[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why am I incapable of connecting to people in my generation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10

File: sun feels.jpg (991KB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
sun feels.jpg
991KB, 3456x2304px
No matter how hard I try / have ever tried, I can never really "connect" with people in my generation "millenials" aka "18- mid 20s"

My inability to gain friends, gain entry into social circles, and my inability to get laid all stem from an inability to "connect" to these people
I know it isn't a looks problem because from the combination of my clothes, hair, and physical body I am regularly told I look incredible, am rated high on the 10 scale, have had a guy model tell me I should model, a gay guy called me hot as hell, and a 9/10 short jeans wearing tank top sporting lesbian girl at a club literally held my face in her hands and looked at me basically in awe and said I was beautiful and she wasn't even drunk because I saw the way she moved and talked and she was way too competent in the way she did so

I know its not an intelligence thing because IQ tests prove I'm not retarded and am actually a lot smarter than most people, and my number one thing is verbal intelligence mixed with reading AKA words and wording in general (can semantics people to death if I want to)

So what's the problem? I feel like the issue is way deeper, like at the core of my being I am just not like everyone else, I'm different, I've always felt this way and I still do, and as everyone knows the number 1 requirement for relationships with people is the feeling of a connection and that connection is just never there or at at most is only partially there
>>
File: Feel.jpg (91KB, 618x800px) Image search: [Google]
Feel.jpg
91KB, 618x800px
For some reason I've never felt this with people who are significantly older than me (15+ years) or people who are significantly younger than me (not sure in terms of numbers but right now I turn 20 next month and pre-college teenagers are a lot easier to get along with than people at college)

Its more than just learning new words like "bet, true, word, tryna, flex" the music, the dances, the general culture
Its like how my mind works at a fundamental level versus how their minds work, its like how they view problems and how they come up with solutions vs how I do, its like how they interpret new information and process it versus how I do, its what they find entertaining and what I do, its almost like people's minds have operating systems and mine is different than the everyone else's, and they pick up on the difference and so do I

I just cant figure out what it is
Does any of this make any sense?
>>
Test
>>
>>18227792
>>18227796
Someone once told me that it was because I don't see people out of my age group as potential competition or as a threat, and they don't see me as such either.

I've definitely experienced the getting along better with older and younger people thing too.
>>
>>18227792
>>18227796
For starters you could lose the "holier than thou" attitude and the painfully obvious air of superiority you're carrying.

There's seven billion people in the world, you're not a special snowflake. Find a club or group that shares similar interests and make friends. It's not easy but anything that is worth it never is, lose the smugness before you do.
>>
Another thing I've noticed is that they all seem to be heavily emotionally driven, they seem to make decisions and take actions based on how they "feel" rather than what makes sense, they will do things that objectively don't make sense or are not as good as something else, because it "feels right"

Like they will argue with a drunk person even though drunk people are incapable of being reasonable and are known to become violent when provoked, your average person will still try to engage them like "why do you always get drunk, this is so bad"
If you try to get them to stop, they will go "I don't care, I don't care" and will talk about how upset it makes them (going back to emotions again)

People will refuse to do business with someone because of a lack of familiarity with them, someone can offer to pay for everything they need to host a social event, and the person will refuse, even though it benefits them immensely, simply because "they don't know them"

People will remember a mildly negative event from 7 months ago, and that will cause them to try to convince other people not to associate with someone, even when that person is offering great benefits to someone
People will start arguments with people even when they know it wont go anywhere, they will argue about the same stuff over and over on a loop, women will stay with abusive men and keep going back to them, men will challenge other men over petty things, everything is so based off of emotion

>inb4 autism
1) It shows again how emotional some people are that at the first instance of someone talking about it they go "well you just aren't emotional enough and it must be caused by a mental illness
2) I've even had a psychiatrist and a psychologist both test me and tell me I don't have autism

