[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any good books on conversation? I cannot converse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Tachibana_header.png (130KB, 270x276px) Image search: [Google]
Tachibana_header.png
130KB, 270x276px
Anyone have any good books on conversation? I cannot converse with people very well and I'm too shy and insecure to talk about my (almost nonexistent) hobbies. Often I just can't think of anything to say to keep the conversation moving or even start a conversation with someone who obviously wants one.
>>
A book isn't going to help you. Experience will. Just keep the conversation away from yourself if you have trouble, other people love talking about themselves.
>>
>>18237974
Watch more stand up comedy.

There are two types of interesting people.

Those who do interesting things

Those who think up interesting things

People who do interesting things generally are long winded and annoying about it. Those who are creative in thinking up ways to explain themselves are better in conversation.
>>
>>18237980
I can't do it in the heat of the moment. I have a very slow processing speed and I just blank out or get really nervous/stressed when I have to pick up the weight of the convo
I can only talk to people online and no one wants to do that with me for whatever reason.
>>
>>18237986
I speak like a 3rd grader but I write like a college student. I'm not very good at explaining myself
>>
>>18237992
You're socially awkward. We all are.

Are you in college, OP? Are you in a setting that allows you to easily talk to people? What does your voice sound like?

I highly suggest taking a speech class regardless of any of these. If you do, take it seriously. Use notecards, not a "script", and don't memorize, improvise. Outline all the topics you want to talk about on your notecards and improvise in the process of transitioning between them. Rehearse. It really is a confidence boost to do well in a situation where you're nervous inside constantly.

Most of all though? I know it's cliche, but be yourself. I don't mean it in the most cliche sense though. I mean if you're awkward, own the fact you're awkward. Mark it part of who you are, because believe it or not, it's not a big problem socially if you carry yourself well with it and don't try to change it outright. Learn to laugh at yourself. People like it when you take your mistakes in stride.
>>
>>18237992
I just spout bullshit in those moments. It's easy.
>>
>>18238014
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZptlC7HSEq

Like that. Just make stuff up.
>>
>>18238011
Sometimes there are class debates but only 2-3 people talk in those. The rest of the class doesn't say anything. Yes, I'm in college.

My voice is high pitched and monotone. (when It's low pitched no one can hear me) So, it's a bit robotic. The biggest confidence boost I had was teaching a highschool class how to use adobe flash to animate a ball bouncing. That gave me a confidence boost. I think the idea of "Teaching" people to do things is a confidence boost for me. The second largest confidence boost was me giving a 40 minute presentation on Mao Zedong. Sometimes I like to talk about history with my friends but it doesn't go beyond me saying a sequence of events. So I guess you could say that history is my strong talking point, I guess.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170403-122844.png (164KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170403-122844.png
164KB, 1440x2560px
>>18238031
Why don't you make your voice kore emotive. It's all about delivery.

Download this. Your voice should have a lot of peaks and valleys.
>>
>>18238033
What app is that?
>>
>>18237974
As someone who has read plenty of books about improving social skills, it's literally just about being as much as a pushover kissass.as possible.

In short :
>ask questions about other people's lives/experiences
>ask follow-up questions

There, I just saved you a couple dozen bucks. You're welcome, OP.
>>
>>18238031
Then keep at things like that. Do it more, and learn to think on your feet, and improvise, and actually kind of be funny in those sorts of presentations, because it's often more welcome than you may think.

When you can do that, you can think on your feet in conversation.
>>
>>18238038
Voice pitch analyzer.

>>18238039
This is somewhat true but having interesting opinions and good story delivery is what impresses people.
>>
>>18238045
Unless you're highly attractive and/or wealthy, no-one gives a shit about any stories you might have.

Trust me, I've tried.
>>
>>18238076
You have to actually be good at telling them in a non long winded way. And they have to be interesting.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.