[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for people who have taken the GRE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: GRE.jpg (11KB, 303x163px) Image search: [Google]
GRE.jpg
11KB, 303x163px
I understand that this board is almost nothing but relationship advice but I still think this was the best place for this

I take the general GRE for graduate school in a month. Ive been told by some people that its almost worthless to study for as it tests general knowledge and reasoning skills (imagine that) and doesn't require much actual book knowledge. How much truth is there to this? I ask because between classes, work, and studying for finals I don't really have all that much time and want to know how much time I should reasonably invest in preparing for it. The few practice tests that I've took put my estimated scores at decently above where I want them although I've yet to take an actual full sized 4 hour one.

Also what section did you find the most challenging and why?

TLDR: how useful is studying for the GRE? what did you find the most difficult?
>>
>>18225980
It's just a college level GRE.

The math part is easy af since it's dumbed down so even liberal arts majors can do it.

The other parts are just a lot of vocabulary if I remember right.
>>
I took the GRE last year and scored in the top 5% for both sections.

I studied and I recommend you study as well. Personally, I grabbed a physical study book from kaplan off Amazon and used that.

The verbal section in particular you should DEFINITELY study for. There is a lot of advanced vocabulary on there that you should familiarize yourself with. If you have an android phone, there are some great apps for studying GRE vocab.
>>
>>18226069
Where are you studying right now?
MIT? CalTech?
>>
>>18225980

chill the fuck out bro.

you MUST take practice tests.

this test is as important as all of your grades w.r.t. where you get in.

set aside time to take minimum 3 entire practice tests.

studying WILL boost your score. telling white kids not to study is another jewish trick.

and let's be real here...what percentile are you aiming for? why?
>>
You are going to take the test and decide you should have studied. It is very useful. Your GRE score isn't going to matter much though.

Studying the math is the most practical and probably has the most payoff. The analytical writing section is a crap shoot, don't even worry about it, most programs don't give a shit about it anyways. The vocab/reading sections are harder to study for. There are lists of common GRE words that you could study if you feel the need. I took a GRE class and the FIRST question I got asked was on a word I learned in the course ("assuage").

it's more about getting into the "mode" than anything. I did worse on the math section than the english one, and I'm a mathematics major huehue. The hardest part of the test is that it's a standardized test. If you don't do well sitting in a room looking at a computer under fluorescent lights for hours then don't worry about it too much. Grades, letters of rec, undegrad research, yadda yadda are all way more important.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.