[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most effective charity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: are you high.jpg (27KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
are you high.jpg
27KB, 320x320px
My idea of effective charity on the scale of $1000 donation is like this.

>write a small, illustrated and entertaining essay containing the most basic life knowledge, things people learn by the time they are 50
>find an intelligent, loner type of kid, maybe one who has shitty parents
>give him the essay, have him promise to read it, and give him $1000

What would be in the essay? Just little comments on subjects like dating, the economy, religion, philosophy, and psychology. There would only be the most important bits of info, and they would be put very frankly so that a young teenager can easily understand.

I never got the money to buy a gaming rig, a guitar, or even full library of books. I never dressed well. $1000 before I was the age to work would have helped me a lot, and so would some unbiased adult knowledge.

What do you guys think? I'd rather do this than give money to some agency that pockets a portion and might not even help people.
>>
He'll use your money for drugs and videogames and won't read your stupid book.

Anon, kids don't listen to advice, that's why they're kids.
>>
I've thought about something like this as well. I was a jobless shut-in well into my twenties and I could've used someone to mentor me out of that rut earlier.
As a young male you're basically not allowed to complain and are given no sympathy or benefit of a doubt. You're expected to do your job better, with less hand holding, to provide for yourself, to be OK with working any job. Otherwise you're a slacker.

Not saying it's a good idea to just give someone money like that but we could use some programs that help people like this while leaving their dignity intact.
>>
>>18219449
you're one of those guys that has a really negative outlook and discourages people from doing anything because, according to you, the most negative outcome will always happen?

what percentage of kids buy illegal drugs anyway? do you mostly talk out your ass?

also, stupid book? if you processed the description of it, you'd see it would be almost impossible to be stupid. it just contains mature knowledge, something you probably lack as a 4chan faggot. most of you guys are fucking useless and I use you as a sounding board, but I don't want to alienate those of you who are reasonable by saying that...

>>18219451
There are mentorship programs. They really cut into work though. Maybe it's good that way - some are very successful people who don't need to work full hours.
>>
>>18219451
>>18219485
>very successful people
or just something like big brothers and sisters
>>
>>18219451
This is also true for females with shitty parents unless you're above average appearance wise.

>>18219427

I'd start with encouraging further education and it's importance to keep them out of dead end jobs. I'd explain things like financial aid, credit cards apr% and debt. The ins and outs of savings and its investment options. Maybe just make it as encouraging as possible because depending on the situation that kid may be already very depressed and not striving toward anything.

I left home and attempted to enroll in college immediately. My parents refused to provide their tax info so i couldn't apply for financial aid. My exs senpai encouraged me to get a credit card for books and such but didn't explain how it really worked so i ran it up trying to pay for courses. Had a shit job that barely allowed me to make payments and when i broke up with my bf and had to move out i was now in debt and had to drop out of school and work more hours to afford rent on my own. My debts are smaller now but I have nothing to show for years of hard work.
Finally old enough to not need my parents tax info but live too far to go back to my school and I'm too broke to fix my shit car.
I envy the kids with parents that throw money at their education. Half of them don't even want to go to school because they know that eventually they'll just inherit their future. Meanwhile, my own mother inherited grandmas estate and buys herself a bigger house when she's already got a big house. Fml
>>
>also, stupid book? if you processed the description of it, you'd see it would be almost impossible to be stupid. it just contains mature knowledge, something you probably lack as a 4chan faggot.

4/10 trying too hard
>>
>>18219503
>females too
wouldn't want to advise a female as a male

>tell them to go to college or training
yaboi

>maybe too discouraged
Motivation is a complicated one, hard to boil down into clear cut advice, but it deserves a spot

>savings
ppl are dense in this respect. Id probably point out the six-figure makers who spend all their money. ppl don't want that to be them.

>left for college
>parents refused to provide tax in
Ya. My dad refused and my mom had 90k in non retirement savings that fucking disappeared according to her.

My parents are cancer and they ruined a decade of my life, not to mention the somatic symptoms ive developed.

>fml
hey you're in the land of opportunity, comparably speaking
>>
>>18219561

>> land of opportunity
Care to elaborate?
Personally i feel trapped and ashamed about being so far behind.
I intend to go back whenever i can afford to move again.
>>
>>18219427
>write a small, illustrated and entertaining essay containing the most basic life knowledge, things people learn by the time they are 50
Millions of these exist on the Interwebz. Couple thousands in the library (which is dirt cheap). Someone who doesn't show any initiative doesn't deserve extra help.

>find an intelligent, loner type of kid, maybe one who has shitty parents
>loner type
So he/she didn't even bother to learn basic social skills? If the person is intelligent and didn't find all the information, they are almost a lost case.

>and give him $1000
Unless he's in the third world, it's basically nothing.

> young teenager can easily understand.
But muh intelligent loner. Or does any loner do now?