So with that said I really really don't know why I can't connect to people
>>
>first time visiting this board but feeling this exact thing and am a trap
Bump, I feel like I'm slowly going insane/suicidal from this issue. Lately I've been trying everything but nothing seems to work, I feel like I'm destined to end up alone without friends or a boyfriend. Everytime I meet someone I get told I'm gorgeous and pretty and too smart for my own good but I can never make a connection to these people and feel so lonely even in their presence.
>>
>>18227812
>this whole post
I'm literally complaining about how I cant form connections with people and how I want to relate to them and your sitting here accusing me of being holier than thou
This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about
>>
Take a look at what you have typed. Don't you see the problem yet?
>>
>>18227823
>>18227825
Do what he said. Seriously take a step back and read it as if it wasn't written by you. Be critical and objective and tell us what you think.
>>
>>18227831
It looks like someone who is doing his best to analyze why his mind works differently than other people's minds and he brings up good points especially here >>18227817
>>
>>18227839
You're pointing out negative shit about people that isn't even a generational thing. Why would you want to connect with those kind of people anyway? Being a shitty person isn't generational, its a human thing, and you're judging all of your peers guilty while holding yourself up as some kind of paragon of virtue.

Why would anyone want connect with you?
>>
>>18227792
Find commonalities in people that aren't normal either

I've always felt this way but you do seem like you have a sort of negative air of superioty about you. You gotta kill this before you can feel truly connected to people, otherwise they will feel like intelligent dogs to you.
There are other people as smart as you but just give people a chance and connect with people in the commonalities of human experience. What I mean b that is that every human wants love and acceptance. If you can empathize with a regard on that level that means that there's a problem with you.
>>
>>18227858
If you can't empathize with a retard on that level*

(I drink because I can't cope with the Mexicans around me, excuse my typos)
>>
>>18227857
The negative shit is undeniable
How am I in the wrong? I'm not the one who does the negative shit

>>18227858
What they are doing is just so hardwired into them that its hard to fake being it too and I just cannot relate to it and can't really 100% fake it
>>
>heh im too smart for these normies.........................

Found the problem.
>>
Same here OP. That's why all my friends are in their 50s-60s while I am 29.
>>
>>18227865
There's a saying "when eveyone seems like an asshole, maybe you are the asshole."

You really need to shake this special snowflake syndrome, because if keep carrying on this way prepare to be miserable and lonely. Not every single millennial embodies the traits you detest.
>>
>>18227878
>>18227881
Even my 27 year old club promoter friend says my generation sucks
He was in college when I was in middle school
>>
>>18227885
We get it dude, you're the Jesus Christ of your generation and we should all venerate you and suck your cock.
>>
>>18227898
Why you do you equate someone talking about a problem with acting superior?
>>
File: 1490600549119.gif (430KB, 480x270px)
1490600549119.gif
430KB, 480x270px
>>18227885

Nah, man. You're just an asshole. I'm sorry to say but you are. Every social environment has guys like you putzing around. You refuse to let go of your superiority complex so, naturally, you avoid socializing with people and people avoid socializing with you. Its pretty apparent that your air of superiority and condescension most likely taints every effort you make to connect with people, even if this habit of looking down on people isn't concious. Its pretty simple, really.

It has nothing to do with your generation sucking and everything to do with your inability to rectify your need to be better than everyone with your fear of being alone. You can't have both, kid. You can either continue to blame your problems on an entire generation of millions of people or you can start taking responsibility for your attitude. We're not going to sit here and argue with you about whose fault it is that you can't connect with people. Its your fault. End of story.
>>
>>18227901
Once again you're judging an entire generation for the sins of some people you met, all the while stroking yourself over you're so great and awesome.

I guarantee you their is someone in your generation who devotes their life to serving others and being a good person, yet they don't feel the need to rub it in eveyones face.
>>
>>18227901

The entire synopsis of your problem has been "I can't connect with people because they are all inferior to me."

