[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did I fuck up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: klaymen.jpg (30KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
klaymen.jpg
30KB, 300x225px
>Best friend's little sister's birthday last week
>Known this family for a long time and close with them
>Invited to go to birthday party
>This is her first birthday party so it's somewhat of a big deal
>Am close with his sister so I wanted to get a nice gift
>Thinking about what to get her
>Her parents are poor so they can't afford to get her much
>She likes to play my games when she comes over so I decide to buy her a 3DS
>Managed to find a pink 3DS and bought Pokemon with it too
>Day of party
>Everybody having a good time
>Sister blows out candles and it's now time to give her presents
>She gets a bunch of different presents from friends, mainly toys and other little things
>Her parents give her a doll she wanted and she seems happy
>It's my turn to give her my present
>Give her my carefully wrapped present
>Best friend asks me what I got her and I say it's a surprise
>Sister opens up present and her eyes light up
>She can't believe what it is and asks if this is really a 3DS
>I say of course it is and she gives me a hug and says thank you
>She is completely obsessed with it and just wants to play it
>She says my present was the best one by far and asks her parents why they didn't get her one
>They didn't really have an answer for her
>Felt kind of bad in that moment
>Best friend takes me aside and asks what I was thinking and that I know his family is poor
>I told him I knew that but I wanted to get her something nice
>He says now she thinks less of his parents because I got her a way better present
>I apologize and told him that wasn't my intention
>Week later
>Best friend says all she wants to do is play and is always asking me to come over
>She hasn't even touched her other presents and he could barely get her away to do stuff
>Her parents feel like shit and he wants me to apologize to the
>Guilts me about not thinking about my actions
>Feel like I'm getting unnecessarily hated here
Am I really the bad guy here? I just wanted to make her birthday special..
>>
no you're not the bad guy here, that guy sounds like a douche and so do the parents. although it's her first birthday? I don't think children should be glued to the 3ds at such an early age.
>>
yeah you should've asked the parents first and should apologize to the parents now
you're not raising that child, they are
>>
>>18229376
Let me guess, you're/they are a minority or live in some turd world shithole where "saving face" is important
>>
>>18229376
Well you did by not telling him beforehand. Maybe they don't want their daughter to have a console, who knows.
Anyway, you fucked up but if you apologize and maybe try to make the girl understand that she shouldn't play with it all day, or something.
>>
>>18229376
not your fault but if you want to remain friends with this guy and go over there just tell them what you told us. Your intent was not to hurt anyone and had only the best intentions.
>>
>>18229376
Fuck poorfags, op. Don't let poor ass plebs dictate how you should feel or deal with your finances. For her 16th buy her a used jalopy and i guarantee you, you have all 3 of her virgin holes by the end of the day.
>>
>>18229376
First thing you do, apologize to the parents, because they obviously care about that shit. Next thing you do, you get your own 3DS if you don't already have one and you friend little sis. Finally, you put yourself in the position that you are the guy that little sis wants to lose her V-card with.

Win-win-win.
>>
>>18229477
>apologize to a 3rd party for expending your resources to give someone you care about a present.
Nope.avi
>>
>>18229477
Apologizing indicates guilt and culpability. Op did nothing wrong so doesn't have to apologize
>>
>>18229505
He did.
Imagine if your son's best friend bought to your daughter a car on her 18th birthday, and she spends the following weeks driving continuously, what would be your reaction?
Yes that's far fetched but expensive unwelcomed gifts are not really the best surprise you could make.
>>
>>18229528
I would be grateful for the unexpected windfall
>>
>>18229376
Be honest, do you have any sort of attraction to the sister?
>>
>>18229528
why? the daughter gets to experience something that I can't provide for her.
>>
>>18229536
>>18229661
that's your child
at the very least he should've told first
>>
>>18229528
Wow this was really though provoking. I guess it depends on the guy. If he's a good man, I'd push my daughter to marry him, because clearly he cares about her.

But if he's weird or creepy... not "marriage material" I would tell her to be careful around him. I'd tell her that he's trying to "buy your heart" or something.
>>
>>18229376
That was very kind of you. She enjoyed your present immensely, and that was the goal. Though, in hindsight, especially depending on her age, you certainly should have ran it by the parents beforehand. That's the one mistake you made.

If it were me, I wouldn't apologize for giving her the gift, but I would definitely try to show that I never intended to 1-up everything they worked to give her. It would be fair to apologize for that aspect of things.

But yeah, you sound like you're a good dude and they should appreciate that, especially if you're understanding with them. But if they can't forgive you for an expensive gift, then they're absolutely in the wrong. [Unless they explicitly told you not to do-so beforehand.]

But there's a lot of ways to look at things, especially from an outsiders point of view. So, this is just my take.
>>
Fucking asshole loser parents. It's one thing to not be able to scrape together enough money for a decent present, but then to shame someone for getting their kid something nice? They literally give zero fucks about their kid, and only care about themselves and their image. Fucking unbelievable losers.
>>
imo being jealous that a little girl likes someone else's present more than yours is a special kind of faggotry, no matter how what something costs
I don't know if it was used or not, but regular old 3dss don't cost much these days, definitely less than 100, and if they need money that bad then they should stop being morons in the first place, so I wouldn't call it excessive gifting
I mean jesus, you made a little girl happy what the heck is the problem here, are the parents against gaming stuff but can't be any longer?

It is strange you told neither the sibling nor the parents before though, I don't understand your reason for that, but thats none of my business
You could always apologize to the parents, even if you're not really sorry, to maintain a respectful relationship and show your intentions were good
If you do apologize to the parents, I'd definitely not take shit from my friend any longer, if I even considered it any of my friend's business in the first place, but that's up to you
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.