/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/, I think I might be autistic, but I want to know for sure.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 0

/adv/, I think I might be autistic, but I want to know for sure. Who do I call (psychologist/psychiatrist/etc.) to diagnose me and help me figure out how to live a more normal life? Anyone have experience with this? Is it even worth it?
>>
If you don't have years and years of documentation that you are autistic there is no point. You can't prove you're autistic after you're old.
>>
>>18236166
Just because you act like a muppet every now and then doesn't make you autistic

Actual autism is undeniable and obvious, all the "normal guy but he says hes autistic" people are a fraud and just suck in social situations and try to make an excuse for it by calling it autism
>>
>>18236166
You may have issues but how the hell are we going to diagnose them with such little throughput here?
Plus autism is a meme, you're going to be accused of it for whatever tardednezs anyway.

Short of it is, follow the normal path to getting your mental health checked - talk to a professional, and for the love of dick don't go in like a hypochondriac claiming you know exactly what's up.
>>
>>18236207
So what mental health professional do I go see if I have no friends and have no idea how to go about forming relationships with people?
>>
>>18236166
Talk to your regular doctor and they can either test you themselves or they lead you to someone who can. Thats how i got diagnosed
>>
>>18237105
What if I don't have a regular doctor?
>>
>>18236166
Only a neurologist can properly diagnose you, and if you've to come to this realization yourself, I'm pretty sure you don't have an ASD. You're just trying to rationalize your behavior. If you get tested, your parents are going to have to answer a questionnaire. The questionnaire is designed with a child in mind, not an adult.

Having quirks did not make one autistic. Stop buying into that bullshit ffs!
>>
>>18237247
If I'm not autistic, why do I have such a hard time making and keeping friends?
>>
>>18237308
Having autism and being socially inept are two different things. You're looking for an excuse, a label, something you can directly blame your situation on and use as a crutch. Go see psychologist and talk your problems out.

I am socially inept btw. My housemate has repeatedly attempted to convince me I have autism. I don't, I just suck at life and am in a shitty situation. I see a therapist, it helps.
>>
>>18237342
Maybe I'll talk to a psychologist then. Can't hurt I guess. Can I just tell him/her that I have no friends and they'll help me figure out what's up? Or do I need more of a specific problem than that?
>>
>>18237465
You don't need a specific problem. Many of life's challenges are not clear cut. They will try to get to the root of your problem(s).
>>
>>18236166

I have some experience with this. I'm not autistic to my knowledge but it was an issue to me when I got my first job because someone who worked with autistic teens and young adults and such and helped specifically with their education thought at some point I might be mildly autistic. He was a co-worker of mine at the time and noted the way I worked; I kind of do everything in sequence and the way I move between things kind of "flows" more, like it's ingrained into my head. This doesn't necessarily mean I have autism, just that I have some symptoms that are in many cases present in people who do. In reality, I just have ADD, and I tend to tunnel-vision on one task and ignore everything else when I'm interested in it. Aside from that I'm a semi-awkward but normal person, and I've managed to own the idea of being awkward to where I can laugh at myself about it.

Misdiagnoses comes from reactions like yours to things many people struggle with but are looking for an answer for as to why they act like this, when the answer is just that it's how you are, and in a way, all "disabilities" or "disorders" are just how you are. It's a part of you. Some people do better than others at certain things, and some do worse.

There may very well be something wrong. But everyone has something wrong. It makes little difference whether or not you learn that you're autistic, because a person who is actually autistic will receive the same answer as a "normal" person asking the same questions.

Don't settle for labels. You don't have downs syndrome or severe autism judging from the fact you can type to me right now. Anything you have is likely insignificant or minor at best. You have problems. Own them.

If it's worth anything at all, I'm a Psychology student.
>>
>>18236166
>>18238050
Well said, best answer right here.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.