Its the definition of acting superior, my man.
>>
>>18227920
>>18227914
>>18227909
refute my points like people arguing with drunks for no reason or get out
>>
>>18227941
???
Try that post again
I'm practicing to be a lawyer and I'm not sure what you mean

What they're saying is that, lets just say, everyone is fucked but you. There must be at least one of two people around you that agrees, like /pol/acks IRL.
Find them and stop acting superior

Do you talk about being better than a a school of fish? Same shit Brudda.
>>
>>18227941
Perhaps they care about the drunk on some level. Like they may be friends or relatives or something. You don't know since you seem to lack empathy, something they have. If you want that fixed, I suggest you volunteer in a place like hospital. You'll be among patients, doctors, and nurses who would likely be older than you, except the difference is that their job is to be caring and empathetic. You will become a better person since you will develop empathy (more like reconnect with it; it's likely somewhere inside of you, you just repressed it for whatever reason). It worked for me, and I was like you 4 years ago.
>>
>>18227977
Being friends or related to the person doesn't change that in that moment they are wasting their time and only making things worse
A drunk that's left alone will eventually quietly pass out, a drunk that's confronted and challenged will just rear up and incoherently yell and may even turn violent

>empathy
Again, the emotions don't line up with reality
>>
Yeah you're just autistic, there's the answer. Congrats you're special like you always wanted to be
Next question?
>>
>>18227994
>a psychiatrist and a psychologist both said he isn't but I say he is so that means he is
>>
>>18227792
>>18227796
God damn dude fix your attitude, just from reading these two posts I feel like I'd never want anything to do with you.

Take some advice from the other guys in this thread and be a bit more introspective on the way you look at people
>>
Stop wasting time worrying about 'connecting' with morons and focus on making money

Lead by example
>>
File: 1491980137237.jpg (55KB, 342x316px) Image search: [Google]
1491980137237.jpg
55KB, 342x316px
Is there supposed to be a problem here?

You might be placing too much emphasis on how similar people should be to you, such as whether they can follow your train of thought, get what you mean, have real back-and-forth in a conversation, etc. That myopically places you as the reference point in relations, so you automatically shut down any chances of connecting with people because right from the get-go, it's all about you. If conversation is a dance, then belittling your partner isn't going to get you far.

Give people (some) a chance to be different. It's not gonna drastically change anything, but you'll at least put some distance from this idea that people even have to be interesting. Then that estrangement you have with your generation won't even feel special anymore.

I don't feel the need to 'connect' and regularly spend months without going outside or using the internet. I do public speaking and talk with strangers in different languages just fine. People are interesting some days, boring on others. It doesn't really make a difference. You put too much importance on this 'connection' thing but it's really no big deal. Possibly, you're worried about this because you are lonely, or on the way to it. You go back and forth between placing the blame on your own incapability to converse and other people being emotional (i.e. not thinking like you).

Your differences with others are starting to get to you. Other anons noticed a holier than thou attitude underneath your assertions to the contrary that you are actually attractive and smart and the implications that it is just a problem with your generation. The underlying assumption driving your posts is that people have to be like you and they have to be interesting: the connection you fail to find is because people are like this and that, etc.

A solution, if you want one, is to just stop being egoistic and let things be.
>>
File: 1486235055337.jpg (18KB, 350x293px)
1486235055337.jpg
18KB, 350x293px
>>18227941

Throughout the course of this thread I've come to see exactly why people don't like you. You really suck, dude. I mean, I don't know if you're in kind of a special mood or whatever but you sound like a genuinely unpleasant person to be around. You're arrogant and condescending and you respond to any advice that doesn't fit with your narrative like an insolent child. Its been exhausting just communicating with you briefly through an anonymous message board I can't imagine the metric fuck ton of a bummer it must be to actually be around you.

Fix your attitude or don't, man. Either way, our advice isn't gonna change. If you don't like our advice then go somewhere else. Sorry we're not telling you what you want to hear but, ultimately, it isn't our job to pamper your fragile ego. If you wanted that you go talk to your mom, not the internet.
>>
>>18228087
Even if I go with everything you said as soon as they find out I don't listen to lil yachty or any of the other latest trendy "artists" they will look at me with a combination of curiosity and scorn
>>
>>18228088
Not OP, but the vitriol here just makes it more difficult for people to find the point. They're just going to resist more because they're already offended, compounded with the difficulty of having to think differently.

