[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apparently, I'm Stupid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1405395421501s.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1405395421501s.jpg
2KB, 125x93px
So I've been aware for a long time I don't seem like the brightest person, from the way I speak, to how I present myself. But as of a few weeks ago I started trying to make my self seem more intelligent. The main reason is because it was revealed to me that my entire friend group thinks I'm a dumb ass. I began to think about what I was going to say ten times over to not throw out a big word that doesn't fit with what I'm saying, and my grammar has become impeccable. However in a group chat yesterday, even after all I've done to fix this image I was again called, "The dumbest one here". Out of curiosity I asked them why they think that, I was pretty pissed so I just said fuck it and asked. One of them said,"You don't seem like you know common knowledge very well." Everyone agreed with him and so I responded by asking what constitutes "Common Knowledge". I asked if they were talking about political knowledge, historical knowledge, and even down to just general day to day news, I got no straight answer. Apparently what constitutes common knowledge is common knowledge. I am so confused at this point and infuriated at my friends because apparently they think I'm just stupid, with no real basis in calling me that. What should I do? I can debate any of them when it comes to any of the above topics I listed plus, and I'm one of only 3 in the group of 15+ people that goes to a fucking university. Tell me what I should do, or just give me any advice on how to try and correct my image.

On a side note I know they aren't just trolling me or fucking with me, none of them know I am actually really pissed off about this.
>>
Maybe they weren't talking about easily measureable knowledge like mathematical, political or whatever. Maybe they couldn't tell you what they meant because they meant something more foggy like social intelligence.
>>
Your friends sound like complete faggots

You don't sound stupid. Next time someone tells you you're stupid or insinuates it, promptly tell them to go fuck themselves.
>>
I don't get it, how exactly are you stupid since I don't think that's the case since you can continuously speak with people somehow. Could you give us a pastebin of your random conversations even if it's just from the internet? This shouldn't be too hard, we can spot your problem in an hour or two.

I hope your conversational topics has none of those political, historical knowledge, trivia, news and other pretentious crap though.
>>
Do you spout/repeat things you never really gave any thought to & get looks like you grew two heads? Then they explain it in a way that makes your mistake seem very obvious?
That's why.
It isn't grammar/smurt wurds, it's brain-fart logical errors like thinking fish have eyes, you have eyes, you are a fish.
>>
>>18243814
This could be, I really never thought people considered social competency equal to all other forms of intelligence, but now that I think about it, I wouldn't put it past them to think that.
>>18243821
I agree they are faggots, but they are the only people I managed to get into a social circle with.
>>18243825
I was originally going to do this in the OP, but I'm not really comfortable with posting that kind of stuff here yet, I'd be willing to green text it though if that'd be okay.
>>18243833
Sometimes, but it's extremely rare whenever I tend to just vomit up random thoughts that have no relevance or logic behind them. I feel like most people tend to have those moments.
>>
>>18243873
they probably don't do it consciously. that's why they couldn't put their finger on it when you asked why they think you're stupid. they don't know why they think that, they just know they do. now, the question is, could it be that your social intelligence was what they meant? do you feel like you aren't very quick to get hints, lack self awareness, empathy or general social skills? are you one of those guys that would make "she's asked me to watch a movie at her place and is always bantering with me/touching me, could it be she wants to be friends?" thread?
maybe they think you are stupid because you react different to situations than they would expect you.
>>
>>18243803
You seem like a cool dude, I'd party.
Fuck "intelligence" man.
>>
>>18243906

>"she's asked me to watch a movie at her place and is always bantering with me/touching me, could it be she wants to be friends?"

you're dumb, there are a LOT of women like this
>>
>>18243930
sure. if you miss all the signs and thus fail to make a move or if you hang out with idiotic sluts. both signs that the guy speaking is atleast also an idiot.
>>
>>18243906
OP here, I've learned over the years to listen to what other people you respect say about you, because you can't see and analyze yourself from the outside. I've been called a very caring and empathetic person by more than just one person on more than just one occasion. I do see that I might not be as quick witted as my friends are, but I have been told by a few I am reliable and more personal than the others. I know all that makes me sound kind of like a bitch, but I'll take it, rather be empathetic and emotion than to be a douche.
>>
>>18243936

What are you implying? You can't be friends with someone if you don't like each other to some degree but you always start at the bottom and there's nothing wrong if you just stay there and don't go further than that.

There's more to life than just sex anon why do you fail to realize this simple fact? Does your definition of fun or happiness has to include penises and vaginas in it every single time?
>>
Need something concrete here , give us an exemple. It sounds to me like social intelligence, i too have à tendency to say things that pop-up in my mind with (seemingly) liltle link with the conversation at hand. Its great for awkward silences.
>>
>>18243803

I wouldn't put much weight into the opinion of others. My family acted the same way towards me. They equated my inquisitive behavoir to naivete and often joked at my expense. I was constantly learning more to try to compensate for being "the dumb one"

For years I let it bother me until i realized how many others thought differently. My psychology class had an activity where a student would be asked to leave the room and the rest of the class would give their opinion on supposed character traits/behavoir from their own perceptions.

Many of my peers chose to say I seemed very intelligent and in that moment i realized that it doesn't matter at all what anyone thinks.
Opinions are just opinions.
If your friends are judging you in a condescending way that makes you feel bad, try to reach out and make more friends.
>>
>>18243873

>greentext

Alright we don't need your shitty conversation greentexts. You're too shy to show a mere internet conversation huh but can you at least just greentext about your friends' answers from "I got no straight answer" instead?
>>
>>18243803
>125x93
>A picture for Ants

Wow, that's a very obvious display of lack of common knowledge.

What an idiot.
>>
>>18243941
False dichotomy.
>>
>>18243803

I think probably one of the most useful purposes of a friendship is that your friends can offer useful criticism on your life, and so you can learn from example from them. So if your friends call you a retard, thats not very useful. A good friend might call you a retard and then explain why they called you that. A better friend would probably just offer advice without throwing insults around casually. You acted perfectly reasonably, confronting a criticism honestly so as to learn from it. It seems like they are full of shit though going by what you said, so disregard it. As far as we know with the information given, you aren't dumb, and you're friends are just wrong.

You should always try your best to control your emotions, especially when you listen to others. It seems like insults to your intelligence are a sore spot for you, so when people insult you like that, try and take a breathe before responding. Remind yourself you aren't actually 'stupid'. Admirably, you are pretty rational about it and considering the evidence and arguments, and no one has actually demonstrated convincingly you are 'stupid' (whatever that means). Even though you know it isn't true in your rational mind, its easy to feel bad about something everyone is constantly repeating to you. But try and let that emotive response go. What are they actually saying, and what do they mean? Is it a real criticism that you could learn from? Ask for more information in that case, maybe you actually will learn about a way to improve yourself.

Try not to be down on yourself man, in my experience, 99% of the time when people are talking shit and insulting people, they really just have nothing to say but want to look big. You should always give people the benefit of the doubt, but I think you'll find that the people insulting you like this don't really have much to say and are just wasting your time.
>>
>>18244149

What is?
>>
>>18244339
Thst if you're not ""nice"", you're a douche.
>>
I know people that spend all their time infront of the computer that are reasonably "smart" but live under a rock. The kind of people that don't know to leader of the political opposition, cannot name 3 sport athletes, know nothing about music and just don't follow the news. This doesn't make them bad people, but you'll encounter these absolutely huge knowledge gaps in conversation that everyone else in the room consider obvious.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.