[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

friendship advice - stupid friend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Hey /adv/, I've run into a bit of a friendship problem and I could use some help, so please bear with me. Here's my story:

>be me, 23yo male, uni student, vidya playing and pot smoking introvert
>have a streak of 2 bad years when I was 18, first gf ever cheated, best friend pulled some crazy shit, other friends left abroad
>become shut in and depressed
>meet dude in question, start hanging out every now and then to smoke pot and play vidya
>pretty much exactly what I wanted at that time, a dude that could get me weed and misc substances, hang out etc
>go for 2-3 years hanging mostly with this dude, doing nothing productive with myself
>meet up every week at my place (I live alone) to smoke pot and play vidya
>help him out with his bitch of a gf, he ends up breaking up
>seeing how I was in the gutter, I try to help him thinking that he would in turn help me
>push him to start new hobbies, he takes up painting (still does, after like 2 years)
>I remain depressed
>start having this off feeling about this guy, and how whenever I try to do something good he finds a way to shit on it, didn't give it much thought at the time though
>he does a lot of dumb and annoying stuff and gives me the desire to hit him multiple times, I could provide ample examples if required
>Last summer I decide to finally get out of this haze and start improving myself
>start doing better at uni, going to classes, met some new people
>this dude remains unchanged, starts bringing drugs to do more often
>2 months ago I start getting extremely tired of him, I start realizing he likes to create a fight out of everything. We end up almost fighting because of the dumbest shit (literally for computer parts)
>I become fed up with his shit, he seems to be enjoying it
>I take a big step and quit smoking 2+ weeks ago
>family and other friends are super supportive, I make it through the first week no problem
(1/3?)
>>
>>18238893

>meet up with this dude, tell him the news, ask him for ideas regarding how can I go about smoking spliffs now that I want to stay away from tobacco (just something to spark up a conversation)
>dude goes into a tirade on how I quit smoking too abruptly, how he knows a friend that did the same and failed, how I'd need money to buy a vaper to quit smoking and keep puffing weed, and how I would probably fail after all like I did on my last attempt (but he throws in a "I hope you make it anyways"). Quite interestingly, just now I realized that 1 month into my last attempt to quit smoking, he ""forgot"" a pack of cigs at my place, and I ended up smoking them (not that I wanna blame him, it was my failure)
>I am two steps away from straight up punching him for the dumb shit he was saying, I end up changing subject for the good of my nerves (I was 1 week into withdrawal too)
>After we split up I start browsing, I end up coming across this article
http://danwaldschmidt.com/2010/07/attitude/edgy-conversations-stupid-people-how-to-deal-with-them
>Freak out - not sure if confirmation bias, but I felt and I still feel it describes him to a t
(2/3)
>>
>>18238896

So, what do I do now /adv/? On one hand, this dude has been acceptable company these 3 years, and we've had some good moments doing shit together. On the other hand, he has become severely unbearable these past months, and I don't think I can stand him much longer. I was hoping that I could follow the advice of the article, start ignoring his shit and continue hanging out with him every now and then, but even now that I haven't seen him for almost 2 weeks whenever he comes up I feel the urgent desire to beat him senseless for being that annoying and not supporting me when I needed it. We almost always meet up at my place but I can't stand the thought of him sleeping in my house right now, it makes me severely mad. He is currently sending me messages to meet up because he is back in town and I have to stop myself from picking up the phone and going off on his ass. The article says that I shouldn't actually indulge and fight, and I tend to agree, seeing how whenever I did do it he seemed to be enjoying it more instead of wising up. It's literally the first time too that I want to straight up confront someone that annoys me but the article and my intuition indicate that it wouldn't help at all. What do? Also, I pick up my pot from his brother, but that's much less important. I'd just prefer it if, however I handled this, he didn't tell his brother to stop hooking me up. Then again, mind health > weed so idc.

Thanks in advance to anyone that bothers to read and reply.
(3/3)
>>
>>18238898
*mental health, I'm a retard sometimes
also bump
>>
>>18238898
Cut ties, guy's a user.

Maybe you were both in a mutually using relationship there for awhile but if he's not going to grow with you, and is actually looking to drag you back, just cut contact. You don't even need to be hissy about it, though the guy might appreciate some elaboration of where he fucked up. Later.
>>
>>18239522
Thanks a lot for the response mate!

So, straight up cut all communications with him? Could you elaborate a bit on the "user" part?

I'm feeling that this is pretty much the answer; I was hoping for a different way to resolve this, but I still get mad and feel hopeless whenever I think of the subject. Should I just ignore him unless he shows up face to face or something? I don't have a problem with calling and even shitting on him right now but as I said, I don't think there's something to be gained by this. I don't want, however, in any way for him to think that I'm hiding or something.
I've done plenty of bridge burning in the past, I just was never sure if I was doing it the right way.
Thanks again for your time dude!
>>
weed is the absolute plebiest shit of all time
I would even understand doing crack
but weed is just the faggiest shit
now look at you with this fag problem
fag
>>
As a former asshole who has been cut out of people's lives, it's the best favor you could do him. People like that only learn from consequences.
>>
>>18241491
good point, time to take up crack
In any case, weed has hardly got anything to do with my specific problem, aside from what I mentioned in the last 2 sentences of my op.

>>18241520
Thanks for chipping in mate. Do you think that he will get it if I just stop talking to him though? He's been messaging to meet up and I feel like he's oblivious to how mad his shit make me. Last 2-3 times we met up I made it clear that he was pissing me the hell off but it didn't seem to phase him, he was enjoying it rather.
>>
>>18238893
"Jim, I think I had better stay away from you for a while. Maybe we can be friends again when I get my head straight, but until then please give me the space I need."
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.