[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art School Dropout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

hey dudes
so im attending a small private art school in a shit area of seattle and i feel like its wasting my time.

we are in the last quarter of school and only have two months left. we are there from 9-5 mon-fri. its a pretty rigid school in the sense that it focuses almost entirely on classical and academic style drawings.
anyways to make a long story short, school has led to stagnation in my personal work and i dont feel ive grown very much at all while at the school vs the time i put in for self study before arriving. dropping out would mean i have to get a part time job, and find some freelance on the side + more self study. currently living with my girlfriend and she works fulltime while we split rent( ive been drawing from my savings this entire year, no job since august).

another issue im having with dropping out is my parents paid around 8000$ for my year here, and i dont want to let them down/throw money down the toilet.

so do i waste the next 2 months and just swallow the dick or do i say fuck it im an art school drop out?
>>
Everything you said just solidifies that the right choice is to stay the fucking two months you have left. I'm in Art School, too, and I've thought about dropping out, too. The difference with me and you is that I live in a very small country in South-eastern Europe and my education quality will never compare to what you have in the US. The plus I have is that my college is tutto completo free, that's it. But I decided that I'll stay even though I have 90% courses I don't care about. Make yourself believe, if you already don't, that everything you learn there you will use in your work. Education is priceless, please use it. It's only two months. Good luck.

P.S. I know it'll make you cringe but if you want to see what my sketchbook looks like maybe be can share artwork or some shit, maybe it'll inspire you to see what others study and it'll hopefully help your personal work? I'll leave my e-mail if you're down.
>>
File: tumblr_mkw0x3W49b1rntql8o1_500.jpg (152KB, 491x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mkw0x3W49b1rntql8o1_500.jpg
152KB, 491x500px
>>18234964
thanks for the great advice man, helped put things into perspective for me. i guess im just working through some anxiety/depression problems which is making the decision harder for myself. but i think ill take your advice, thanks again. yea thatd be cool man id love to share some work. im going to an atelier style school btw.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TOxhzAm7fY
>>
>>18234997
Glad you'll take my advice, I really believe that what I said is the right thing.

I feel you on anxiety and depression, this winter almost killed me and college pressure played a big part in it. I think this is the spring/transition stress kicking in, especially for you since you're finishing the whole thing up. It's the most stressful even though you may not think it is, but you'll make it and you'll come out of it as a winner. And you won't have to do a crummy job somewhere with someone who didn't finish elementary school, because you'll be living proof that you're educated, creative and capable to bring a task to an end - with good results.

Sorry if that got too deep to fast, I just though you may need to hear it so I risked the awkwardness.

About art sharing, here's my e-mail:
[email protected]

I study design of visual communication. We have such different schools but we could learn so much from eachother man. I recently scanned my mini sketchbook so I have stuff to send you right away

Just send me a mail so we don't have to write here, see you on the other side.
>>
bumping bc OP is an amerifag and is sleeping
>>
>>18235694
op is a fag nonehtheless
>>
File: 1488561276368.png (175KB, 407x280px) Image search: [Google]
1488561276368.png
175KB, 407x280px
>>18236499
YA GOT ME
>>
You artschool dudes want to do any commissions?

Every once in a while I'll throw an idea in a draw thread, but those are goddamn nightmares.
>>
File: mirage 3.jpg (215KB, 1024x1600px) Image search: [Google]
mirage 3.jpg
215KB, 1024x1600px
>>18237368
yea sure just depends on what you're looking for.
so whatre you looking for?
>>
>>18234934
Step one: don't go to art school
Step two: get an actual degree. i.e. Teaching/engineering
Step three: continue drawing on your own time while being able to maintain a nice family and job without getting sucked into the saturated crap-hole that is the art industry.

Note: I'm an "artist," I understand your position, and it's probably best to just continue drawing as a hobby; it's cool to have a non-art related job but still be an artist, believe me.
>>
I personally wouldn't have gone to art school in the first place, but I'd say you should stay until the end because there isn't much left anyways.
>>
>>18237393
It depends on what you are up for / your style, but lewds, action scenes maybe, or stupid crossover stuff. Got a DA, Tumblr, or whatever page I can hit up?
>>
>>18237449
yea man, heres my tumblr and artstation! if i dont fit what you're looking for no worries

http://joeyokay.tumblr.com/

https://www.artstation.com/artist/oopsfish
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.