[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would be an easy first novel to write?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2322.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2322.png
44KB, 657x527px
B& from /lit/ for off-topic posting
>>
I always find horror stories easy to write (not well admittedly). I grew up reading a lot of them so it's somewhat easy for me.
Write something you know about or are interested in, it's that simple.
>>
>>18234644
stephen king says the trick is to write every day even if its trash. so do that first. come back in 2 years.
>>
Write something intended for kids or teens. Basically YA fiction or fantasy. But are you really into writing? Writing is fucking difficult, especially if you want to do so for money.
>>
>>18234653
I want to do it, senpai.
>>
>>18234668
How long have you been writing? Have you ever attempted to write a novel before?
>>
>>18234669
I've always been into writing and stories and shit. I've just never written a novel before and it's not something I've been able to learn in school, either.
>>
What you want. The trick is not novel topic, it's technique. You're going to scrap your first attempt no matter what anyway, so hammer out a draft and figure out where you went wrong so you can go from there.
>>
>>18234673
Well pucker up buttercup, cause this shit is fucking difficult. Here's the gist of what you have to do:

>come up with an interesting story based on well-developed themes
>come up with interesting characters that grow and develop as the story goes on
>come up with a way to tell that story in 100,000 words or less, even if your story started as a plan of a 1000+ page epic
>spend days and weeks and months hammering out word after uninspired word, wondering if maybe you're making a mistake and your writing is actually shit
>somehow overcome this and make it to the end of your story
>read it through and think it's the greatest thing ever
>have someone else (or multiple people) read it and realize that even if you have an interesting premise, your themes are underdeveloped, your dialogue is flat, your characters are boring, and your prose is terrible
>go through it all a second time and repeat until you have something that isn't shit
>realize that even if you finally reach something that isn't shit, your work might be thrown in the trash without being read by any number of editors that receive a fuckton of stories daily from hopefuls that are potentially better than you

If you still want to write after that, then maybe you do actually enjoy the craft and have a shot. There's a book I read once that I think was called The First Five Pages. It gives you a bit of insight into how editors think and what they expect from a writer. Give it a look if you haven't read it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.