[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I give up junk food?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: redgrapefruit.png (167KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
redgrapefruit.png
167KB, 600x600px
Your answer's probably "No shit", right? The difficult part is that I have depression, and next to masturbating, eating is one of the only pleasures I've got left. When I cut back on it, I get very strong urges to eat some because life otherwise is very boring for me. I could easily overcome the urges if I had the motivation, but I'm not sure it's worth it right now. I don't want a gf, and being slightly slimmer isn't a big deal.

My question is: Is it true that eating healthy and exercise actually makes you feel good, and gives tangible pleasure? I've heard it described by one person as life being brighter and more pleasant, but I don't fully get it, and I'm not sure if it's really worth doing.
>>
Trying to give up sugar. Bought a massive jar of nutella today. It's hard work but will be worth it in the end.
>>
>>18233932
How do you know that?
>>
>>18233940
I don't.

A close friend of mine has done this, swears giving up junk food changed so much for her. A lot of people say the same thing. Look into Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet.

Good luck. I'm still trying to win this fight.
>>
>>18233931
>eating healthy and exercise actually makes you feel good
Yes also makes you horny.

But what you are describing sound more like overeating to cope with the anxiety which is a behavior that can be corrected.
>>
>>18233951
I'm not anxious, honestly. I meditate and it's quite helpful. The over-eating is just my body going "Eat the shit out of this because it's the only pleasure you'll feel all day". It does feel good, but I can ignore if it that means a healthier lifestyle feels much better.
>>
File: endorphine.jpg (24KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
endorphine.jpg
24KB, 400x320px
>>18233931
there's psychology to back all this up. Yes, exercise actually alters your mood; pic related.
>>
>>18233931
Currently writing a psychology paper on benefits of exercise...

[[ As well as decreasing symptoms of depression and anxiety, exercise has also shown to increase one’s perceived energy level, self-esteem and positive affect (Fontaine, 2000). ]]
>>
>>18233959
Well maybe no all the time but when depression hits it causes anxiety and eating certain foods can temporarily relieve depression/anxiety.
>>
>>18233931
Start cooking for yourself. And not bs like add water and heat on a stove. Buy raw ingredients and spices and look up food recipes online.

You will eat healthier, have fun and learn a valuable life skill.
>>
Former fatty turned mostly /fit/ here and I can tell you proper diet and exercise makes a huge difference in my mood and my outlook on life.

It's hard getting rid of the junk food at first, but after a cpuple weeks you'll reach the point that sugary shit simply doesn't taste as good as it used to. You just gotta get through the initial hump and then it's pretty easy desu
>>
Exercise does release endorphins...which may help you temporarily.

I think it really helps depression when you actually make noticeable improvements in your body. You begin to crave exercise and the endorphins they give, all while maintaining/improving a body that looks defined.

Depending on teh severity of your depression, having a nice body may not solve your problems, but I feel like it would be a boost every time you looked in a mirror, and said to yourself, "I set goals, I made this body happen. It was all me."
>>
>>18233970
Have you come upon anything related to apathy or loss of pleasure? Those are my main problems.

>>18233996
I notice I felt that way with sugary drinks. Used to be a chronic soda drinker, now I can't even swallow the stuff.
>>
>>18234006
Well, physical activity helps with your mental health problems for definite. There's also evidence that it is useful with helping you keep a daily/weekly routine, enhancing other aspects of your life (social, self-worth, goal setting, etc).
>>
>>18234028
Alright then, I'll give it a shot.

How should I handle the junk food? Go cold turkey immediately? I don't buy the stuff personally, but there's always some around the house, so I need to know.
>>
>>18234032
At therapy they give me a rubber band to wear on my wrist, every time you crave food you pull it a little and let it go, this will help you become more aware of the moment and stop also the little "pain" teach you body to stop.
>>
>>18234032
Depends on you and how disciplined you are.

Seriously consider looking into gaps diet, there's a lot of videos and recipes of how to follow. You can adopt it very slowly, if it works for you, and you like the sound of it.
>>
>>18234045
Interesting, I think I'll try that. My problem is that I hear people say you should be able to eat junk in moderation, so I'll eat one or two pieces of candy thinking it's normal and there's no negative consequences, but giving into the urge weakens my willpower and I always give up the diet after a few days. Your solution sounds really helpful.

>>18234049
Is that a fad diet?
>>
>>18233931
Im not telling you how to but here is what will work if you can follow it. Nothing is a set back if you stuff up don't all out binge restrain yourself.

>Cut all soft drink from here on, anytime you want soft drink have a sugarless coffee or tea instead. Only water from here on not even and especially not diet sodas.
>Up protein, buy some whey protein isolate and have it first thing in the morning and after training.
>Minimalism junk food slowly, doesn't mean you can't treat yourself.
>Have a wholesome lunch or dinner, but not both.
>Read the sticky on /fit/
>Find distractions or things you're force to do that will take your mind of food.

This is the best you will get to cutting it out. Do this successfully and the longer you do it, the more you can reward yourself. Keep going for a year and half, then once your at a level you can control it, one month on and one month off etc..
>>
>>18234065
Thanks for the plan. I'm more interested in what it will make me feel, though. My self-esteem is fine, and I don't care about getting a gf. I just want to feel good.

Also, is the sugarless coffee necessary?
>>
>>18233931
>>18233996

Former fatty also turned /fit/ to some degree. What this person says is completely true. If you're still feeling like trash after you've broken away from the poor diet and lazy lifestyle, something else is probably very wrong, and that should be worked on simultaneously if so.
>>
>>18234073
What specifically did it fix for you?
>>
>>18234067
It will make you feel zero guilt, you will feel in track and on top of yourself trust me. One teaspoon is fine as long as it won't lead you to go overkill. I guarantee the little satisfaction you get after sticking to it for a month or two and seeing small results in your body. Seeing new veins in my arms did it for me, just made me crave wanting to be the best version of me.
>>
I'm on the slow road you might be going on soon. Start by just cutting the amount of junk food you eat. Even by a quarter. Stop right before that "I'm so full it hurts" feeling. Try keeping your room clean. Showering helps a lot. Taking a 15 minute shower with relaxing music helps. Don't use super hot water. Luke warm. And then make it a little cooler right before you get out to give yourself a small rush. Get good smelling shampoo too. Hot water makes me feel needy and depressed. Also try to light your room with natural light if possible. And let the air flow through your room with an open window. Using man made light sources add to depression. Try to get out for a second for atleast a few minutes each day. Start with adding to your routine instead of cutting what you enjoy. Try to eat junk food that looks and feels healthier? Fruit snacks. Ice cream. Sherbet. Eating cookies in small bites. You can have as much as you want as long as you have small bites. And force yourself to eat a bell pepper or something.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.