People can't easily differentiate between the parts where their reasoning is called into question, and where they're getting shit flung into their faces.

>>18228100
>Even if

There's your problem. You automatically assume that you know what will happen. Or that you even fully understood my point.
>>
>>18228100
Give me some info on what kind of person you are.

Are you in uni? What are you studying? How long has it been since you had a friend your age? Do you work? Are you living in a shit area? What happened to your high school friends?
>>
>>18228105
happened before
>>
>>18228113
Then let it happen again. I wasn't giving you advice on how to talk to people. I was calling into question this need you have for 'connection' and more specifically, what this 'connection' is that you're looking for. Because you've problematized it, the idea needs to be defined.

The quickness you had in missing this key point illustrates just how much you only listen to yourself.
>>
File: let go.jpg (60KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
let go.jpg
60KB, 960x960px
>>18228087
literally only post ITT that even comes close to making any kind of sense

>>18228107
go to an urban college in a shitty city that's a shadow of its former self, the college is extremely "diverse" as in it has just as many hood rat ghetto "and I mean ghetto like they show off pistols in their apartments" blacks, as there are illegal hispanics, as there are fresh off the plain arabs that dont speak english, as there are very isolated and cliquey asians of every nationality, as there are white people
the whites are all from a different part of the state that is very very "head up its ass" ish because of the wealth of it and the extreme leftism of it (extremely "progresive") which gives them a very holier than thou thing

So take the pure fucked factor of the demographics, combined with the location, and you go from your standard run of the mill small college town full of people who are relatively the same as you are experience, to an absolute cluster fuck that feels more like downtown london than US college

I currently have a friend who is currently a year or two older than me but he is so constantly busy that we don't do anything anymore
I hang around a literally straight out of compton (his childhood) black promoter guy and all his connection people who include a cocaine dealer, a massive drunk, pot heads, and gold digger girls

I'm currently trying to repair relations with some college students I used to party with
I deliver pizzas and make a shit load of money way more than I have ever made probably around 1500 a month
I live outside the city and go into it for university stuff

Plot twist, I withdrew from all my classes last semester and took this semester off, and ironically if it weren't for me doing that I wouldn't be able to work as much as I do or hang around the people I hang around now

Still haven't gotten laid
>>
File: 1485392841494.gif (503KB, 200x200px)
1485392841494.gif
503KB, 200x200px
>>18228105

>Not OP, but the vitriol here just makes it more difficult for people to find the point. They're just going to resist more because they're already offended

Who gives a shit? He's spent the entire thread arguing with everyone who doesn't agree with him no matter the tone or the matter of reasoning. This whole "gotta be nice or they're going to resist" thing might be applicable if it weren't just him being affected by this but the entire issue is his inability to be honest about himself.

Who cares if he doesn't want to hear it? Who cares if it isn't nice enough? The only person he punishes by thrashing against it is himself.

Him being offended doesn't change the truth. Him having his feelings hurt doesn't change the fact that sometimes in life you will be told things about yourself that hurts and regardless of how nice the message came across you have to deal with it. Life is not always going to pull punches and deliver its reality to you in easily digestible, pleasant bites.

Ultimately, he has to decide whether or not he wants to be honest with himself. I think we do a great disservice to this generation of children by holding their hand and babying them through the hard realities of life. Sometimes you fail. Sometimes you're not good enough. Sometimes you're not a good person. Its a hard lesson to learn but if you can learn it you'll be a better person for it. We've spent the past 30 posts trying to get him to admit even a shred of responsibility of his actions and he's refused so as far as being "nice" goes I could hardly give a shit.

