptom of the problem. the issue is the different base values. and yes, that is a problem. how can we raise kids as an unity if we disagree on such fundamental things like "everything is tolerable when it serves the purpose of guaranteeing the safety of your offspring" vs "empathy towards strangers in need is of higher importance than the future of my own kids".

>>18244161
a stupid view is also a view

>>18244186
i agree with you that i think it often boils down to similar values that led to different conclusions. but in this particular situation, i fail to see the shared value. i talked to him about exactly what you just said and i tried to explain to him that i can't comprehend why he puts helping strangers over his own/his childrens security and future. this just seems dishonest. a being that puts the benefit of others above it's own survival is doomed to go extinct. how can you KNOWINGLY entertain a value that will inevitably lead to your own extinction? that seems suicidal. it might get him brownie points for being a "good boy" and selflessness is generally very highly regarded (absolutely undeserved imo). that's why i think he's not being honest with himself. he likes feeling oh so generous and selfless when in fact he's just biting the hand that feeds him.
and that is exactly the point where i feel like it has an impact on our relationship beyond political discussions. he actually has that value and practices it. which might be cute at some instances, but he always puts others first and generates issues for hinself that way. i can see him do the same with our family and i don't want that. i want him to value the wellbeing of our family as highly as i do and not switch it for the comfort of social applaud.
>>
>>18244278
I doubt that that's his value. I think he feels that it's important to treat others in the same way you wish you were treated if you were in their position. I think he believes that immigration can add value to a country, and that he doesn't perceive it as a risk.
You disagree, which is fair, but this still doesn't allow you to treat him like he's an idiot.

Kids need to be loved and catered for. I don't think your views impact this in any way.
Kids need to be taught to be empathetic, to take care of others, to be self sufficient and to stand up for themselves. You can learn from each other in these regards and you can teach your kids accordingly. Use it as a way to grow and a way to learn to be a better person, and to teach your kids about the right equilibrium between selfishness and selflessness.
>>
>>18244332
you're probably right. i know that none of us is "right or wrong". i don't think that concept exists. especially not in terms of values. i also think we could balance each other out.
i might just be too immature to actually be able to let someone i care about have a different oppinion.
i mean, he's watching an animal docu atm and some baby bugs migrate to a new mom when they see that that mom has more food. then she has a huge problem because she suddenly has way too much baby bugs to feed, so they migrate to the next bug mom and so on. which is a pretty accurate metaphor for what's happening in europe... anyways, he was really shocked that they could be so heartles as to leave their biological mom for with more food. my cment was "yeah, but they secure the survival of the specie that way. they would go extinct if all the baby bugs stayed with their own mom who is unable to provide enough food. that's how species survive... selfishnes." to which he replied "well, i'd rather die than be so selfish".

exactly my point itt. problem is, i don't want to die. he can do that on his own if he wants it so badly.
>>
>>18244038
Yes.

We used to live by never talk about religion or politics.

Because its all insanely subjective ambiguous and relies on your unique world view. Two people can be right on the same thing even if their views compete. But mostly, no one knows what the fuck theyre talking about and everyones full of shit as soon as they start forming hard opinions without any actual hard formal education in the matter or real experience in politics. Left or right. Doesnt matter.

Political alignment does not have a casual correlation with intelligence or education or how correct you are. Its more your place of birth upbringing and your friend circles.

>but educated people tend to be left winged.

Because universities are hives of liberal thinking. People entering are influenced by their friends and surroundings. Not their education. (also im university educated in political science and left wingedso no im not making some righty excuse why "smarter people" are left)

The problem with recent political issues is people stopped realising that people are just people and someone on the opposite political spectrum could very well be your best friend in the world as long as you avoided talking about your opinions on politics.

So yes you can date. As long as you just realise neither of you know fuck all and dont talk about it and keep on each others individuality and how you work together.
>>
>>18244365
Holy shit.

Kay im left n all and i just ranted about how no ones right but..

Thats too left to the point of faggy.
>>
>>18244365
He is humanising animals. It's actually a very common thing.
I wouldn't leave my mother for richer one even if I was given the chance, because I love my mom. You wouldn't too, hopefully.
>>
>>18244038
depends on the value you give it
>>
>>18244038
Maria Shriver of the Kennedy clan was married to Arnold Schwarzenegger for decades and it wasn't until he started banging the housekeeper that they broke up.
>>
>>18244038
I think it propabably depends on how much you both actually care about politics...the more one or both of you care the more likely it won't end well
>>
Depends on your commitment.

I value my beliefs far more than any possessions or relationships and I wouldn't date anyone who isn't absolutely committed to radical humanism and virtue signaling.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.