[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Financial Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1490268985097.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1490268985097.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Hey /adv/, I need some help from you guys.

TL;DR:
Any general advice or tips regarding managing money or financial decisions? Literally anything helps.

Long:

So I graduated highschool last year, and I just finished my first year of university studying business. Transferring into real estate this coming semester and I should have my real estate license by January 2019.

This is all sort of irrelevant to my problem, but what I needed help with is sorting money.

My family is lower-middle class. Parents are in debt a few thou, but generally we get along okay. We live in a pretty decent house in Vancouver, and generally we cover all the shit we need covered.

So the thing is, I'm 19, and I have no clue how to manage my money. I'm working a decent job making around $16 an hour working 4 shifts a week, so I'm making something around $500 a week. However, I get paid every 2 weeks, and I find that I'm always out of money by the end of the week. I'm absolutely trash at managing my money.

I spend most of my money on just outings with friends. Food, basic bills (like probably $120 a month on phone/gym), and other than that I mostly spend my money on recreational shit and my girlfriend sometimes.

I decided to move out for a week just to see what the fuck it's like managing on my own, and it was okay but I was living on scraps to be honest. I'm back home now, and I'm still just barely managing with the money I've got.

I really want to save up for a decent car and since summers rolling around I want to be able to take my girl on a trip somewhere, and all this, but the way my financial situation is, that's all completely unrealistic. I also wont really be making any income off of real estate for the first few months, so Im going to need to have some money saved for then.

Thanks a lot guys.
>>
>500 bucks a week
>cant get by

Stop being a spoiled cunt and plan your expenses.
>>
>>18218851

That was an accident. I meant to say $500 every two weeks, and I finish it by the end of the two weeks.

And "planning my expenses" is exactly what I came here for help with.
>>
Give us a more detailed overview of your expenses

You didn't mention housing expenses, just that you're "back home", does that mean your
parent's house ?

Do you have to pay for your own food ?

More parameters plz
>>
>>18218879

Yeah, I'm living with my parents again. Regarding expenses, my parents cover only what they really need to cover, meaning rent and groceries. But since I'm usually out working or with friends, I tend to eat out anyway (let's say $15-ish per meal 4 times a week)

Gym costed $70 for initial subscription but it'll be $13/month and phone plan costs about $50/month

I tend to buy clothes every now and then. Maybe like $60-100 on clothes every month or so. Sometimes I'll go months without buying clothes.

I also smoke, but I've been cutting down on that because it's an expensive habit. Maybe $30/week on packs.

Other than that, it's mostly spent on recreational stuff. Going out with friends, buying stuff for my girl, etc. I don't really know figures for that.
>>
>>18218879

What I do know, however, is that if I'm gonna be buying a car, i'll probably get one for anywhere between 6-10k, and just keep it for a few years rather than buy a few shitty ones. I can finance one, and it'll probably run me around 12k after tax and interest and everything.

I'm also in the process of paying off my student loan (It was $3000, I've got around $1,100 left to pay off). From there, I'm going to my girlfriend's prom this month which is gonna run me probably $120, and next month is our 6 month anniversary and I'll likely buy her something decent for a couple bucks, so yeah there's that.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.