He's an unpleasant person and people don't like him because he acts like he's better than them. He is what most people would commonly refer to as an asshole. Truth is out. Now the ball is in his court.
>>
OP, I am so similar to you and all of the advice given to you in this tread is exactly what i figured out to be true after a night in the woods two days ago. I feel virtually the same. Superior to most people, superior to my parents, superior to my significant other. Every step i take is a rationaly processed and carfully sought out plan to do the "best thing" possible in the given situation. Each end every sentence i produce is a plan. I came to realize that i have to drop that attitude. This makes it so hard to "connect" to people because I make them feel worthless. But at the same time they seem to like it in a weird way. I can't describe it jet, but it seems as if i make people feel safe when I am around. They know that I hold the strings, so to speak. I notice this when my girlfriend is around. I am so rational, that I sometimes forget to show my love to her.
But i don't want to be like that.
I want to give people a chance.
I want to be softer.
I want to be more humane.
I want to be able to show that i can love.
>>
>>18228131
>Who cares if he doesn't want to hear it?
You, obviously.

Otherwise, what's the point of typing all that out?

I do enjoy the occasional shitpost myself, but there are definitely times when I want to give people a different perspective. The tendency is to devolve with shitposting because you get frustrated, but it's really fine. It's up to anyone what they make of things, but it's also some work making a point. I'm middle class in the third world so I always find myself reformulating ideas to see if they make sense on the lower end of the SES spectrum. When I do presentations, the goal is never to get all people to 'understand' but to just get them thinking. That's always enough and even then it's not necessary that they do.

On the other end, you're also trying really hard to shove it down his throat that he's a shitbird with the underlying implication that you're absolutely right. It's fine, but it betrays your intent if you wanted OP to think more or if you actually just wanted him to see things your way.
>>
>>18228124
What the fuck man. You got some balls to look down on people if this is where you're at in life.

You need to get your head out of your ass and treat people with respect if you want friends. Try to befriend your college classmates (the whites ones as it seems you very much dislike anyone ethnic) and avoid the gangbangers when you go back.
>>
>>18227792

Technically, millenials goes to early 30s.
In any case, the smarter you are, the more miserable everything around you becomes. It's just easier for you to see when arguements are pointless and you get to recognize the petty/childish behaviors in so-called adults. You have to remind yourself how low the "average" truly is.
Try mingling with a slightly older age group or at least people with similar intellectual prowess.

Now I'm not trying to give you a big head, but if your appearance is as amazing as it sounds, you might also just intimidate some to where they're constantly spilling spaghetti in your presence.
>>
I'm >>18228141 but >>18228139 is definitely a faggot.

5/10 anime btw.
>>
>>18228146
It's the "I'm depressed because I'm so smart" meme. No, you're just sad that your emotional toolbox is less effective than a shovel.

Why does it make more sense that superiority is associated with misery than happiness? It's because you're just miserable and finding excuses for it.
>>
>>18227823
That's because that's literally the way you use to describe yourself, jackass.
>>
>>18227817
You say they shouldn't get worked up over drunk people, because drunk people are just more impulsive and irrational. Then why do you get worked up over people led by emotions and making dumb decisions? Same concept, that's just how the world works.
>>
>>18227941
>wants help connecting with others
>complains about a lot of shit in doing so
>gets told to stop complaining and acting like he's so good and be more humble
>'MUUUMUUMUUUHHH REFUUUUTEEEE MYYYY POOOOOIIIINTSS'
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>18228159
Because being ruled by emotions and feelings is so foreign and alien to me that I can't really into it enough to get the vast majority of them to like me
>>
>>18228166
Being ruled by emotions is the norm. Being purely rational leads to insanity.
Read some existential authors.
>>
File: How to into online dating.png (41KB, 1096x469px) Image search: [Google]
How to into online dating.png
41KB, 1096x469px
>>18228166
>>18228159
and because women are 2x as emotionally controlled as men, and we live in a society that enables it 100%, it really shows me just how rigged the system is and how fucked I am outside of them being drunk or maybe if I get a photographer to stage some really good pictures that follow pic rel then and combine them with the strategy outline in an incoming screen cap then maybe I can trick some into having sex with me and get out before they realize what I'm really like
>>
File: how to hookup with girls online.png (80KB, 1836x592px) Image search: [Google]
how to hookup with girls online.png
80KB, 1836x592px
>>18228169
>>18228170
I cant even into being emotional because my rationality is so strong and so ingrained in me that it just kicks in automatically and takes over and at my core I know its right anyways
Trying to connect and communicate with these people emotionally is like trying to speak a language I only 1/4 know and that at the core of my being I know is inferior anyways
>>
>>18228144
>You got some balls to look down on people if this is where you're at in life.

