[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to tactfully help someone lose weight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1491858782764.png (517KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1491858782764.png
517KB, 1000x750px
I have a close friend who has struggled with their weight basically all their life. They have very bad eating habits and they are mostly sedentary except for the occasional attempt at diet or exercise. Their attitude bounces back and forth between complacency with their weight and deep insecurity. They become overzealous and attempt starvation diets or exercise to the point of self injury or lose only a small amount of weight and feel overly proud and then lapse back into old habits. Additionally, they are surrounded by people with similar problems who co-dependently enable each them.

My primary concern is that if they continue to live as they do, their time on this planet will be cut short before they are able to live their dreams and also that their weight is probably damaging to their self-esteem. Even worse, their fast food expenditure is bleeding them dry financially when they should be saving money.

I am a scrooge with my money and a bit of a skeleton and I think my friend resents me for this. They seem to have a bit of a passive aggressive streak and will fight others who try to reform them.

How do I as a lone assburger with shitty social skills save this person from themselves? I'm worried they will give shove me away or that their insecure friends will find some way to punish me for wanting to do something.
>>
>>18235563
>they are surrounded by people with similar problems who co-dependently enable each them.
This is the biggest problem. I've never once seen a fat person get thin when they're surrounded by other fat people.

>How do I as a lone assburger with shitty social skills save this person from themselves?
You don't. Sad to say it, but your friend won't get any better until they want to help themselves and are willing to put in the effort to do so.
>>
>>18235563

the best ways to help people in this situation is to control them. it may sound extreme, people tend to think 'well if they can't take care of it themselves than whats the point?'

but food addiction isnt that different than drug addiction. perhaps just as bad really considering that you HAVE to eat and that makes making the right choice harder.

if they are willing, the best thing you can do is move in with them, shop with/for them, and monitor all their food. and if you are unwilling to live iwth them for at least a week to accomplish this,. the best you can do is monitor from afar. but once you do that you know that they can lie, they can run off and buy something else, etc.
>>
You have good intentions and all but it is a bit contemptuous to think this way, and as your friend picks up on it it's likely to make them resentful towards you. Adults in general don't like to be controlled and want their friends to have faith in their judgement. Same goes for you, as much as you want your friends to help you out in various situations, you also probably don't want any of them constantly harping on you for this or that flaw.

At the same time this feels like wasted energy. As in good intentions that could be put to good use to genuinely help this other person. So I personally wouldn't say it's best to do nothing, but to do it in a way that shows you still respect this person and their boundaries. For example, if a friend was approaching you to help you with your social skills, how would you want them to go about it and how could they do this in a way where it still showed that they respected your overall judgement?
>>
>>18235563
gym buddy
diet buddy
jogging buddy
cooking buddy
>>
>>18235563

Don't be tactful.

Lay it out bluntly, don't hold back but don't criticize.

You are fat, it's disgusting, and you do not know how to get better.

Give them resources, point them to websites. Talk to them about how to actually fix their problem.
>>
>>18235563
Invite them out to do things. They don't have to be particularly active things, either. Show them a more enjoyable way to live than sitting around at home. If they're eating because they're insecure about what others think about them, and they're only trying to diet because they don't want people to judge them for being fat, they're not going to be able to make a lasting change. You have to give them reasons to get fit for themselves.
>>
NO GYM.

/fit/ fags are cancer. Gym culture is cancer. If one or both of you are autists, go /out/ instead. Summer is here, start camping, get some cool, convenient, lightweight equipment. Plan everything so it's not annoying and you end up wiping your ass with leaves. Take good care of your shoes and feet.

Anything but paying to go to the fucking gym.
>>
>>18235632
>NO GYM
How many twinkies have you eaten today?
>>
>>18235643
In all honesty, I'm not healthy, but I would rather die than become a gym rat. I am going camping this year and working on myself and NOT sculpting, toning, lifting, powerlifting meme shit.

I just don't like it.
>>
>>18235659
>I just don't like it
>Just my opinion bro
>BUT NOBODY DO IT GYMS ARE CANCER HEALTH IS CANCER BE SICKLY AND WEAK LIKE ME
Anon, there are better ways to deal with loneliness and poor health.
>>
>>18235670
Gyms really aren't needed, I don't think bodybuilding is necessarily a bad hobby to have if it's really your thing, but there are all kinds of foot fungus and stuff that's not worth being able to work out in front of people in a designated setting. And people look disfigured when they try to focus on looking like a fucking comic book character and giving themselves massive muscletits and dragonball Z legs and yeah, it is just my opinion, that it's more enjoyable to connect with nature while also losing weight by doing things you'd naturally do trying to survive in the wilderness.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me that people try to compensate with shit self esteem by being unapologetic egoists. I really am just as ok with myself now as I will be when I'm healthier, because I'm just trying not to die early. I'm still gonna be pretty fucking miserable, but at least I'm honest with myself.
>>
>>18235670
To be fair, when your reaction is like this and >>18235643 to anybody who doesn't embrace your gym cult, I'd say he has something of a point. Not everybody needs to chase gains, anon. And you're in every thread, pushing this constantly for every problem from depression to overeating to undereating to relationshit issues to NEETism.

Panacea comes to mind.
>>
>>18235711
Let him get one punch in, he's a pussy.
>>
every man i know who doesn't lift isn't a man. EoS.
>>
>>18236344
Yeah but gym lifters << livelihood lifters.

And plenty of the latter don't bother wanking off at the gym.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.