[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What programming language should I learn?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1491659129594s.jpg (9KB, 250x192px) Image search: [Google]
1491659129594s.jpg
9KB, 250x192px
Picture unrelated.

I'm interested in learning a programming language in my spare time that could increase my chances of immigration and employment in the United States; I'd also like to build up a portfolio around it.

What programming languages should I consider and what resources are there to help me with it?

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks!

#egoijaeijgpioahngoiuaehbgoipabgopai
>>
emojicode

http://www.emojicode.org/
>>
learn javascript and python. also, java, if you have lots of patience and want a real challenge

btw, tech is not only about learning a specific programming language... you have to learn lots of other things. if you want to be a webdev, learn how HTTP works, learn HTML/CSS/JS
>>
If you're gonna build a portfolio, then you'll probably need some basic webdev stuff.
If you haven't learned HTML and CSS, then learn that first. Afterwards, learn Javascript and a frontend framework like Vuejs.
Then you can build proper websites and your portfolio won't be shit.

Alternatively, I'd recommend Python as I doesn't focus so much on webdev, (It is also used for webdev, but you need to also include some javascript.)

After you've learned one of them and want to learn a static language, I'd recommend Java or C++.
>>
>>18228815

Here's what a (good) computer science program in the US will require from undergrads:

First Semester:

Intro to Java

Second Semester:

Advanced Java
Basic Data Structures

Third Semester

Basic C and Assembly
Discrete Mathematics
Calculus I/II
Logic

Fourth Semester:

Basic Algorithms (usually doesn't require programming, it's more of a math class)
Exploring Languages (that is, you'll learn to use Functional-paradigm programming languages, probably something databases and/or Prolog)
Advanced Data Structures
Probably complete Beginning Statistics by this point

From there on you will probably want to do a lot of the following:

Advanced Algorithms
Machine Learning
Networking Systems and Design
Cryptology
Parallel Programming and Design
Network Security and Design
Project Management with Git/SVN etc.
Web Development (backend with Ruby on Rails etc.)
Operating Systems (killer class I'm taking right now, we use C and Assembly to write parts of a kernel. We just finished a project where we implemented virtual memory and paging to disk)
Advanced Data Structures
Systems Architecture
Artificial Intelligence
Industry Java Solutions (Java is for some reason still extremely often used by big companies. Largely because while it's a mediocre language and platform it has a lot of history in industry and so there are honestly hundreds of billions of lines of legacy code and a library for pretty much anything you could want to do ever)

Some languages that you MUST learn WELL:

Java
C/C++
Python
Ruby
JavaScript (including technologies associated with it)

putting knowledge of some sort of Assembly language is super helpful. I don't recommend you start with x86, I did stuff like z80 and Atari assembly in high school. It's easier to do fun stuff with older processors/platforms. The big assembly language you would want to put on your resume is ARM (v7 and later) because any job that requires it will pay more. It is considered a rare skill
>>
>>18228879
>>18228851
>>18228854

Thank you very much.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.