I'm struggling to find that in his post. He seems more like a white guy stuck in an unconducive cultural melting pot who's starting to make some friends.

>>18228166
OP, be honest. Are you even trying to think?

Might be a little difficult, but the western philosophy of mind is behind the artificial thought/feeling bifurcation. The division obviously isn't productive for you. What you think changes how you feel, what you feel changes what you think, etc. The difference between heart and mind is a reified boundary and while productive for science and philosophy, is often incorporated into folk thinking in a way that can be destructive.

Thought is feeling and vice versa. Judging from this >>18228172 you'll probably hate the exercise.
>>
>>18228172
You sound so stupid and naive.
>>
>>18227823
>i can't connect guys
>I look gorgeous
>I'm super intelligent
>I process information so much different than people my age
>the decisions they make are so wrong because they are led by emotion and from my pov objectively wrong so it means they do it wrong
>everything is so based off emotion. Emotions I don't comprehend so they are wrong
>>
>>18228172
>>18228170
This is actually something I've tossed around in my head for like half a year now but have never actually tried, although I have been getting more and more matches and with better and better looking girls now that I have around half the pics on the list, but they are with a low quality camera, also I link to my instagram that has 1500 followers and I go with the retarded short bio shit too

Girls respond to the messages but they never get to the agreeing to meet up stage, also the vast majority of the pretty white girls still dont match with me
Its all been really experimental, I remember back 2 years ago when I was still fat and had literally 0 social life I got literally like 0 matches

So maybe if I do this whole photgropher thing with over 9000 resolution pics and ultimate staging and backdrops and everything and all the other shit maybe I can become a tinder master and rely on basically the equivalent of a peacock strutting around to get girls?
would totally bypass the whole emotional thing
>>
>>18228180
>hey guys lets try to argue with drunk people because our feelings say its wrong for them to get drunk at this time and/or place
>it wont accomplish anything but lets do it anyways
>because feelings
>anyone who says not to is the problem

>inb4 why do you harp on this analogy so much
because its the most blunt one
>>
>>18228178
His current situation does not warrant the superiority complex he seems to have.
>>
>>18228178
I have little to no idea what your talking about so Im gonna need sauce if Im gonna evaluate it
>>
>>18228186
Get another analogy or people will stop replying.
>>
>>18228194
see

>>18227817
>>18227817
>>18227817
>>
>>18228194
they are beneath the drunk one
>>
>>18228198
It's perfectly normal to follow your gut.
You only trust the people you know for business out of fear of being tricked.
You hold grudges when someone does something shitty to you and you're forced to hang with them and see them do the same shitty thing over and over again.
Everything you said is just normal typical human behaviour. Doesn't have anything to do with the current generation or whatever.
>>
>>18228187
Agreed but >>18228124 isn't OP if you were >>18228144.

Sauce? Good luck, buddy. The Psychological Construction of Emotion edited by Barrett and Russell is the first volume summarizing a new research program based on large scale MRI studies. Think about it this way, we only invented the MRI 20 years ago. Your thinking is informed by a commonsense intuition that predates that invention. A lot of how people think the 'brain' works is rooted in socialized norms, located in discursive and institutional structures. In other words, it's socially constructed.

If you don't like the research heavy approach, then I guess that runs counter to your 'rationality' yes?