>I was the age to work would have helped me a lot
Yeah, a gayming rig would help you a lot to waste more time. Also all these things are easy to buy with jobs you can do as a kid.

>I'd rather do this than give money to some agency that pockets a portion and might not even help people.
Charity is often not as efficient as it should be but how the fuck are you going to find the people to give cash too and make sure that they fit the criteria and fulfill their end of the bargain? It's a silly idea from start to finish.
>>
>>18219569
I mean being in the modem world. You can really be whatever you want within reason, unless you get a serious illness.

I know that doesn't make classing down and losing direction feel better, but it is something to be grateful for.

>intend to go back
Yeah I'm from nj where if you miss the jumping off you gotta get a real job then bust your ass doing work and college at the same time. My roommate is doing that because he got a PE teacher degree and like most ppl doesn't like it.

I could afford to live and go to school in philly the very moment but I don't want to.

>>18219571
Care to point out how its a silly idea besides pessimism and being kind of a dick

>they might not read it
Valid point

>theres good advice all over the internet for free
Absolutely true, but peep this heaping pile of shit. There's a lot of bad info obscuring the good info, if you even want to call places like this info

>if the kid needs help he's a lost cause
Ur a sage

My old best friend is a defeatist like you guys. He has mental cancer.
>>
>>18219603
Clarifying: by "you guys" I obviously mean the discouraging defeatists with few objective points
>>
>>18219603

I suppose you're right there, I just wish i lived in a progressive area with those kinds of options like you instead of stuck in a rural place 5 hours from a college. You've got a good heart op, the world could use more people like you. I hope whatever you do for a living allows you to share more of that with the world. We need more good people in high places.
>>
>>18219603
>pessimism
Nigga, please. Optimism isn't giving some lazy faggot money and hoping that he stops being a lazy faggot. People don't change their thinking unless they are forced to when realizing that it's not working, they are unlikely to realize it just from being bribed to read.

>if the kid needs help he's a lost cause
That was never said. Lack of initiative makes one an ALMOST lost case, specially in context of this method of help. You don't create initiative by rewarding the lack of it.

A simpler fix to the idea would be:
>read this shit
>provide a plan how you're going to use your knowledge
>provide a list of things you need for it
>give money for the shit
>add more money if the person showed progression
Then again, that's how many loans for the poor work already in first world countries sans the first part.
>>
>>18219632
Oh, rural. Yeah I should have checked my privilege. Sorry. Maybe move? Where I live matters a lot. You need to be in the right place, know the right ppl, etc.

>a nice guy
Eh idk about that maybe more of a stalin-esque asshole with a negative net impact, but I'm gonna keep trying to do well and do right.
>>
>>18219643
>>18219632
and you should keep trying too. whatever it takes to stay afloat and self-actualize, because you seem like an honest person.
>>
>>18219640
>lazy faggot
but lots of kids aren't lazy they just don't know where to start

>government programs incentivise
Yeah most of us pay taxes already though

>whats giving him $1000 gonna do
Maybe just turn a persons head and get them to respect what knowledge is being given to them?

Its kind of a crackpot idea but idk it might help
>>
>>18219696
>they just don't know where to start
Because they are never taught to where to look, often lack the time, etc, etc, etc so it's very understandable but all of this can be fixed with initiative and lack of it is laziness. Call it "learned helplessness" if you don't like the L word.

>Yeah most of us pay taxes already though
That get used for useless shit while the infrastructure and people in need get left behind. Though that's a topic beyond the scope of any thread I guess.

>Maybe just turn a persons head and get them to respect what knowledge is being given to them?
Why? And even if ... "Yeah, this are some interesting ideas. These guys must be right. Anyway, now what GPU do I buy for my gayman PC?"
>>
>>18219727
That's still just pessimism, accurate for someone viewing the world with a negative lense. You're just addressing the negative possibilities and discounting the positive.

$1000 is just two weeks work anyway. I'm not gonna be a perfect youth mentor or start a new government program in two weeks.
>>
>>18219829
But anon, I am the most optimistic fuck there is. Having a positive outlook shouldn't blind you to the most realistic outcomes though, good intentions without a real plan are useless a best, harmful at worst.

If you're going to throw money out of a helicopter or just give every homeless guy you see 1k, the chance that it will make any noticeable effect on their lives beyond "let's buy some dumb shit" is pretty low. Sure, 1k isn't that much in the first place but there are better ways to invest it to help others and since money is finite, it's better to look for more effective methods.

Spoon-feeding kids with money for basic shit can work on a long-term basis maybe, say giving them money for going to school, which will also be nice practice for intelligent spending. If our means are just $1000 per person, it's better to ensure that these are spent in a way that promises the biggest advancement for the kid. Let's not forget that for every wasted dollar, you passively screw over kids who could've used it better, since finite resources and all that.
>>
>>18219868
yeah I see your point. It is pretty reckless. I'll give it more consideration
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.