[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Children and religion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1483341294934.png (528KB, 902x789px) Image search: [Google]
1483341294934.png
528KB, 902x789px
I have a child with a woman I'm not married to. He's 3. We split time with him. I'm non-religious and she's (recently) taken to Christianity. She's been introducing/indoctrinating him every other weekend. Today at Easter dinner, she asked him to say the prayer and he spewed some pre-recorded words back. This pissed me off to no end. I said many words, to the displeasure of everyone around.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christianity. I was raised Christian, became an atheist as a teenager, and have since settled on agnosticism. I love Christianity because it's a bulwark against Islam and it preserves the American society I've come to know and love. But, I've always felt somewhat above it. It's fantastic and it serves its role well, but to see my own son become one of its pawns makes me sick.

I'm not sure if god exists, but if he does, he's definitely not the Christian god.

So, how do I handle this entire situation?

So, how do I handle this situation?
>>
Look, tell her not to indoctrinate your child. It's inappropriate for a three year old who can't understand properly what he's saying or getting into.

Tell her it's wrong for her to push her beliefs on your child and that he should be raised neutrally until he's able to comprehend what religion is, and then should get both sides of the story from both of you.
>>
>>18230410
hey im atheist to and there is no god to my knowledge. personally i would try to explain why there is no evidence to support a god to the mother and if not the child. in the end the child should have both your inputs and decide for himself like you did if god is real or not.
>>
>>18230416
I've told her that, for sure. I've also explained to him that some people don't believe that stuff, but it's hard to tell him that as I also tell him Santa and the Tooth Fairy are real. Kids believe dumb shit and it's fun for them. I don't want to ruin everything for him.
>>
>>18230427
No matter what tell your kid the truth the more they understand about the world the better
>>
realize that the values and respect it will teach him are worth more than your beliefs. He'll realize it's all bullshit when he grows up anyway.
>>
>>18230410
>So, how do I handle this entire situation?
>So, how do I handle this situation?

Sir. You did not discuss this with your girlfriend before you had kids. I don't expect you to have discussed it with her before you hooked up. But you did hook up with someone very dumb, that is conveniently indoctrinated by a successful cult that the courts won't persecute her for being part of. Because they only hurt people on behalf of the cult through proxy wars.

Kids are important. Don't have them with idiots.
>>
>>18230486
Your advice is irrelevant. The truth of the matter is that she was on birth control and it failed, but regardless, it doesn't matter how the child got here, only that he did. I did not choose to mate with this woman, trust me. I did choose to sleep with someone on a system of birth control that's 98% effective, and was the unlucky 2% fucker. So, regardless of how he got here, he is here now and now I have to deal with this bitch.
>>
>His mom is indoctrinating him!
>How do I indoctrinate him instead?!
This is why people are so annoyed by the militantly nonreligious.
>>
>>18230497
>not teaching him anything
>indoctrination

cool argument
>>
File: Jesus saves-1.jpg (110KB, 480x529px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus saves-1.jpg
110KB, 480x529px
>>
>>18230410
I'm in a very similar boat
Same upbringing
Not a father, but an uncle
I live with my sister and my nephew, who is also 3

Whenever religion comes up, I tell him straight on what people believe
But I also say that it's what people believe.
Not what I believe or whether it's true or not.
It's just a thing that exists.

Like for Easter I explained that
>A very long time ago there was a very important person to a lot of people, and some other people made him go away. But 3 days later he came back. That's Easter. The day he came back.
He's mostly overwhelmed by bunnies and eggs and shit.

But I don't try to hide it from him. That's how my parents raised me. Indifferent pretty much to religion. Not necessarily atheist but more or less.
When I was a teen, I chose to be an atheist.
Because I didn't have a horse in that race, I could do what I thought was right.
>>
>18230504
To inundate him with your own reasons not to believe something you are providing him with a very specific doctrinal frame.
Psychologically there's no difference between the belief system she's constructing in his head and the one you're attempting to build in response to hers.
If you don't see that you're blind and as much a pawn of your doctrine as you believe Christians to be of theirs.
>>
>>18230518
should have gone
>>18230504
>>
>>18230518
I don't want to inundate him ANYTHING! I don't want religion or god to even be a topic he has to deal with right now! I don't want to teach him one way or the other! I want him to be of sound mind before he tries to understand the universe.
>>
I'm in this situation, only I'm the kid. Trust me, if he's got the capability to not be religious, he'll develop it on his own.

My dad's a fucking muslim and tried to take me back to Iran to become a dutiful muslim girl, whereas my mum was non religious. I fought him every step of the way and finally reported him for trying to abduct him and went to live with my mum.
>>
>>18230537
>I don't want to inundate him ANYTHING! I don't want religion or god to even be a topic he has to deal with right now! I don't want to teach him one way or the other! I want him to be of sound mind before he tries to understand the universe.
Except you said here >>18230427
that you tried telling him the opposite viewpoint
>>
>>18230557
My two statements are not logically opposed. I don't want him to hear EITHER SIDE right now, but in response to him being force-fed bullshit, I do have to provide anti-bullshit. I don't want to do it, but I am forced.
>>
>>18230580
They are logically opposed and you're clearly a hypocrite
This kid has much bigger problems than being taught a religion if he's your offspring. Poor thing's probably going to end up mentally stunted at best
>>
>>18230587
Provide an actual argument. If I'm a hypocrite, then it will be easy do so.
>>
>>18230410
i think getting into an argument with your girlfriend about whether god exists or not is the worst fucking idea. i think you should just tell her that even if you son is going to be religious, you would much rather have him research it himself than have him indoctrinated into it.

i am not christian myself, but i know that researching "enlightenment" is a valued merit in christian community, so maybe she will accept that he needs to research it and learn about it himself too.

on the other hand, knowing religious people, she will still do some sneaky stuff behind your back but i don't personally know her, so i guess that is something you should be the judge of.

hope that helped.
>>
>>18230410
If he's happy and the mother is happy what do you have to gain by taking that away?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.