I'm less familiar with philosophical texts that tackle thought/feeling division so I can't recommend anything there. But Marcel's writings on genuine dialogue would give you a lot more to think about if you were to bother reading. I hope imageboards aren't your prime source of information and discourse.
>>
Op if you're so smart how come you never read any decent novels that talk about these exact issues?
Atheits 0 jesus 1
>>
>>18228210

Sauce for you.
>>18228191
>>
>>18228141

>You, obviously.

Well, we're all here in this thread giving advice and responding to posts. I'm not sure what "caring" if OP changes has to do with it.

>Otherwise, what's the point of typing all that out?

Someone made a statement about my post and I responded. Thats kind of how this website works.

>On the other end, you're also trying really hard to shove it down his throat that he's a shitbird with the underlying implication that you're absolutely right.

I don't really care which way he decides to think. When you act like an asshole people will call you one. Its just a statement of fact. Its reality. Feeling one way or another about it changes nothing. There is no "underlying implication" I'm right because the proof is his own life; people don't like him. He doesn't connect with anybody and, if you have a basic grip of logic, you might attribute it to some of the behavior he's displayed in this thread.

I often get exhausted with this "Y U TRYIN SO HARD?" defense whenever some takes issue with something you say. Whether you agree with it or not we're all here wasting time and arbitrarily posting about people we'll never meet and never speak to again so if you want to boil it down to its most simplest form we're all kind of here throwing our opinions in this thread for nothing. Using the fact that I responded to something as proof of its lack of validity is pretty weak form, anon, because the same could be said for you bothering to type out a response to my response.

>it betrays your intent if you wanted OP to think more or if you actually just wanted him to see things your way.

Again, this is /adv/. The whole point in responding to threads is to give people your perspective and get them to see things your way. Whether or not they agree is kind of irrelevant once the thread 404s. You ever been here before? You seem to not have a good grasp of the concept.
>>
>>18228217
>Someone made a statement about my post and I responded. Thats kind of how this website works.
Is it? Weren't you just rattled by OP enough to waste even more of your time?

>because the same could be said for you bothering to type out a response to my response.

But that's the difference. I acknowledge that I care. You have a hard time accepting that you do.

>You ever been here before?
I have now. Tell me again how this place is "supposed" to work?
>>
>>18228186
You can actually argue with most drunk people.
>>
>>18228164
>>18228180
These.

>>18228186
What does this have anything to do with the post you're replying to? What an idiot.
>>
>>18228210
Oh my mistake, I thought they were the same guy
>>
I feel the same. I think its because they view the world purely through self interest. I don't think that's a bad thing either. I just feel incapable of doing and being as competitive as they are.
>>
Gotta sleep will check thread when I get off work please keep bumped
>>
>>18228210
More sauce? Will check that stuff out
>>
>>18227812
What are some good places to find clubs if you're not in school? I'm going to be disabled in August till August.
>>
>>18228401
any classes you might take, such as a sport or learning a language
>>
>>18228370
Seriously? That reading alone is 400 pages of research that references easily decades of work, complete with bibliography.

Phenomenology might get you more bang for your buck, considering that you aren't a researcher.

Husserl also has more detailed ways of reflecting on experience, since that is what rationality claims to do so well. For example, If you see Buddha on the road, kill him. This calls into question not Buddha, but your concept of him, which always falls short of the thing named. Words are limited. In referring to 'rationality' you only name a thing, you never encapsulate it in the label, and you are always at the risk of deforming it for your own motives. So it's very easy for people to mask poor arguments when they say 'logically speaking' like say >>18228217 when he says "I'm right because the proof is his own life... if you have a basic grip of logic" and "proof of its lack of validity" and "The whole point..."

This is NOT a display of logic itself, as if it were correct simply by saying that it is logical. Phenomenology allows you to illustrate better the difference between concept and reality by describing experience. The very word 'concept' is of course, related to 'conceiving' in the sense of birth. Concepts are children of the intercourse between ourselves, and reality. They do not reflect reality like a mirror and they did not come out of a vacuum. They arise from an understanding of experience, which can never fully capture reality. Logic, of course, is not reality. It's a language to help understand it. And our understanding is not improved by a separation of thought from feeling, as if to assume it were even separable to begin with.

