[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eviction Notice; Law Help?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0964.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0964.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
So lemme give it to you straight. I'm 2,350 behind rent, and have been behind since January. Some reasons are I'm the only one who had a job in the house, and quit because I realize my girlfriend and 2 other roommates were not able (I call laziness) to get a job to help with rent.
Not only that, but the last two roommates that have decided to live here did not pay rent and gave false promises of doing so, giving the illusion they would by paying the first month.
My question is, my roommate that hasn't not payed any rent since January left his Mac Laptop that is worth about $2k resale. Mind you, he had a bad drug problem, and said have given him countless times to pay ANYTHING, and just went to Daytona Beach without giving us a dime. Should I bite the bullet and accept the consequences my roommates have put me in, or go full-retard and possibly dig myself a deeper whole and sell his laptop?
>>
This sounds pretty.. Complex? If I understand correctly there are what like.. 5 people? And you're the only one that had a job that you quit because no one else worked either?

Sounds like you should sell the laptop I don't see any reason why that would be morally wrong given the situation but someone else will need to confirm it's legal in this situation
>>
>>18219491
4 roommates, I'm pretty stressed so not thinking straight. I just learned if I come up with 1,900 of it, I can stay. By Monday. And I didn't quit my job like a retard, I still have a means to make money. They don't.
>>
>>18219498

sell the laptop and let the others be evicted. let that be a lesson to you on shitty roomates and the importance of paying bills first. Don't ever let yourself get so far behind again. If you get roomates that wont pay their share, ask for them to be evicted or move out.
>>
never accept a roommate without first months rent up front.

I don't care what their situation is.
>>
>>18219478

sell it, but try to do so without leaving any paper trail. that way if he comes looking for it you can just say 'uh, i haent seen your laptop bro'. truth is if hes a druggie and the kind of person that leaves his laptop when he moves the chances of him sueing you are virtually non existent.

as a general rule you're supposed to accomodate up to 3 months of holding their stuff depending on your state and whatnot, but i wouldnt worry about it.
>>
>>18219564

this, i dont understand how you got in this situation OP, I've been subletting my spare room for years. you ALWAYS take first and last months rent up front and you NEVER give someone more than a 3 day extension on the rent. you give them thirty days notice as soon as they miss that.
>>
OP, this is a particularly intricate situation you've laid out for yourself.

First, I'll tell you what you should do. You should sell his laptop without leaving a paper trail, even sell it for under it's valued price. If he asks about it, it's likely that there are enough people around that the blame can't be placed on you.

Next, you have to have an uncomfortable conversation with your landlord (or whatever agency you go through), in private. Tell him what's going on, and give him whatever money you can, if you want to attempt to stay, and say that you would like to keep a positive report with him, but as far as everyone else, they are not making an effort to assist in paying the rent. Realize that you're probably still going to have to find a new place to live, but you have a job, so start saving in an attempt to find a new place.

But, now that we have what you should do out of the way, let's talk about how you got in this situation in the first place.

You have to be more selective with the company you keep, Anon. You can't just take someone's word that they're going to help pay rent, you need to have a history with them, and you'll also have to have a certain portion of upcoming rent(s) up front. I would also recommend you have a good understanding of their personal history. I realize that a lot of stuff comes out of the woodwork when you live with someone, but I personally wouldn't live with someone that has a drug problem or is inherently lazy. To be fair, you seem like a younger person, and a lot of these room mates may have been previous friends, but from personal experience, it's not a good policy to live with your social circle, either.
>>
>>18219478
pay the 1900 or whatever they need you to pay to stay, tell them you want to terminate the lease, pay whatever fee that has, and then go find a place on craigslist for like $600 per month instead of your ridiculous bill.
>>
>>18219617
Pretty much nailed it OP, except for selling his laptop. Do NOT do that, you have enough problems. Might have to move back in with mom and dad if you can, or work out some manner of payment with your landlord or whatever. If you're trying to make it right, chances are they will hear you out at least. One of the lessons you'll learn in life is that as you get older friends become much much more valuable and harder to find. And living with someone is the quickest way to degrade a relationship.
>>
>>18219478
your only option is small claims court
if you sell the laptop you're a thief, not much different from them
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.