Foucault also calls into question truth by revealing how knowledge always presupposes power, but that would take many lengths to explain and it's always better to go straight to the source.
>>
>>18228370
So I'll rec you

Phenomenology (Marcel and Husserl)

Post-structuralism (Foucault)

That will help you bolster an understanding of the limits of rationality (as if anyone ever even got close to reaching those limits in this thread), and the 'mis'conceptions regarding it. The thought/feeling divide is common to western thinking, but not so much in other cultures, which I can't readily name. Once you historicize how a lot of 'commonsense intuitions' come about, you see how contingent they are to circumstances rather than serving as purveyors of truth. Phenomenology then reasserts the importance of reality through experience, and provides a disciplined approach to understanding it.

This is an exercise for some undergrads taking philosophy (don't know what western curricula focus on).

>Who am I?
You are not the answer to that question, but the one asking. Again, the wide gap between concept and reality is illustrated, and the ease with which people take that distance for granted.

Take your time with it. You'll be better read than everyone in this thread in no time. Doesn't make you superior, (and if that were important then I think you're better off not bothering) but it makes everything better. The unexamined life is not worth living for a human being. Don't let the cliche dry out how meaningful that statement can be.
>>
>>18228156

Firstly, I'm not the op. I've made connections plenty of times in my life and through it have discovered that you can only have truly lasting friendships with like minded individuals. In fact, I'll say at earlier points in my life i was too emotional.

I let people lift me up and let me down in alot of ways.
I met alot of selfish people and endured alot of b.s.
Then I decided it was better to let go of toxic friendships.
My circle is much smaller than it once was but there's also alot less drama and fighting.

You might want to percieve it as a superiority complex but it's not.
I never thought of myself as better in any way.
All i ever did was ask why.
Why fight with ones you love?
Why hurt those you care about?
Why lie to your partner?
I'm not incapable of these things,
i just choose not to give in to my impulses. Anger or otherwise.

My friends that i can still call friends are like this. We treat eachother with respect instead of feeding into the vicious cycle of back talking, envy, and betrayal alot of people consider to be "normal" in their adult friendships these days.
It's not about superiority, it's about wanting real bonds with people you can trust.
>>
>>18228918
>the smarter you are, the more miserable everything around you becomes
>petty/childish behaviors in so-called adults
>remind yourself how low the "average" truly is
>people with similar intellectual prowess
>It's not about superiority

Well, I don't know what to say. Granted, you get to clarify what you meant but that first post alone could either have been written better or was in fact more revealing of your character.

And what you're saying now seems incongruous with being more miserable. It seems like getting 'smarter' about relationships was better for you, not more miserable.
>>
>>18228949

Again, I was referring to op when i said that so perhaps I should've worded it differently.
Op identifies as being above the average iq, which can easily make it harder to find friends.
What i meant was that the more self aware you are, the more you will recognize the negative aspects to society.
Like being able to tell when someone is lying to your face, recognizing the fake smiles and insincerity that is so commonplace.
Witnessing people lashing out over trivial things etc.

Even with a great life and great friends you will still be subject to the misery of others in the work place, in your love life or even in random encounters with strangers.
Alot of high iq people are loners
Because it is harder to find people with similar interests and beliefs.
I'm not saying there can't be exceptions on either side, it's just less common.

Having a few good friends is way better the 20+ fake friends who will envy him for his looks or intelligence and wait till he's not around to say/do rude things against him.
>>
>>18228401
YoYr nor me (op)
>>
File: SG_IAMHere_pinkBkd_400pxlH.jpg (41KB, 340x450px) Image search: [Google]
SG_IAMHere_pinkBkd_400pxlH.jpg
41KB, 340x450px
>>18227792
>>
>>18230266
?
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.